I was thinking of getting into reloading ammo. I know it's kind of an investment to start off but I was wondering, is it worth it? Is reloading a lot cheaper, or is it around the same price per round? Also is it something you can pick up, or is it more complicated than it looks? Reason i ask is because I hear theres a class you can take. Either way I wouldn't mind. I'm just trying to save money on rounds.

I haven't started reloading shotgun ammo yet, so I don't know the actual savings but it has to be substantial. I reload my .45s, and I am getting some dies for 9mm and .223. I save over half the cost of shelf ammo when I reload the .45 ACP, and I really enjoy doing it. Although on Saturday morning, I had my first primer explosion... I use a Lee Loadmaster and the primer had gotten tipped somehow in the primer feeder, and when it was trying to be pressed into the shell, it wouldn't work and got stuck in the primer feeder. I tried to use a small screwdriver to pry it loose when BANG!!! Scared the hell out of me and my one dog ran upstairs! We have a guest at the house right now, and she came downstairs right after it happened and said, "I thought you shot yourself". :lolol:

I haven't started reloading shotgun ammo yet, so I don't know the actual savings but it has to be substantial. I reload my .45s, and I am getting some dies for 9mm and .223. I save over half the cost of shelf ammo when I reload the .45 ACP, and I really enjoy doing it. Although on Saturday morning, I had my first primer explosion... I use a Lee Loadmaster and the primer had gotten tipped somehow in the primer feeder, and when it was trying to be pressed into the shell, it wouldn't work and got stuck in the primer feeder. I tried to use a small screwdriver to pry it loose when BANG!!! Scared the hell out of me and my one dog ran upstairs! We have a guest at the house right now, and she came downstairs right after it happened and said, "I thought you shot yourself". :lolol:

OMG :lolol::lolol::lolol: OK if I do start reloading, I want to be able to reload .45 and 7.62x39. Where do you buy everything to reload? Do you go to a cabela's or other sporting goods store, or do you buy online? Also I don't have any of the equipment, so about how much do you think it would cost me to start reloading .45?

I get ALL my brass from the range... the .45 is a low pressure load and you can get quite a few reloads out of 1 shell. I just scoop a bunch of brass out of the hoppers when I am done shooting, take it home, and pop it into my tumbler for a couple hours. Comes out nice and shiny. I get my powder (Bullseye for pistol, haven't done rifle calibers yet) and primers (Winchester) at a local sporting goods store because you have to pay for hazardous shipping if you order powder and primers from online. As far as bullets go, I like Midway, and Cabela's, although the next time I order .45 bullets, I am going to Carolina Shooters Supply because they have a real good deal on .45 bullets.

I have a Lee Loadmaster and I really like it, but there is a bit of a learning curve at first with it. Check out their website; they have instructional videos that will teach you everything you need to know. Also, the Loadmaster has an auto powder measure that makes reloading a LOT quicker and easier. I use a Dillon Eliminator scale that I purchased from Cabela's because I prefer a beam scale over electronic scales. I got a fantastic deal on my tumbler at Cabela's; it comes with the tumbler, media sifter, media, and shell polish for about $55. I think Midway has something like that, too, for around the same price.

I swear by Lee's carbide dies. If you purchase carbide dies, you won't have to lube your cases, and the dies are only a couple dollars more than steel dies, so it's a no-brainer to me.

You should pick up Hornady's reloading manual, too. It has a lot of great info and you can't get too much info!

Your initial outlay for a press, a scale, a bullet puller (because you will make mistakes), a box of primers, a pound of powder, Hornady reloading manual, and .45 dies should run you somewhere in the $400 range. Do some pricing at a few different places and you will do well.

Edit:

Midway has a Loadmaster set up for .45 ACP for $215.99. On back order right now, but they won't be for long. That's a pretty good price!

Another Midway deal here: a tumbler with a media separator for $54.99

Dillon Eliminator scale at Cabela's for $52.99

Also, if you're interested, check out this thread that I started. It shows my reloading bench design and finished product that I came up with, and I'll give you the plans that I created if you want.

Edited by TR Young

Fuckin nice. I guess I have a lot of reading to do. I like being well informed and when it benefits me, it's that much funner. Thanks for all the info you've been very helpfull. Since I was almost clueless about reloading when I posted, it's gonna take me a while to get to the point where I'm confident enough to start dishing out cash for equipment, but you've made it a lot easier lol. Here's one question tho, Lee has an auto powder measure, so why the need for a scale? Is it to load the Lee Loadmaster? Nice bench by the way.

