Conversion is complete!

I couldn't wait for my paint to arrive to give the rifle a test-assembly. Everything went smooth, no problems! Bolt works just fine, trigger pull is nice.

Here she is:

IMG_1693.jpg

Thanks to EVERYONE on this forum that helped me out, gave tips, etc. Thanks to Brian (Dinzag) for being so quick and helpful in emails. This is my first gun and doing the conversion was pretty damn easy.

Cheers

Joe

I'm thinking about doing my rifle like yours to look like the authentic AK100 series. I have a quad rail and stuff which I could swap out at anytime to normal Saiga, tacticalized, AK100, etc...

That is one of the things that is really cool about these Saigas. You can dress them for the various purposes.

Why did you choose the 15-rd Sure Fire mags?

I'm thinking about doing my rifle like yours to look like the authentic AK100 series. I have a quad rail and stuff which I could swap out at anytime to normal Saiga, tacticalized, AK100, etc...

That is one of the things that is really cool about these Saigas. You can dress them for the various purposes.

Cool man, sounds good. I have some regular Saiga 10 round mags as well. I wanted something a bit higher than 10, but in NJ we can only have a maximum of 15 round magazines. There are some questionable aspects of our law regarding blocked 30 round magazines that can only accept 15 rounds. Some say they are fine, some not so much. The law is very unclear on this. I spoke to a highly regarded gun lawyer in NJ who told me the same. I'd rather not risk it. I'm more than happy with the gun right now!

-Joe

Cool man, sounds good. I have some regular Saiga 10 round mags as well. I wanted something a bit higher than 10, but in NJ we can only have a maximum of 15 round magazines. There are some questionable aspects of our law regarding blocked 30 round magazines that can only accept 15 rounds. Some say they are fine, some not so much. The law is very unclear on this. I spoke to a highly regarded gun lawyer in NJ who told me the same. I'd rather not risk it. I'm more than happy with the gun right now!

-Joe

as far as im aware... the law goes like this.. as long as the modification you do is reasonably perminent its ok.. its the same for pinned adjustable stocks that make them no longer adjustable..

ok

rivit (sp?) - requires tools to remove and can not just be pulled out..

not ok

nut and bolt - not so perminant.. can easily be removed..

thats at least my understanding for things like bocked magazines and colapsable stocks..

-Joe

as far as im aware... the law goes like this.. as long as the modification you do is reasonably perminent its ok.. its the same for pinned adjustable stocks that make them no longer adjustable..

ok

rivit (sp?) - requires tools to remove and can not just be pulled out..

not ok

nut and bolt - not so perminant.. can easily be removed..

thats at least my understanding for things like bocked magazines and colapsable stocks..

Yup. I agree with you there. The problem is, the law does not explicitly state what is permanent and what is not. If for whatever reason you get "busted" by a disgruntled cop, it will be up to the judge to decide in court. It's a potential hassle I just don't want to deal with. My range is very cool as well...very pro 2nd amendment. I just don't want to risk it.

-Joe

Great job, Joe! That really looks nice.

What kind of handguard retainer did you use? Did you also swap out the gas tube?

handgaurd looks like k var.. looks like he got the kvar furniture package.. AK retainer.. clamp on or press on clamp on is way easier.. and yeah you need to swap out the tubes..

all these items can be found on Dinzags website..

hope that helps? i appologize if im wrong on any of those gyuesses.. lol

Ah, almost forgot, two small issues.

The lower handguard has a bit of "play" even with the retainer on tight. No big deal really, still very stable.

Also, after some grinding, the buttstock still has a tiny gap where it goes into the receiver. Still very stable though.

-Joe

excellent job! i have done 4 2s-308 & 2 223s they get easier the more you do them my last one took 11/2 hrs i put blonde romy wood i got off a SAR-3 on it . i made my own lower handguard retainer for it . ill have to post some pics later on tonight in the 223 forum..

Hey Joe

What kind of paint are you waiting for?

Russell

I'm waiting for some Duplicolor low-gloss, high temp engine ceramic paint for the bottom where the trigger plate came off. To be honest, the bare bottom really isn't bothering me nearly as much as I thought, but I'll probably paint it anyway at some point.

-Joe