This should keep me buisy for a while. If no one minds I will post my progress pics as I go. I would realy appreciate constructive ideas as I build. Thanks in advance...

Went shopping. Tapco had the reciever all set up for bending and heat treating. I can do both. For my first build I'll go with a pre made flat. Bought a ak kit also. I cant wait to start. I plan to replace the FCG gas piston and mag parts. I hope it adds up for 922.

ak_flat.bmp

post-13220-1224811027_thumb.jpg

This should keep me buisy for a while. If no one minds I will post my progress pics as I go. I would realy appreciate constructive ideas as I build. Thanks in advance...

Went shopping. Tapco had the reciever all set up for bending and heat treating. I can do both. For my first build I'll go with a pre made flat. Bought a ak kit also. I cant wait to start. I plan to replace the FCG gas piston and mag parts. I hope it adds up for 922.

Don't forget your receiver flat counts as a US part as well.

Thanks a bunch..

Thanks a bunch..

Built my less than fancy flat jig today. Just a few holes to drill in the flat stock when my flat comes in.

post-13220-1224892125.jpg

post-13220-1224892153.jpg

I hope it adds up for 922.

Good thing you said it here for evidence, cuz the ATF has absolutely no way of enforcing that law anyway.

What FCG do you plan on using?

Standard single hook Tapco. Nothing fancy. This is going to be kinda like my daily driver. Even though it is fun and keeping me out of trouble, its like a hot rod. I probably buy one for what I will have into it. I going to give it a try anyway. Need to tweak my jig. F@#!*D up my first flat today.

Ooops!

Wow, talk about jumping in head first! :super: Go for it man! You do know you can buy a US made receiver from NDS or somewhere and it already has the rails welded in place, with all the heat treating and all that right? Just throwing that out there. That's the route I'm taking with my Polish UF kit and my AMD-65.

After doing all that I plan to try building my Romy G from a flat. This thread should be good for me by that time too...thanks for sharing.

One more thing I've read about using a prebent / US made receiver, as opposed to a flat...the flat won't have a serial number so if you ever want to sell it in the future, you can't without first having it registered....or something like that...I'm sure someone here can comment on that.... Nalioth?

I would assume it's cheaper, so long as you already have the neccesary tools and you get it right by at least the second try.

Almost all of my AK and AR builds are built to sell anyways, and since I live on a college campus I can't really get an FFL. So NDS and the like are lifesavers for me.

So far as I understand the law, you can build a weapon from a flat or an 80% block and keep it for yourself, save some cash...But in order for it to be sold or transfered to someone (like if you wanted to sell it on Gunbroker) you'd have to register it and imprint a maufacturers serial number on it (IE. have a manufacturers FFL).

I would assume it's cheaper, so long as you already have the neccesary tools and you get it right by at least the second try.

Almost all of my AK and AR builds are built to sell anyways, and since I live on a college campus I can't really get an FFL. So NDS and the like are lifesavers for me.

So far as I understand the law, you can build a weapon from a flat or an 80% block and keep it for yourself, save some cash...But in order for it to be sold or transfered to someone (like if you wanted to sell it on Gunbroker) you'd have to register it and imprint a maufacturers serial number on it (IE. have a manufacturers FFL).

[/

I checked and read on this and that is how it reads. Only if a sale or transfer does the registration needs to be completed. I have the new jig made and my flat is here and my kit will be here this weekend. I cant wait. If I keep screwing up flats I will go with a prebent flat that needs to be cut and drilled. This forum has led me in the right direction to get this built. Some have posted to watch or you will get the fever well, I got it.

I almost forgot. I posted its brothers on the other topics. Shooting these guns has me and my 12 year old son closer. He has as much fun shooting these. I think he is the only kid in the 7th grade to be shooting a M4 and a AK..

post-13220-1225239991.jpg

post-13220-1225240001.jpg

post-13220-1225240011.jpg

Ooops!

Wow, talk about jumping in head first! :super: Go for it man! You do know you can buy a US made receiver from NDS or somewhere and it already has the rails welded in place, with all the heat treating and all that right? Just throwing that out there. That's the route I'm taking with my Polish UF kit and my AMD-65.

