recoil buffer

I have used buffers successfully in a number of rifles and pistols. I put one in a new Arsenal 5.56 AK, and it short-stroked the bolt and misfed one-to-two rounds out of each mag. I took the buffer out, and it has run flawlessly since then--just as it was designed to do. I learned my lesson.

The AK receiver will not get battered by recoil. You can reduce felt recoil with external methods that will not interefere with the action. Don't buffer.

Tromix is the acknowledged expert for Saiga-12's. Trust them. They could make money selling you buffers, but they don't, because they know better. Follow their advice.

CB3

I believe the problem with the buffers was that it raised the possibility of the bolt carrier from actually making any sort of contact with the back of the receiver. Don't quote me on that though.

The consensus on this forum at the present time is to avoid recoil buffers, and use something like a limbsaver. Just a big ol' recoil pad on the end of your stock if it bothers you. Or use lighter loads. You can get some mighty light 12ga loads that will cycle in a Saiga.

I have used buffers successfully in a number of rifles and pistols. I put one in a new Arsenal 5.56 AK, and it short-stroked the bolt and misfed one-to-two rounds out of each mag. I took the buffer out, and it has run flawlessly since then--just as it was designed to do. I learned my lesson.

Exactly!

As has been stated - recoil buffers are designed for one purpose: separating a person from their money.

If the weapon system had needed a buffer, the designer would have included one.

In some weapon designs, using a buffer can damage the weapon.

In the Kalashnikov, there are other, better ways of taming recoil.

I guess I like being seperated from my cash, as it gives me some piece of mind. The Buffertech buffers are too thick and they will cause short-stroking in standard AK's from my personal experience. I use Blackjack buffers, exclusively, because of this. I run them in everything from my pistol builds, AK's, Galil, Valmet, PSL, S-308 and S-12 and I have had no problems with functioning at all. I do run the greens in the standard AK's, but basically everything heavier gets the blacks. They may or may not be of any benefit, but I feel better using them.

• 3 months later...

I was looking through an old box of gun stuff I had laying around (old scope bases, various parts, etc) and I ran across an AK buffer that had been given to me for a Polytech Legend AK back in 93 or 94. I had never installed it, since I never shot the thing (it was an investment).

I suppose I can try it in my Saiga 12 and see what happens. If it short strokes the bolt, I'm not out any money. Plus, I can thin it down if need be without care of ruining it.

Corbin

Good point.

I checked it and it APPEARS to still be fine. I flexed it, threw it on the floor and even smacked it with a ball peen hammer I had laying around. Seems OK.

We'll see though.

Corbin