Taking of the gas chamber??

Ummm...I think that needs to be "pressed off". I do not think a mallet is going to cut the mustard here. All you will do is ruin the mallet and maybe the gas block. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

No you can beat if off. You just have to have a good hard mallet or peice of wood to hit it with. After I got it off I polished the barrel surface a little so it was easier to get off and on.

Also, dont forget: heat makes metal expand.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=2457[/iurl]

I've heard of people having big problems trying to press off gas chambers and front sight bases on Saiga rifles. One guy said he though his press was going to turn into a weapon when something broke, but the saiga front sight base finally gave way to the 12 ton press with a loud metal shriek. It seems that Izhmash didn't want people fiddling with them, they are a tight fit.

No you can beat if off. You just have to have a good hard mallet or peice of wood to hit it with

HAHAHAHAH REALLY? sounds a tad extreme to me ,dude!

Yea? Well its either that or setup some sort of split plate base on a press or send it to a smith who will either press it off some way or beat it off.

Heating to 500 works if your burning a turkey at thanksgiving, but wont help in removal. It most likely will burn your gun up pretty good. If you heat everything to 500 all the metal will expand at almost the same rate, nothing will loosen up (except the oil and maybe some paint), they may actually get tighter depending on the metal compounds. In order to aid removal with heat ONE of the surfaces, in this case the gas block, needs to be heated while the other is kept at a cooler temperature. The heat has to be targeted to the area your working on. This helps on tight parts, but as for something that has been pressed on it aint gonna help very much. You can pound on it with a hammer all night long, the results will be bigger forearms and thats about it.

Edited by Doerdie
No you can beat if off. You just have to have a good hard mallet or peice of wood to hit it with

HAHAHAHAH REALLY? sounds a tad extreme to me ,dude!

Yea? Well its either that or setup some sort of split plate base on a press or send it to a smith who will either press it off some way or beat it off.

hahahahaha johnny mac, i don't think you understood what vamp was referring to!

let's put it this way, when i heard you beat it off with a good hard mallet, i was thinking "that is one tough (and horny) mofo!!!" :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Heating to 500 works if your burning a turkey at thanksgiving, but wont help in removal. It most likely will burn your gun up pretty good. If you heat everything to 500 all the metal will expand at almost the same rate, nothing will loosen up (except the oil and maybe some paint), they may actually get tighter depending on the metal compounds. In order to aid removal with heat ONE of the surfaces, in this case the gas block, needs to be heated while the other is kept at a cooler temperature. The heat has to be targeted to the area your working on. This helps on tight parts, but as for something that has been pressed on it aint gonna help very much. You can pound on it with a hammer all night long, the results will be bigger forearms and thats about it.

You made some good points and heat placement IS key.

"Heating to 500 works if your burning a turkey at thanksgiving, but wont help in removal."

I can only share what worked for me and heating it up did. I dont just make stuff up so people will try it and fail

"You can pound on it with a hammer all night long, the results will be bigger forearms and thats about it."

Again, I didnt use a press to get mine off and was able to carefully knock the block off once I had it heated up. Its no big deal provided you have the right tools. Some of you guys act like this thing has .01 press on it. Id guess its closer to .001-.0005....not that big of a deal.

Edited by johnnymceldoo

Doerdie's comments seem logical, but are not correct. Even when both inner and outer metals heat up at the same time, it will be easier to remove them from each other. If you don't have a press, and don't plan to buy one, you need to use a bigger hammer and/or some heat.