My.... Brain.... oh GOD!

So I have this problem, I cannot, for the life of me, hold on to a sidearm. I started with a Glock 22 in high school. Had it, shot it, liked it, customized it. It wound up having Truglos on it, and a hogue grip sleeve. I thought it was quite pretty. Then, the yammering about steel framed pistols being more durable... and the how that should be the go to gun. So I sold the G22, bought a M96. Figured I'd take a hit in mag cap, but I'd have a five incher with a steel frame. No night sights, bought hogue grips for it.

Then a Kimber Custom II came one the scene. It had a prettiness to it. So I sold my 96 and got the Kimber.... what I have now. Tritium night sights.... I haven't done anything to it... honestly cant really think of what I would.

I'm not a man of means, I really do need to sell my old gun to get a new one. Sometimes I can pony up money in between but never that much, so unless its a lateral price issue... I need to do some hustling to get something better.

So here's the thing: I've been reading much about how Kimbers are... not so good. And its bugging me.... I like 45 ACP, shooting tunnels of freedom is a nice thing. I like 40 cal as well. I have never used 9mm. I figure however, that while 45 ball is the authority, 9mm is cheap to shoot, and if I wanted to get serious I could buy fancy hollows to make up the price gap to 45 ball... and have marginally the same terminal effect. But I can stack 9mm to the ceiling in almost any model, Glock, Sig, whatever. but .45... outside of an XD... not gettin Hi cap... not really.

I want a shooter. Something unquestionably reliable and cheaper to shoot than my 45. I'm thinking Sig 226.

Somebody help me, avert my fears or guide me towards safety.

I am so done switching sidearms.

I like 45 ACP, shooting tunnels of freedom

I LOVE THIS COMMENT!!!!!!LOL!!

You said it man, Springfield XD .45, 13 rounds very accurate, not very expensive.

You can bump up 16 rounds with a product from our friends at Mississippi Auto arms.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...ex&cPath=86

It may look a lil funny BUT it is 16 rounds of .45 in one pistol...

I've been carrying the same Sig P229 since it was issued to me in 1996.

I figure I've put a little over 6000 rounds through it in that time.

The only problem I've had with it was a grip screw falling out.

So a P226 will probably serve you well.

I'm kind of in the same boat because my .45 is getting pricey even for fam-fire shooting. I have a 9mm but even that is starting to get expensive also.

If you already have the Kimber and want to stay in the .45 category for defense purposes why don't you shop around for a used Ruger 22/45?

Ergos and fit of a 1911 .45 but shoots 22lr, cheaper than the .22lr Kimber conversion kit, especially if you buy a no frills used one.

Best of luck in your search.

The OP said:

"I want a shooter. Something unquestionably reliable and cheaper to shoot than my 45. I'm thinking Sig 226."

So, let's not turn this into another .45 orgasm thread.

If he wants reliable and cheap to shoot, I got two words. Single Six. ;)

He can get like 3 of em if he trades in his Kimber.

Seriously though, I've been looking around at the Makarovs a while in search of a cheap shooter. I haven't read anything devastating about them, but I have not shot one yet, or even seen one. You might ask around about those. 9X18 ammo doesn't seem too expensive.

Get rid of that obsolete hogleg and get a CZ-75-SP01. 18+1 rounds of 9mm goodness beats 8+1 in a 1911 anytime. Especially if you can put four of them down range accurately in the time it takes most 1911s to shoot one. 36mm of JHP (4x9mm) beats 11.4mm (.45 ACP) anytime. As someone else said already, bullet placement is the key. All guns are equally ineffective if you are a crappy shot. There is not such any animal as a one shot sure stop, not even with a 12 gauge. The 9mm will let you train more so you become an excellent shot too. BTW, stay away from any gun with a decocker, and a DA trigger, all they do is make you miss the first shot and make bean counters happy, stick to locked and cocked condition one carry guns. So no to the SIG platform, it is overhyped and overpriced for what you get.

First, thank you guys for you're input. Valuable, as always.

Second, No go on a Sig? Well, I know Czech is a controversial poster, but can anyone back this up?

And what would be said about a Glock 17? Those are pretty cheap and common. I always viewed Glocks as a good Armageddon pistol, just switch out the guide rod for a metal one and pretty much do everything I did to the first one... again.

I don't like the slide on the CZs... I mean, I know they are good stuff, my dad has one.... er I should say he has an EAA Tangfolio. I just don't like how thin the slide is.... up and down like, not the metal thickness.

So yeah, any thoughts on the Jericho?

First, thank you guys for you're input. Valuable, as always.

Second, No go on a Sig? Well, I know Czech is a controversial poster, but can anyone back this up?

And what would be said about a Glock 17? Those are pretty cheap and common. I always viewed Glocks as a good Armageddon pistol, just switch out the guide rod for a metal one and pretty much do everything I did to the first one... again.