After doing all that I plan to try building my Romy G from a flat. This thread should be good for me by that time too...thanks for sharing.

One more thing I've read about using a prebent / US made receiver, as opposed to a flat...the flat won't have a serial number so if you ever want to sell it in the future, you can't without first having it registered....or something like that...I'm sure someone here can comment on that.... Nalioth?

If bending this next flat looks like shit I will go with the prebent. I have the mig for the rails. I'm just one of those guys that hate to have a little peice of sheet metal beat me down. Thanks for the reply. I need all the help I can get. It may take a few tries..

Ooops!

If bending this next flat looks like shit I will go with the prebent. I have the mig for the rails. I'm just one of those guys that hate to have a little peice of sheet metal beat me down. Thanks for the reply. I need all the help I can get. It may take a few tries..

I am beside myself and have to keep reminding myself that this is only a hobby. I downloaded another template drilled all the holes pressed out an almost flawless reciever. Take it out of the jig go to measure and fold my top rails and realized that the damn template didn't allow for the top rails. This is just a cutting/drilling jig for a reciever blank that has the top rails already formed. :ded: I'm kinda glad I am going through this maybe to help someone else not to make the same mistakes. It's not like the articles I read about pressing these flats.Most guys that press them have a lot of $ invested in presses and jigs.I family even has these in a machine shop but I know after seeing my reciever from today it will look just as good. This is not the template for a complete reciever unless you leave your steel long to bend and cut your top rails. Thrid time is a charm. I'm out 15 bucks total.

post-13220-1225324893.jpg

Ooops!

I am beside myself and have to keep reminding myself that this is only a hobby. I downloaded another template drilled all the holes pressed out an almost flawless reciever. Take it out of the jig go to measure and fold my top rails and realized that the damn template didn't allow for the top rails. This is just a cutting/drilling jig for a reciever blank that has the top rails already formed. :ded: I'm kinda glad I am going through this maybe to help someone else not to make the same mistakes. It's not like the articles I read about pressing these flats.Most guys that press them have a lot of $ invested in presses and jigs.I family even has these in a machine shop but I know after seeing my reciever from today it will look just as good. This is not the template for a complete reciever unless you leave your steel long to bend and cut your top rails. Thrid time is a charm. I'm out 15 bucks total.

Kit is here. All parts accounted for. Started. Ground down front rivets and popped off junk peice of receiver. Barrel pin suprisingly popped out with a punch. Quit while I was ahead

Ooops!

Kit is here. All parts accounted for. Started. Ground down front rivets and popped off junk peice of receiver. Barrel pin suprisingly popped out with a punch. Quit while I was ahead

Found my gear puller and popped out the barrel. It came out harder than expected. It lets you know when it lets go. When things pop like that you usually get hit in the face with something.

post-13220-1225498963.jpg

Ooops!

I'm not done with one and Iwant to get my parts for the next.. You state that you are building an AMD?? Will a 23mm ak barrel fit these?? I can get lots of regular AK barrels but due the rules you cant get a AMD barrel. If that is the case I can make what I want..Did you get a shortie with your gun ???

Ooops!

I'm not done with one and Iwant to get my parts for the next.. You state that you are building an AMD?? Will a 23mm ak barrel fit these?? I can get lots of regular AK barrels but due the rules you cant get a AMD barrel. If that is the case I can make what I want..Did you get a shortie with your gun ???

All parts demilled. Pay close attention on the rear rivets. Center punch and drill stepping up in bits. I had to drill right through on one. This is a point you dont want to rush. Check and recheck to make sure you dont run off. Mine came out as a little sleeve so I know it didn't run off to the side. Gonna try to bend another Tapco flat when I get it. Prebent is definatly next.

post-13220-1225560315.jpg

Ooops!

All parts demilled. Pay close attention on the rear rivets. Center punch and drill stepping up in bits. I had to drill right through on one. This is a point you dont want to rush. Check and recheck to make sure you dont run off. Mine came out as a little sleeve so I know it didn't run off to the side. Gonna try to bend another Tapco flat when I get it. Prebent is definatly next.

