Gas pistons

I have 2, at first for the 922 part i grabed a AA accelerator piston, but i grabed up a chaos one as a backup if i don't like it. I havn't seen anything on here about it. Anyone used it or am i a guinie pig without knowing it? :rolleyes:

not that that would be that bad a thing, i still have 2.

As long as its the same dimensions as the original, should work fine.

BTW, I love your avatar. I remember when that happened, it made the news.

Its different. the rings in it are closer, and one end is reduced in diamiter. my guess is ro have less reciprocating mass. i'll try to get a pic up.

Glad you appreove of the pic, I found it looking for parts to my 66' Buick Nailhead

Edited by Nailbomb
post-13865-1227121186_thumb.jpg

top pic is AA Accelerator piston, Chaos gas piston, Stock Saiga, bottom is reverse.

One of first I notice is the stock piston and the Chaos piston are chrome plated, the aa is not, they didn't want spend the extra manufacturing cost, but they sure charged you just the same!

One of first I notice is the stock piston and the Chaos piston are chrome plated, the aa is not, they didn't want spend the extra manufacturing cost, but they sure charged you just the same!

Not really sure how to take you with that cameron. I wasn't sticking your products together to fire anyone up, or make a direct comparison between your products. I have already stated my kind words for your products on your section of the forum, and eagerly look foward to getting a "warthog" door breach when production begins.

that said, settle down man. I know you said you were working too much latley, and i know how people feel about the wraithmaker, the 30 round drum, and the "reliability" service. With only a few days in this forum those were clearly stated, but I did snag up one of thier gas pistons out of curosity befor i really looked into them on this forum, and was wondering if anyone had any expirience with it.

hell i'm not even sure what end the small end is suposed to face... I figure i got a 50/50 chance, so trial and error can't be that bad. If its junk, i'm out $35 and my time, But i figured it was worth a shot.

Not really sure how to take you with that cameron. I wasn't sticking your products together to fire anyone up, or make a direct comparison between your products. I have already stated my kind words for your products on your section of the forum, and eagerly look foward to getting a "warthog" door breach when production begins.

that said, settle down man. I know you said you were working too much latley, and i know how people feel about the wraithmaker, the 30 round drum, and the "reliability" service. With only a few days in this forum those were clearly stated, but I did snag up one of thier gas pistons out of curosity befor i really looked into them on this forum, and was wondering if anyone had any expirience with it.

hell i'm not even sure what end the small end is suposed to face... I figure i got a 50/50 chance, so trial and error can't be that bad. If its junk, i'm out $35 and my time, But i figured it was worth a shot.

Man you could not have read Cameron's post more wrong. Cameron along with all of the other vendors are some of the most helpful guys on this forum. They spend every waking moment on THIS forum answering OUR questions all the while trying to produce quality products for our enjoyment. The last time I checked AA was not here doing any of that. As a matter of fact they are on youtube trying as hard as they can to discredit us here.

The vendors here do their damn best to answer every question and as far as I'm concerned do one hell of a job remaining calm after someone has asked the same question for the 1000th time. They even prove their loyalty to their customers by remaining calm when newbie's (me included) smart off to them when they do not like the answer they got. And as far as I'm concerned these hard working people do not deserve to be told to calm down, that is very disrespectful and you would have been better off to ask Cameron as to why YOU THINK he is upset. You would have been told that he probably wasn't mad at all. Don't read emotion into a post unless it is blatantly full of sarcasm or anger. Cameron's post was not, if you knew Cameron or read any of his prior posts you would know that.

Lastly, you compared a product from a hated company to a product from a vendor on this site, what did you think was going to happen?

Man you could not have read Cameron's post more wrong. Cameron along with all of the other vendors are some of the most helpful guys on this forum. They spend every waking moment on THIS forum answering OUR questions all the while trying to produce quality products for our enjoyment. The last time I checked AA was not here doing any of that. As a matter of fact they are on youtube trying as hard as they can to discredit us here.

The vendors here do their damn best to answer every question and as far as I'm concerned do one hell of a job remaining calm after someone has asked the same question for the 1000th time. They even prove their loyalty to their customers by remaining calm when newbie's (me included) smart off to them when they do not like the answer they got. And as far as I'm concerned these hard working people do not deserve to be told to calm down, that is very disrespectful and you would have been better off to ask Cameron as to why YOU THINK he is upset. You would have been told that he probably wasn't mad at all. Don't read emotion into a post unless it is blatantly full of sarcasm or anger. Cameron's post was not, if you knew Cameron or read any of his prior posts you would know that.

Lastly, you compared a product from a hated company to a product from a vendor on this site, what did you think was going to happen?

It is a possibility i may have read his post wrong, thats why i said I was unsure on how to take him. By the exclamation point theres obviously emotion there of some sort, thus why i asked him to calm down. In retrospect it was a mistake to put the 2 right next to each other or even include it in this post.

I apologize for that.

I'm just the new guy on the block trying to get some advice from the only viable forum for this shotgun i've seen, and knowing that company was hated was woried from the get go of being taken wrong and or being accused of trolling(and i'm thinking this is proof positive i had reason to worry).

I am the worst when it comes to reading too much into something, that is probably why I can give good advice...lol. But I have spoken with Cameron and I know for a fact he and Bvamp are two of the nicest guys you will ever hope to come in contact with.

As far as the gas piston goes, Cameron does have a good point as to his and the factory are plated. Is there a good reason for that? He would be the best person to ask and as far as the difference in design, I can't honestly see how making it that little bit lighter by machining off that material would be of benefit.

You are right about this being the best place to look for answers. Sorry that I couldn't answer them for you, though.

