scoping my new 308 - ideas and suggestions please

Everyone,

I just won a 308 with wood stock on GB and my plan is to put a scope on it and use it as a primary deer rifle. I may convert it with a thumbhole stock if I can find one - preferable the Saiga wood thumbhole stock if anyone has one...

I've considered the POSP 4x24 scope from Kalinka but not sure it's suited to the 308. Also, I'm looking for something that will give me quick target aquisition - not sure if a POSP will do that or if it's made for the guy who is shooting longer ranges only. I don't think anything more than the 4 power would be needed for the type of hunting I do. I have a 3X9 now and have never used it over 3 power - usually my longest shots are 100 yards or so.

Any advice or feedback would be great - specifically about the POSP 4x24. Others are welcome of course too.

Does the Ultimak mount work on the 308?

Tom B.

Hey Tom, I'm doing the same with mine but I'm not sure which is better, side mount or top mount. I'll probably go with a more conventional hunting scope, Nikon or Simons. I've heard these make great hunting rifles, I can't wait to take it out!

Edited by Hangfire13

I installed a Tasco Pro Point scope and side mount base. I don't like the mounts that attach to the dust cover, just not secure enough but the top mounts that bridge from the butt stock mount to the front sight might work well. The red dot should be fine for 100 yds work. I like the quick detach side mount too, easy to remove if I want to use the iron sights.

100_0393-1T.jpg

100_0431-1T.jpg

One thing about scope mounting, the check on the butt stock is on the low side for scope use, I have an adjustable check piece on order that should help a lot.

I went with the 8x posp on my 308. I love it. I have the factory thumbhole on it as well. I love the combo of them.

The scope sits just slightly high enough to still use irons if needed (you can move the cheek rest on the thumbhole so that you can use irons). That's what i use when i want to blast clays as fast as I can (quick target acquisition on the clays that I place on the side of the dirt berms). With just a twist on the thumbhole, it sits your face up perfectly to use the scope.

My ONLY regret is with the short 16 inch barrel, the posp looks just a tad top heavy.

Looks great Will, I think I'll go the same route you took. How hard to do the trigger and grip and where do I get the POSP?!

Awesome Com-bloc battle weapon!

Thanks,

Trigger group was not really hard.

The hardest thing was putting everything back in place!

Once I ground out the rivets and got the bottom plate off, the trigger hole was already there (single hook type).

The pistol grip nut hole was NOT.

That had to be cut.

Again not hard to do.

In fact there is a diagram complete with measurements floating around on these forums.

The stock is a Choate for the MAK 90 and the only modding it required was at the back where it meets the trigger guard to get a more flush fit.

I'd recommend the Dinzag modified .308 fcg.

The scope is a POSP 3-9x42 rangefinding zoom model.

Edited by Will

That is a Tabuk copy f/h made by NoDak Spud.

But to slap that on a Saiga means a lot of work!

The factory Saiga front sight block actually covers the end of the barrel.

You have to remove it by first driving the pins out.

Then, if you are lucky, it will tap off with a couple of knocks from a mallet.

Or, it may be so tight you have to cut it off.

Once that is done, you have to turn down the barrel, then thread it for the flash hider.

Turning down the outside of the barrel also let me slide on a regular AK fsb with the indexing pin.

308002.jpg

As far as the UTG stuff goes, I've always thought of it as airsoft accessories and stayed away from them.

With POSP scopes, the mount is part of the scope.

Edited by Will

I was thinking of going with a millet dms scope on the 16" saiga for my dad. Has anyone tried this scope on a 308 or anything else? I was also looking at POSP but have never looked through one and thought that 1-4 power of the millet dms sounded perfect.

I just built one similar to Will's. A few thoughts on the 3-9 POSP compared to a 4-15 bushnell on my remington 700..

3 power on the POSP is kind of useless IMO. The field of view at 3x is the exact same at 4-4.5x, it's just farther away, more like looking through a tube. You can have it at 4-4.5x with the exact same FOV, filling the entire view through the scope.

The ret is pretty thin, and harder to pick up compared to a heavy duplex. The duplex on the bushnell seems like it would be a lot faster for anything that's moving. This may be offset in a way by the POSP's illuminated ret at dawn and dusk, which could really come in handy.

The rubber eye piece also seems 'slower'. I can throw up my 700 and instantly get a great scope view, but with the POSP it takes a split second to get in the right position, with the rubber eye piece feeling right. It may be faster with no eye piece.

I absolutely love the rifle, but I don't know if it would replace the 700/bushnell for deer hunting as it's set up.

Edited by clange

The long pull of the trigger does take time to get used to . The stock I like after all it's a Russian rifle and these are Russian add ons.

6x24 POSP works for me.

Eugene, how do you like the skeleton stock? Looks like you kept the stock trigger, how do you like the ergonomics of the stock in relation to the trigger?

Thanks!

I just built one similar to Will's. A few thoughts on the 3-9 POSP compared to a 4-15 bushnell on my remington 700..

3 power on the POSP is kind of useless IMO. The field of view at 3x is the exact same at 4-4.5x, it's just farther away, more like looking through a tube. You can have it at 4-4.5x with the exact same FOV, filling the entire view through the scope.

The ret is pretty thin, and harder to pick up compared to a heavy duplex. The duplex on the bushnell seems like it would be a lot faster for anything that's moving. This may be offset in a way by the POSP's illuminated ret at dawn and dusk, which could really come in handy.

The rubber eye piece also seems 'slower'. I can throw up my 700 and instantly get a great scope view, but with the POSP it takes a split second to get in the right position, with the rubber eye piece feeling right. It may be faster with no eye piece.

I absolutely love the rifle, but I don't know if it would replace the 700/bushnell for deer hunting as it's set up.

Very good points!

And this brings up a couple of others.

You have to decide what and how you plan on using your .308.

I chose the Com-bloc route and so I had to learn to use the POSP, and deal with the inherent idiosycrasies that go along with it.

You may decide to go with a more conventional western scope.

If I were to go that route, I'd definitely get a mount that centers the scope over the bore.