Do I Need To Be In Compliance If?

I plan to take a .308 and move the trigger group forward, and put on a Dragunov style stock (thumb hole style), and maybe have a flash hider either welded on or the front sight pushed back and thread the end of the barrel. Essentially I'm attempting a Saiganov conversion.

In either scenario am I subject to 922r? As per the sticky at the top of this forum it would seem no, as is it would not have two or more of the "naughty" features. Am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks all

A flash hider or threaded barrel is considered unsporting and automatically disqualifies it from the sporting category. A permanently-affixed muzzle brake is acceptable, however. With the brake option, and a magazine that's 10 rounds or less, you will not be subject to 922® as the rifle is in an importable configuration, the same configuration as the import-legal Romak-3 / PSL.

Question, if you thread the barrel and had the muzzle brake welded after wards would that meet this requirement

A flash hider or threaded barrel is considered unsporting and automatically disqualifies it from the sporting category. A permanently-affixed muzzle brake is acceptable

The reason that I am asking I want to put a muzzle brake on my saiga 7.62, I want to keep it in the stock format. I am puting in a fcg that is two points. or how many part counts would I need for a threaded muzzle break.

Heres more MUD for your clarity... :up:

I have a PSL... the brake is THREADED AND REMOVABLE!

Also, the PSL was *NEVER* capable of accepting a mag with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, cause NONE WERE EVER MADE FOR IT WITH A CAPACITY GREATER than 10 rounds!

The PSL has a thumbhole stock... that is not QUITE a pistol grip... so theres more grey area for you! :lol:

Enjoy the confusion!!!

:smoke:

Surprising. All the ones I've seen are pinned. You must have one of the rare ones.

Question, if you thread the barrel and had the muzzle brake welded after wards would that meet this requirement

A flash hider or threaded barrel is considered unsporting and automatically disqualifies it from the sporting category. A permanently-affixed muzzle brake is acceptable

The reason that I am asking I want to put a muzzle brake on my saiga 7.62, I want to keep it in the stock format. I am puting in a fcg that is two points. or how many part counts would I need for a threaded muzzle break.

I am quite certain it would meet the requirements, as the ATF has, in the past, allowed such de-militarized weapons to be imported. I believe threading and permanently-attached accessories are mutually exclusive from the ATF's point of view, although you might want to call them and ask.

An otherwise stock Saiga with a threaded barrel has 15 foreign parts. Your new FCG reduces that to 13. If you use a US-made magazine, you're at 10 and legal regardless of capacity. At this point, just about anything you do to the gun is going to reduce the parts count further. Presumably any new handguard will be US-made (after all, why not?), reducing it to 9. A skeleton stock might also count as a pistol grip, which would make it 10 again. Basically, get yourself some Surefire mags and a Galil handguard and have fun.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
I plan to take a .308 and move the trigger group forward, and put on a Dragunov style stock (thumb hole style), and maybe have a flash hider either welded on or the front sight pushed back and thread the end of the barrel. Essentially I'm attempting a Saiganov conversion.

In either scenario am I subject to 922r? As per the sticky at the top of this forum it would seem no, as is it would not have two or more of the "naughty" features. Am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks all

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

It seems if you use a US made FCG you'd be in compliance, as long as any brake or flash hider is also US made, and any magazine you use contains at least one listed US part. You could also (in addition to the US made FCG) replace the gas piston with a US made one and be in compliance with any magazine.

I have a PSL... the brake is THREADED AND REMOVABLE!

I thought a break was Kosher, but a flash hider was not.

Mine is welded, as if they cut the hider off, and substituted a break instead, then chopped off the bayonet mount as well.