I don't like the slide on the CZs... I mean, I know they are good stuff, my dad has one.... er I should say he has an EAA Tangfolio. I just don't like how thin the slide is.... up and down like, not the metal thickness.

So yeah, any thoughts on the Jericho?

Well, I can understand your preference for a larger slide then the one on a CZ, but I am used to it and it works fine for me. Your choice, at least you tried it. Many haven't and they are missing out. I will not buy any knock offs though, Has to be made by CZ not by Italians, Israelis or Turks. Why own a knock of if you can get the original. Most copied gun in the world.

I had a Sig 226 for a few months and I have shot others in .40, .357 and .45. My main problem is with the horribly long trigger pull, even if you swap in the short trigger. Just too long and stiff for my tastes. Expect more from such a pricey gun. The position of the controls is a bit of a learning curve if you are used to standard controls. I feel the slide stop is in the wrong place on the Sig, prefer it further forward. Also it has a very high bore axis, generates more muzzle flip then other designs. Otherwise they are quite functional and easy to maintain and repair.

Glocks are OK. I Prefer XD-9 myself, better ergonomics and just as tough in my experience. The Glock slide cycles too low and always gives me slide bite. I have big hands and this is a common problems for large handed shooters. So much so that there are now aftermarket parts and modification (like Robar beavertail) to correct this deficiency in the design. The Glock Teniffer finish is also very slick if you hands are wet or slightly greasy (like from blood), can cause problems manipulating the slide. The GLock trigger can be improved with the 3.5 Lb disconnector. Stay away from the POS NY triggers, way to heavy a trigger pull, they are there only to make NYPD bean counters happy and kill cops by making them miss a lot. I do not like Glocks but am very good with them if need be. If you like it, go for it, easy to use and care for.

The 1911 has two things going for it. Easy to work on and good parts availability. I own four myself, just for playing with mind you. I almost never carry a 1911. I tried the 9mm Springfield 1911 platform but it was not to my liking. Might try an STI next time in a 9mm 1911. The 9mm 1911s tend to cost $$$ too, as do decent mags for them. If you decide to go this route, make sure you get a steel frame, not alloy. The alloy frames wear quicker and unlike steel frames can not be repaired when the rails start to wear. Steel rails can be fixed/tightened by a good gunsmith in several ways, not so with the alloys.

Yes, I am controversial. I had a controversial life so far, seem more then many on this board ever will, some of it good some of it bad. Most of what I say is based on my experiences or those of people I know and whose opinions I have learned to rely on. Take it or leave it. Your mileage may vary.

Alright, gents.

It appears that I'm now in the market for an XD 9. However I think I'm gonna keep the .45 for a home defense pistol... seeing as how its good at that.

I'd really, really like to get a Sig, but the price tag is just a tad to big for me.... by tad I mean colossal.... and by colossal I mean I'm broke... :(

Thanks to all you guys who pitched in, my God am I glad I didn't try and ask this question at LF... that could have been ugly.

Thanks to you too 1911, for getting at me via PM.

It is looking like I am the only one on here that actually has any real experience with Sigs...................

Actually, I have plenty experience with one (actually more then one), that is why I do not recommend them. I don't care what government agencies say, the gun is not the best choice out there. I can use them, just prefer not to.

Actually, I have plenty experience with one (actually more then one), that is why I do not recommend them. I don't care what government agencies say, the gun is not the best choice out there. I can use them, just prefer not to.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

It is one of the few handguns I have never had a malfunction with.

I went out looking for a 9mm that didn't suck donkey balls. That was like uhh.. 7 years ago I guess. I finally found one that doesn't suck massive farm animal testicals, a 9mm 1911. Now wait, calm down. What I meant was a Browning Hi Power. It's the 1911 remade for 9mm, yaaaay! I picked one up, and for the first time, I didn't want to hammer nails through my dick after picking up a 9mm handgun. It doesn't have a handle that is perfectly round and made to be held by... an octopus or something. It has a handle and grip angle that are clearly designed for a human hand, which is amazing for a 9mm handgun.

Other guns that I have found to not be horrible:

~Single stack 9mms

~CZ-75's and the clones

~The new EAA Witnesses are all built on the same frame, 10mm, .45, etc, so I assume the frame isn't a dowel

Also, if you shoot at a person 17 times, you are going to jail in any of our 50 states.

Never said it malfunctioned. I just do not like the way they feel and handle. Guns are very personal, your hotness may be the worst thing ever to others.

Never said it malfunctioned. I just do not like the way they feel and handle. Guns are very personal, your hotness may be the worst thing ever to others.

Do Sigs still have sheetmetal slides and aluminum frames? :ded:

The older ones have stamped sheet metal slides. They are available as certified pre-owned from the SIG factory shop. They are refurbished (new parts and springs and refinished) service pistols turned in for newer models. When I bought one a couple of years ago it was just this side of $600 or so for one. The new one have solid steel slides. All of the frames are either alloy or polymer except for a few completely stainless models which cost $$$$ and are very heavy.