U.S. Sanctions Russian Imports?

Anybody know if this is true? http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/...nt_10252262.htm

If so, we are screwed all the way around. No more Saigas or Russian ammo.

WASHINGTON, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- The United States has slapped financial sanctions on Russia's state arms exporter for its dealings with Iran, a move was described by Russia as something "without international legal foundation," the Washington Post reported Saturday.

Under the U.S. law, any assets of the entities or individuals being sanctioned will be frozen, and no Americans are allowed to do business with them.

The U.S. sanctions were designed to thwart the sales of sensitive technology that could help Iran, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and Syria develop weapons of mass destruction or missile systems, the Washington Post said.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday denounced the U.S. sanctions on Russia's Rosodboronexport, and its subsidiaries, as illegal and unjust.

"These new sanctions were introduced without any international legal foundation whatsoever," Lavrov was quoted as reporting in Moscow.

Russia will not change its policies on Iran because of the sanctions, the Russian foreign minister stressed.

Anybody know if this is true? http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/...nt_10252262.htm

If so, we are screwed all the way around. No more Saigas or Russian ammo.

WASHINGTON, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- The United States has slapped financial sanctions on Russia's state arms exporter for its dealings with Iran, a move was described by Russia as something "without international legal foundation," the Washington Post reported Saturday.

Under the U.S. law, any assets of the entities or individuals being sanctioned will be frozen, and no Americans are allowed to do business with them.

The U.S. sanctions were designed to thwart the sales of sensitive technology that could help Iran, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and Syria develop weapons of mass destruction or missile systems, the Washington Post said.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday denounced the U.S. sanctions on Russia's Rosodboronexport, and its subsidiaries, as illegal and unjust.

"These new sanctions were introduced without any international legal foundation whatsoever," Lavrov was quoted as reporting in Moscow.

Russia will not change its policies on Iran because of the sanctions, the Russian foreign minister stressed.

I don't know about Saiga but Wolf ammo ONLY exports through Rosodboronexport http://www.wolfammo.ru/en/site.xp/052056.html

"So is Saiga owned by the Russian government or by a private company?"

Yes to both.

As I understand it, the Guvmint put the people who they wanted in charge of the former state run ammunition and weapon production factories.

While technically privately run, its with state sponsorship.

Do you really think they are going to trust the people to arm, and supply their military.

Does our country allow it either? Just look at who is producing the weapons, FN for the most part, and they are only here, because its a requirement that they are in the USA.

"So is Saiga owned by the Russian government or by a private company?"

Yes to both.

As I understand it, the Guvmint put the people who they wanted in charge of the former state run ammunition and weapon production factories.

While technically privately run, its with state sponsorship.

Do you really think they are going to trust the people to arm, and supply their military.

Does our country allow it either? Just look at who is producing the weapons, FN for the most part, and they are only here, because its a requirement that they are in the USA.

So that would put the Saigas as very likely to not be imported under the sanction i would assume?

I doubt Saiga's would fall under that b/c its a hunting rifle, seperate from their regular AK's and weapons, best bet is to ask your RAA rep.

Good info here....best bet is to ask RAA, BUT I would make a guess that NOT because if the sources were correct and ROSOBORONEXPORT is only banned from doing business with U.S. Government agencies then I see know reason why RAAC would be affected as they are a private commercial company.

• 4 weeks later...

Russia is selling arms to those with different views than the USA. Heck; somebody has to do it.

The USA is selling arms to those with different views than Russia. Heck; somebody has to do it.

Russia has systematically contacted Syria, Iran, Venezuela, China, and most likely Korea to help them mobilize their militaries and help them with nuclear power. It is only a matter of time. Russia is helping their own economy and using those other countries as pawns....expendable to them.....to do so. The Russians are using our ideals of placing missile defense shields as an excuse, and it is not a very good excuse. Defensive deployments should never be counterbalanced with offensive deployments.

It's all about the $$. Screw us and everyone else along the way. It is only a matter of time. Russia is not asserting their power. Russia is making billions, and at a cost they will not want to pay before all is said and done. The powers that currently have nuclear weapons have the sense and restraint not to use them but as bargaining chips. Some of the folk the Russians are dealing with have shown in the past they may not have not only the restraint, but the power to protect and watch over nukes. We have been aiding the Russians for years in helping keep their nuclear arsenal stable. What is going on currently is at the very least dishonorable and at the most quite volatile. I think we need a sit down and a talk.

It's not likely to affect Saigas because Izhmash has a separate civilian product line which they use to support themselves. Saigas, Tiger hunting rifles and the like. The state arms exporter handles only the military firearms, not civilian ones. The civilian ones are exported by private distributors. So even though it's made in the same factory, it is sold directly to the civilian market and does not go through the military market.

• 3 weeks later...

After buying my .223 Saiga 2 months ago for $359, I wanted a 7.62, but the retailer and distributor in MN (this week) said they don't have them, they don't know when they're coming again, and if they do arrive they'll be drastically higher in price.

Went to a gun show today and a retailer had a 7.62 for $369 new. I bought it quick style.

1/2 experience with the local market. 1/2 pumped up over the steal today.