I use a scale just to be safe. Nothing would ruin your day (or life) like accidentally double charging a shell which could most likely cause an explosion or under charging a shell which could cause a squib round and then when you try to fire the next round your gun barrel would rupture and you wouldn't be a happy camper. What I do is check every 20 or so rounds just to be sure that everything is running smooth. Also, I use the scale to make sure that I have my powder disks set correctly. THe way that the Loadmaster's auto powder measure works is it uses a disk with graduated holes in it that meter out the correct powder charge. I always set my disk, then run a couple rounds through and measure the powder just to be safe. Safety is tantamount to all things guns, and it can never be overdone!

I've reloaded shotgun ammo for years but it seems latley the price of shot is high enough to make it break about even for trap and skeet shooting when you can buy the cheapie bulk packs.Back when shot was selling at around $10 a bag it was definitely worth it but the lead has gone up too much now.

I'm looking to start reloading rifle and pistol loads now.I have an RCBS Rock Chucker with a few different die sets for calibers I now shoot and lots of casings waiting to be reloaded.Now all I need is some spare time....

I've reloaded shotgun ammo for years but it seems latley the price of shot is high enough to make it break about even for trap and skeet shooting when you can buy the cheapie bulk packs.Back when shot was selling at around $10 a bag it was definitely worth it but the lead has gone up too much now.

I'm looking to start reloading rifle and pistol loads now.I have an RCBS Rock Chucker with a few different die sets for calibers I now shoot and lots of casings waiting to be reloaded.Now all I need is some spare time....

Yea see that was probably the main thing holding me back from reloading. I've always wondered if it was really worth it. Last thing I would want to do is invest in a bunch of equipment and end up paying about the same on reload ammo as I would shelf ammo.

You're not going to save over bulk pack if you try to reload bulk pack. It's not worth trying.

Reloading buckshot and slugs though, you get to make whatever you want for cheap. Reloading rifle and pistol saves a ton as well. Reloading pistol saves a lot and is really really easy to do.

I'd be sure and get the electronic scales, after you calibrate them it's a breeze. I reload sub sonic rounds in 9mm, .223, & 5.7, and 1/10th of a grain can make or break a sub round. But when loading the standard loads, I'll run 4-5 dumps of powder in the first few cases, pour into the scale and adjust until I have the charge within 1/10th grain, and then check a shell every 40-50 rounds. Military brass is a PITA, but can be done, just make sure you have a good supply of pins. RCBS makes a swager and also reamer to remove the crimps, at times I have had to use both on the same shell to get it out, and the resize the primer pocket, gotta make sure the primer is deep enough in the pocket, I think that I read somewhere that it's supposed to be .003 to .005 low on the .223. For some fun on .223 sub loads, try out the Trail Boss powder, they won't cycle an AR, so I use them in my bolt action CZ. Also, be aware of the difference in pistol and rifle powders. A full charge of pistol powder in a rifle shell will blow your gun and YOU up, and don't cut down a standard charge to go sub sonic, in most cases (rifle) you'll get a squib.

• 2 weeks later...

Louie thanks very much for the info, just started reloading again after a 10 year break, i just use a little Lee hand loader for .357's and 223 the brass on the .223's is Federal 200 bulk from wally world. I got a scale that goes down to grams and notice a 1 gram diff in weight on some just got it yesterday so still testing, dont know if it will make much diff but will start seperating the diff weights and see. Do the hand type reloaders seem to be better on accuracy? Thank You much again !!,..JT.,..OH i also bought a Lee powder measure so can way to the grain with it,..thanks again,..Jon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jon,

I apologize,that i just got around to reading this over again and getting back to you.

I think if you are loading "blasting ammo" (like most of us) then full speed ahead with the progressive press. If you are shooting dead serious 250-500 yards then do what the military does and handload every round.

Every firearm shoots differently, and will do so every time you shoot it. There are many variables you have little or no control over when it comes to long range accuracy.

- wind can come up, even a breeze can change a dead center hit into a inside the rings

-temperature of the air and the temperature of rifle make a difference

- some shooters clean the bore after every round by passing one patch through

- some reloaders load their ammo the night before or just before firing

Like I said, "blasting ammo is great on progressive presses" but serious snipers use single stage presses, and weigh and re-weigh every bullet, powder charge and loaded round.

louielouie

p.s. For what it's worth, I watched a Brian Enos video (he shoots 9mm/ and 45 cal. for a living) and he uses a Dillon Progressive press, but he may use 500- 1000 rounds in a weekend.

Edited by louielouie
  • 2 months later...