Surefire forearm for Saiga rifles

Are these made of the same type of plastic as the Surefire mags?

Comparing the two I would say they are different materials. The forearm resin appears to be loaded up with glass fiber and is very hard with zero gloss. The mags look like a more convention unreinforced resin . . . my guess anyway.

Comparing the two I would say they are different materials. The forearm resin appears to be loaded up with glass fiber and is very hard with zero gloss. The mags look like a more convention unreinforced resin . . . my guess anyway.

I like the look of that forearm but I wasn't too hot on the plastic that surefire used in their 308 mags.The forearm would simplify the conversion process,add rails and looks pretty slick and seeing as how pimping Saigas is fast becoming a hobby of mine I would like so dress up a couple of them differently.

OK, earlier in this thread I posted up that the forearm was kind of loose out on the nose when I first installed it. My solution to tighten things up was to bend the ends of the gas block pin which seemed to solve the problem. After some rough play and plinking it loosened up again. Took it apart and it seemed that the metal inserts in the forearm weren't quite catching the pin properly. Now that the pin was bent it was only catching the edges of the inserts and the range work caused them to lose their grip. It was as if the gas block pin wasn't long enough now that it was bent over.

So I straightened & removed the original pin (which was .90" long) and replaced it with a 1/8"dia x 1.00" roll pin (or some people call them spring pins) that I picked up at the hardware store. A trial fit of the forearm showed that the new pin made things fit really tight, that all movement had stopped and that I didn't need to bend the pin like I had done previously.

post-11521-1229291195_thumb.jpg

To install the pin I did have to resize the hole in the gas block with a 1/8" drill bit, the original Saiga pin is a little smaller, like .120"dia so the hole was too small to take the .125" roll pin.

The rifle is almost where I want it now with the RobArms Vepr buttstock, Surefire forearm & mags, GripPod vertical foregrip/bipod, Insight MX6 light/laser and LaRue iron dot sight. Just need a sling, buttpad and more mags. Will also soon go to 16" on the barrel to enhance maneuverability & reduce weight.

post-11521-1229292056_thumb.jpg

Same exact material. All products have 33% glass blended with Dupont Zytel polymer. The forearm mold had been sand blasted to remove gloss on the finish. It is very hard because the material is thicker.

Greg

Same exact material. All products have 33% glass blended with Dupont Zytel polymer. The forearm mold had been sand blasted to remove gloss on the finish. It is very hard because the material is thicker.

Greg

So you think it should hold up better than the surefire magazines because it is much thicker?I may have to get in line then..

the description says something about "Not for use with throw lever/quick connect accessories", I'm a picatinny virgin, does that imply that I couldnt use a folding forearm grip on these?

The rifle Tri-rails are all Gen 2. For use with all accessories.

The shotgun versions are all Gen 1 and are only for accessories that are attached by fixed hardware.(allen bolts,etc.) The throw lever/quick connect attachments are a little loose on the rails.

The folding grip will work great if it is attached with allen bolt or any other screw type hardware.

Greg

Greg

I had heard they were using a 50% glass filled high temp nylon because of barrel heat.

They do sound like the material is harder when they get dropped,butterfingers me.

Greg

I had heard they were using a 50% glass filled high temp nylon because of barrel heat.

They do sound like the material is harder when they get dropped,butterfingers me.

You are 100% correct. I misunderstood what Phil had told me. They are a Dupont high temp polymer blended with 50% glass. There is a difference between the Dupont blended polymer and "plastic".

I have an a.r.m.s. throw mount that does not even scratch the rail. My mistake.

Greg

...we have Paying Vendors here who are carrying these same products as Gilbert's, and it is unfair to them if you or anyone else is here advertising for them....

Ah ha, I see today now what pissed off some business members. I am in agreement with your posting from the 4th, you should consult my long PM from that same time to BVAMP that I'm assuming he got where I volunteered to remove any links and not advertise for them. From his message it seems you guys thought I was a full time employee that gained commission from forum related sales. As I told BVAMP, I don't make anything off the forum, I just share information like everyone else. I work for the Guard full time but I'm also in the store usually 3 days a month and so I see what's new and what's hot and I voluntarily pass that on to the members. I've been on here over 5 yrs and my loose affiliation with Gilberts has never been a problem. I can see the explosion in membership with new talkers with member number 10,000+, that's great, I can barely keep up with the topics with the little time I spend on here now. And like I told BVAMP, the business sponsorship idea is good for revenue and I agree they should have preferential treatment. Again, I won't advertise my bias for my local shop, but I'd encourage members, in the spirit of free thought which we've enjoyed on here for years, to continue to discuss products from all vendors, not just the ones with a vested interest in the forum.

KY Soldier

So a stock rifle would be 922r compliant with Surefire mags if this forearm were installed correct?

I'm going with that concept though I'm not entirely comfortable with relying on my mags to put me over the 922r hump. My rifle didn't need converting since it is a ver-21 model and I'm happy with leaving the internals factory stock so the forearm and a USA made buttstock along with SGM mags gets me there with a one part cushion (I hope).