AK screw build?

just wondering if it is "that" bad to do an AK screw build. i don't have access to a press to do rivets. want to build an ak pistol, what all is needed to shorten the gas system down a good bit?

i am pretty good with a dremil/drill and BFH and other hand tools. just no access to press/drill press or anything of the like.

Yes, the sight of an AK built with screws it is an abomination before the eyes of all righteous men! The shame of it will haunt the builder and even his children and children's children, if he can find a women that will stoop to bear the humiliation of his company, for all the days of his life.

His fellows will make great jest at his expense, all because he was afraid to learn to properly hammer a damn rivet!

My advice, for the love of all that is noble about the idea of a man crafting his own rifle, don't do it!

If that's all you have right now, go for it. I started off welding, then I did a screw build and went to rivets after that. Jump in and get your feet wet. You can rivet it down the road if you decide to keep building and get the proper tooling or know someone with said tooling. DO IT!! :devil:

I just did 2 screw builds to get started. Do what you can but read as much as you can and be safe. I just got the rivet thing down yesterday so I am going to try it on a real gun now. My two shoot great. They will never win any contest but figure out what you want and take your time.

Screw builds for yourself are just peachy.

After all, if you've not done it right, it's only gonna be you paying the price.

Don't ever buy a screw build unless you plan on completely disassembling it and inspecting it and rebuilding it (best done with rivets, imho).

The worst thing about a screw build...?

Telling your parents you are gay.

Just kidding. I'm contemplating a screw build myself. As for the pistol trunion, contact AZEX in Mesa, AZ. (www.azexarms.com) They make a rockin' pistol trunion. It has a cool sling swivel. Hope this helps!

anyone know a place to get a rear trunnion for a pistol build that will work with a yugo M70 kit?

also looking for the skrew kit, and the drill bits and taps i need. need to order online, home depot/lowes are an hour away

Is this what you want ??? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119149693

anyone know a place to get a rear trunnion for a pistol build that will work with a yugo M70 kit?

also looking for the skrew kit, and the drill bits and taps i need. need to order online, home depot/lowes are an hour away

Is this what you want ??? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119149693

yes, but i found another source already. thanks anyway though. what i really need is someone to do the barrel work(turn it down).

Edited by flclisgreat

Pistol trunnions, screw kits etc. are available from Curtis Sebring at www.ak-builder.com

AK-Builder sells only highest quality AK parts.

I've built or helped build dozens of screw builds. If done properly they are just fine for semi-auto use. If in future you want to go to rivets it's quite easy.

Pistol trunnions, screw kits etc. are available from Curtis Sebring at www.ak-builder.com

AK-Builder sells only highest quality AK parts.

I've built or helped build dozens of screw builds. If done properly they are just fine for semi-auto use. If in future you want to go to rivets it's quite easy.

+1 on AK-Builder offering the fine products.

The trick to buying screw builds is knowing if it was done properly, or if they Bubba'd it and then made it look pretty. Hence my previous warning.

If the screws don't work out then you can use U drive screws. I built a Yugo with it and it's holding together and the U drive screws look like rivets. The guy in the AR-15.com forum who posted the build it yourself instructions states that he fired more than 2,000 rounds thru his without any problems.

If the screws don't work out then you can use U drive screws. I built a Yugo with it and it's holding together and the U drive screws look like rivets. The guy in the AR-15.com forum who posted the build it yourself instructions states that he fired more than 2,000 rounds thru his without any problems.

If you are considering U-drives, please do your research.

They are meant for fastening sheet metal in a no-load situation, not building guns.

Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's the best choice.

what i really need is someone to do the barrel work(turn it down).

I can do that...send me a PM. :devil:

pm sent...

and as far as u-drives go, i have done my research(did it before/during/after posting this thread) and from what i can tell there are 4 methods

u-drives-plenty of documented catastrophic failures

weld-if properly done, its "OK"

screws-from what i have read/seen there has NEVER been a report of catastrophic failure, once in a while someone notices a loose screw or something, but no "aaaahhhh my eye!!!"

rivets-the "proper" way, and all the die hards would rather you eat a pile of glass than build an ak with screws

also, i ran across 2 very interesting things used in place of rivets/screws

1: toothpicks! yeah you read that right, guy put an AK together with toothpicks. 2 picks per hole, it fired 3 rounds, then the toothpick in the front trunnion broke forward, from the force of the bolt carrier.

2: wooden dowel rods. wasn't any extensive testing done on it, but if i remember correctly it last more than he cared to test before it broke(he took it apart before it ever broke).