While I am waiting I inspected the kit more closley and found all numbers match on bolt parts and trunion. From what I read this will combat the headspacing issue. Is this true ????????

Ooops!

While I am waiting I inspected the kit more closley and found all numbers match on bolt parts and trunion. From what I read this will combat the headspacing issue. Is this true ????????

I visited a friend today that is a tin knocker and discussed pulling a flat through angle iron to make a gun. He said I was crazy, butwe looked at it and he gave me a 1.25 square stock and told me to use his press while I was there. Lubed up a peice of 18 gage and pressed a perfect channel. We trimmed it and folded the top rails. He said my problem was the pulling on the steel with the bolts, it would probably strech and screw up the bottom holes. Pressing then drilling he said is the way to go.I wanted to fit my front but forgot on his bench. Must have been the beer. :devil:

Ooops!

I visited a friend today that is a tin knocker and discussed pulling a flat through angle iron to make a gun. He said I was crazy, butwe looked at it and he gave me a 1.25 square stock and told me to use his press while I was there. Lubed up a peice of 18 gage and pressed a perfect channel. We trimmed it and folded the top rails. He said my problem was the pulling on the steel with the bolts, it would probably strech and screw up the bottom holes. Pressing then drilling he said is the way to go.I wanted to fit my front but forgot on his bench. Must have been the beer. :devil:

Got the rest of the jigs made today.. Coming along!!

post-13220-1226167656.jpg

post-13220-1226167665.jpg

post-13220-1226167672.jpg

I recently did a conversion with a matching Polish set that was out of headspace (closed on a NoGo). I swapped around some of my extra bolts until I got one that was right. I'd check it to be sure.

I recently did a conversion with a matching Polish set that was out of headspace (closed on a NoGo). I swapped around some of my extra bolts until I got one that was right. I'd check it to be sure.

Yea the smith can check it out in seconds. That is better than living with half a face for the rest of your life. I think anything could happen and as I'm seeing with my first build it does happen to ME.

Yea the smith can check it out in seconds. That is better than living with half a face for the rest of your life. I think anything could happen and as I'm seeing with my first build it does happen to ME.

Not having much luck with the rivets so if I cant make them all real nice I'll do a screw kit until I get the hang of it. The front , back and center supp. taped perfectly . Since I had this done I got itchy and pressed the barrel back in. Here is a tip that I used on other things. Freeze the barrel and heat the front trunion. They almost beg to go tougether. Also freeze the barrel pin before tapping in. It went together easy and it squaired up right.

Ooops!

I'm using the factory short barrel on my build. I have a US made "Snake" brake from Tapco that's an exact duplicate of the original, only longer so I can permanently attach it to make the barrel 16".
Ooops!

I'm using the factory short barrel on my build. I have a US made "Snake" brake from Tapco that's an exact duplicate of the original, only longer so I can permanently attach it to make the barrel 16".

I have a used romainian barrel ordered and will cut it on the lathe. The kit I got is stripped so I have less banging. When I get it I need to measure and hope I can fill the old gas port and drill a new one for the shorter AMD gas tube. After looking at these parts This I think may be my favorite. I'll know more when it's done and I shoot it. Cool gun.
Ooops!

I have a used romainian barrel ordered and will cut it on the lathe. The kit I got is stripped so I have less banging. When I get it I need to measure and hope I can fill the old gas port and drill a new one for the shorter AMD gas tube. After looking at these parts This I think may be my favorite. I'll know more when it's done and I shoot it. Cool gun.

Stripped and sanded the wood on the "G" yesterday. It took 80 grit to get the 1/2" of Romainan Sap off it. Then 220, 800 and 1500. I didn't even have to stain it. I just used a couple coats of tung oil and it looks like a professional job. I'm having no luck with my receiver. Me and my friend made one that I forgot at his house and his 4 year old beat it silly with a tack hammer. I had a young one once and that stuff happens. A tapco came in and I will have it bent at a metal company that said they wouls do the 2 bends for 15 bucks. Aside from the receiver this project is working out fine.