Standard Saiga Handguard

I'm looking for suggestions on what type of material could be used as heat shielding on the standard Saiga handguard.

It's a nice handguard overall, ergonomic, sturdy and at the same time flexible. However, the bottom portion sits very close to the barrel, and my thinking is that extended fire would warp and or dis configure it if used in a heated exchange with the zombies after only a couple mags.

I've tried some HVAC stove pipe aluminum suff, but it's very low adhesive rating and curling rules it out for anything semi permanent.

Now I though about muffler tape even header tape found in the auto zone stores, but that stuff is real expensive for the amount I'd need.

So I guess the pertinent question here is has anyone got any suggestions or done this? Or, should I just leave it alone and forget about it until the zombies start leaving the cemeteries. <_<

I'm looking for suggestions on what type of material could be used as heat shielding on the standard Saiga handguard.

It's a nice handguard overall, ergonomic, sturdy and at the same time flexible. However, the bottom portion sits very close to the barrel, and my thinking is that extended fire would warp and or dis configure it if used in a heated exchange with the zombies after only a couple mags.

I've tried some HVAC stove pipe aluminum suff, but it's very low adhesive rating and curling rules it out for anything semi permanent.

Now I though about muffler tape even header tape found in the auto zone stores, but that stuff is real expensive for the amount I'd need.

So I guess the pertinent question here is has anyone got any suggestions or done this? Or, should I just leave it alone and forget about it until the zombies start leaving the cemeteries. <_<

uh....

I've been thinking about splitting some light steel pipe and bending the walls to make a heat shield, I just lack the time lately.

let's put it this way. when i added my side rail to my standard hand guard, i literally had to cut away the inner material so that the nuts would fit. adding a heat shield is almost un-doable. there isn't enough room

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions. Jailbait is right. There is little room for any shielding since the bottom portion touches the barrel. So I think I'll just leave it alone for now. Eventually I'll invest in a DPH aluminum handguard and problem solved, albeit some expense.

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions. Jailbait is right. There is little room for any shielding since the bottom portion touches the barrel. So I think I'll just leave it alone for now. Eventually I'll invest in a DPH aluminum handguard and problem solved, albeit some expense.

A few years ago a member recommended using metal roof flashing. Cutting it with metal shears it came came out perfect and did the job.

• 4 weeks later...