What kind of foregrip will allow me to have a "hammer-drill"

Can you mod the sides handguards of the S-17 or the S-02 to accept a horizontal VFG to have a "hammer-drill" type setup?

Or will I have to get an entirely different foregrip, one with 1913 already installed on the side?

if so, does anyone know of any options?

I would also get a collapsable VFG to help with storage.

What do you guys think of this "hammer-drill" style?

My VG is rolled around to about 20 degrees to the left. It does cause a little more effort for long-term aiming. However being a folding grip its ok because I just fold it and pretty much its then just a regular fore grip with more of a vertical load on my arm.

All a matter of personal preference.

When my drum arrives it might be good for my (yet to be) SBS second S-12.

I have seen guys do that overseas, but only to hold pieces of their rifle kit that they did not want to lose and did not want in the correct position at the moment. I see no reason to do it, but it is your firearm. Any of the 3 rail-handguards will do this for you, as will a bolt on piece of Picitinny to the side of your OEM handguards.

HTH

Ahhh yes, Ive been thinking of doing this FOREVER. This is exactly why I feel that its necessary to have a laser on my Saiga. When I fold my stock and am firing from the hip (with a drum of course) I always thought that it would be much easier with a folding horizontal grip like the TDI or CAA folders. I can imagine needing to do this with stick mags because...well every 10 rounds you'll be in the middle of a reloading action which is much slower from the hip than on the shoulder. The laser on my TLR-2 would make hip shooting accurate, until I actually got a feel for where my effective shot patterns were physically, and the horizontal grip would make aiming from the hip faster.

BTW I want to stress that I feel this set up is advantageous with "dead arm shooting." Meaning its not very practical to shoulder the weapon in this configuration. While having your firing finger on the trigger (imo a folding stock becomes advantageous in this position) and aiming hand on the horizontal grip crossing your waist from one side to the other.

Edited by Azkamidaka

It seems to me that if the horizontal foregrip were that good of an idea, more of us would be doing it by now. I'm sure that someone would already have experimented this to death. I think the difference in wrist position (although seemingly subtle) would stress and prematurely fatigue the rotator cuff. The ONLY possible advantage MIGHT be to facilitate easier rock and lock magazine changes. I think... surprise, surprise... that the French have tested the horizontally mounted foregrip. If that tells you anything...

It seems to me that if the horizontal foregrip were that good of an idea, more of us would be doing it by now. I'm sure that someone would already have experimented this to death...

Sounds Gangster as Hell!

I'll pass! :lolol:

You guys are right, after more thought This really would only be comfortable when shooting from the hip... And I don't know how often one would want to do that.

So going at it from the weapon being shouldered... How comfortable would the 45* grip really be?

After reconsidering this, I just think a regular VFG might be the most versitile and comfortable?

I was talking to a friend about this idea and told him I decided against it... And he told me it was a good idea and here's why:

Do you really want to rip your shoulder off by using a 20 round drum?

Wouldn't you want to learn to shoot shoot from the hip with a shoulder strap? And perhaps this is when a laser would be a little more effective?

I also think shooting from the shoulder is a valuable position to learn and train with also...

But you have to re-design everything when it comes to using a 20 fond drum. ;)

Edited by TronJohn

I thought about a horizontally mounted foregrip also. For firing from the hip. I don't think its a ridiculous idea although I haven't tried it yet.

Just because it hasn't been done yet don't mean it won't be a good idea.

20 years ago would anyone think that bottled water would sell?

Or paying for watching TV in your own house?

I think they call it thinking outside the box today.

Just my 2 cents and not trying to incite a riot or argue with anyone :smoke:

I put a forward vertical grip, picatiney mount, on my S12, it made it easier to hold while shooting with the drum. The drum was in the way of getting a good grip on the front end. and YES, from the shoulder, with the drum, full dump, is a beating from hell, but FUN. Just don't point almost straight up as I did while blasting crows. on the 15th round, I was on my ass on the deck, but still shooting. Got 1 crow, missed the other 6, but they came back to look for their dead bro the next morning at sun up, he was staked out in the back yard, and 3 more bought the farm. :)