Edited by hallboss
I am the worst when it comes to reading too much into something, that is probably why I can give good advice...lol. But I have spoken with Cameron and I know for a fact he and Bvamp are two of the nicest guys you will ever hope to come in contact with.

As far as the gas piston goes, Cameron does have a good point as to his and the factory are plated. Is there a good reason for that? He would be the best person to ask and as far as the difference in design, I can't honestly see how making it that little bit lighter by machining off that material would be of benefit.

You are right about this being the best place to look for answers. Sorry that I couldn't answer them for you, though.

I would assume the plating is for corrosion resistance and possibly a friction reducer.

And thats getting back to comparing the 2 , and that was not the point of this. the point here is i bought the AA one 3 weeks ago, i started lurking here a week ago. I learned the opinions here and bought camerons becaws i felt it was a safer choice. That said i was not trying to compare the 2, just find someone else who may have used one of AA's, and could give me a firsthand opinion of it.

they might have 3 flops, but sometimes even the blind squirrel finds a nut, you know?

and i'de kindof like to think i didn't get duped by buying it. Its too small for a paperweight...

Edited by Nailbomb

It is a possibility i may have read his post wrong, thats why i said I was unsure on how to take him. By the exclamation point theres obviously emotion there of some sort, thus why i asked him to calm down. In retrospect it was a mistake to put the 2 right next to each other or even include it in this post.

I apologize for that.

I'm just the new guy on the block trying to get some advice from the only viable forum for this shotgun i've seen, and knowing that company was hated was woried from the get go of being taken wrong and or being accused of trolling(and i'm thinking this is proof positive i had reason to worry).

I'm sorry, I've been a little busy and didn't realize this thread was going south! You totally read into my statement wrong, way wrong! I simply was pointing out a major difference, and that the surface finishes, Chaos and the stock piston are heat treated and chrome plated for wear reasons, the aa piston is just heat treated and blacken, the blacking of metal parts is a process call metal oxidation, which is a process for rust protection, nothing else, no added wear characteristics, or hardness, just rust protection! My point was this, they are cutting corners, and charging you more for a piston that has less in it!

you should know my defenition of "nice guy" is anyone who doesn't hang up on me and "one of the nicest guys" is anyone who doesn't call me names before they hand up......hehehehehe.......lol

:lolol:

I knew I should have thrown you in there with them, I mean I've been here a month now and you haven't called me names yet....so you're a nice guy too :haha:

• 7 months later...
I have 2, at first for the 922 part i grabed a AA accelerator piston, but i grabed up a chaos one as a backup if i don't like it. I havn't seen anything on here about it. Anyone used it or am i a guinie pig without knowing it? :rolleyes:

not that that would be that bad a thing, i still have 2.

i know this is old but im gonna answer anyway, first let me state, I'm a tig welder/cnc operator at Thompson Center Arms ( iknow not an AK manufacturer, but bear with. im merely stating HOW i gained my knowledge of fire arm function)

the short nubbin design on the not to be mentioned here manufacturer does 2 things according to our engineers whom i asked.

1 less mass allows for faster acceleration of the "puck" and less static inertia to overcome before the power of the gas is transfered to the operating rod/bolt carrier group.

2 allows the puck to actually travel INTO the gas piston tube again transferring more recoil impulse. these 2 benifits are presumeably to help overcome FTE issues.

3 BTW i took my factory puck to work and merely turned it down at one end and gained all the benifits without the 40$ charge

anyone with a simple 3 jaw chuck lathe can do this to their factory puck merely turn the one end to be slightly smaller then the obvious circle that is left after fireing 100+ rounds through your S-12 and turn it as far back as the first crud ring. ill be glad to post a pic of mine if anyone cares to see it

Gothig1,

Please do post a pic.

I assumed the same thing about the longer push because of that smaller piece going into the gas tube.

I'm not saying that I'd buy anything from AA... I own a Tromix, and 2 KA pucks.... BUT the idea has merit.

anyone a Bow guy out there? Why can an 80lb Bow fire an arrow at the same speed as a 185lb xbow with bolts?

Power Stroke... the 80lb acceleration happens over 30" instead of 185lbs of acceleration force over 15." Bow gets 362FPS, Xbow gets 385FPS.... So maybe there is something about the small end.... Lengthening the power stroke may indeed increase the function of the gas system.

I'll never know because I won't send them a dime over at AA.

BUT if someone in SoFL wants to test this out with me and turn one of my pucks down on the rear end, i'd be happy to donate the puck if you donate the time/lathe.

also, anyone know where you can get Stainless Steel coated in TiN?

Edited by SaigaNoobie
Gothig1,

Please do post a pic.

I assumed the same thing about the longer push because of that smaller piece going into the gas tube.

I'm not saying that I'd buy anything from AA... I own a Tromix, and 2 KA pucks.... BUT the idea has merit.

anyone a Bow guy out there? Why can an 80lb Bow fire an arrow at the same speed as a 185lb xbow with bolts?

Power Stroke... the 80lb acceleration happens over 30" instead of 185lbs of acceleration force over 15." Bow gets 362FPS, Xbow gets 385FPS.... So maybe there is something about the small end.... Lengthening the power stroke may indeed increase the function of the gas system.

I'll never know because I won't send them a dime over at AA.

BUT if someone in SoFL wants to test this out with me and turn one of my pucks down on the rear end, i'd be happy to donate the puck if you donate the time/lathe.

also, anyone know where you can get Stainless Steel coated in TiN?

sorry about pic quality i shoot lead not photos :D

post-18336-1247137750.jpg

post-18336-1247137762.jpg

ps i dont know what i can promise but ill look into a side job doing this mod for a tiny fee for the members if my work will let me