i use craigslist as much as possible and just wanted to fill you guys in on a allitle story ............ few months ago i hit up a garage sale i found on CR and i picked up this old axe head and equally as old Dagger , now i had no idea what they were other then they looked COOL and i only paind $5 for the both of them. well that dagger turnded out to be more then just a dagger !! so give caigslist a chance and you never know what you might find

the gerber was marked 003062 but the cats tounge had been ground off

sn.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Edited by bravo30

That's a Gerber Mk2.

Arguably the best combat knife since the Fairbairn & Sykes dagger. If you can get that baby back into good shape she should serve you quite well.

That dagger is a very sought after blade, you're lucky to find it.... hopefully its still salvageable.

As bent up/rusty as those are... I think you got hosed for 5 bucks!

I wouldnt give ya two bits for that blade Gerber or not... :unsure: I would be embarrassed to pull it out of a sheath... :bag:

:smoke:

bent blade? dont worry i though the same thing but its actually a canted blade and desighned that way but only on the first or so series knives the rest were str8 blade ..........they canted the blade so it would fit tight up against the body when in the sheath........

I know what the dagger IS... but my concern is how were the side ridges removed? Did the previous owner take it to a grinder and grind them away?? If so, he probably heated the metal and it lost its temper... If so, the metal wont retain an edge as its supposed to... and will not stand up to the usage it should.

Here is a place you can date it via the serial... should be in the '68 range...

http://www.simplysarasota.com/KnifeCollect...KnifeDates.html

Enjoy!

I know what the dagger IS... but my concern is how were the side ridges removed? Did the previous owner take it to a grinder and grind them away?? If so, he probably heated the metal and it lost its temper... If so, the metal wont retain an edge as its supposed to... and will not stand up to the usage it should.

Here is a place you can date it via the serial... should be in the '68 range...

http://www.simplysarasota.com/KnifeCollect...KnifeDates.html

Enjoy!

side ridges??? you mean serrated edge? in 67 ( the first year) there were no serrated edges ..other then that the blade is as was in 67

I must respectfully disagree with Bean...

I would have to admit the dagger looks "functional" but I almost want to cry knowing what it SHOULD look like...

I used to collect knives years ago... some I paid well over $700.00 for... I used to have a nice collection of auto microtech OTF's... the Nemesis was my pride and joy :wub: ... and had to sell them off as I got sick of having "safe queens" that I couldnt touch for fear of marring a pristine blade surface.... or would have to handle with gloves on to keep the oils from my skin off the metal...So I sold my knives to buy guns... things I can handle and USE... needless to say... I still have a passion for fine steel... and to see what could be, as it is now... makes a tear come to my eye...

I am not knocking the mark II... dont get me wrong... just pains me to see how blasphemously it was treated before you got it!!

NOW... That axe head cleaned up REMARKABLY well!!! :up: I am totally amazed at how nice that looks now!!! SWEET!!!

I DO retract my hosed comment earlier! LOL

I must respectfully disagree with Bean...

I would have to admit the dagger looks "functional" but I almost want to cry knowing what it SHOULD look like...

I used to collect knives years ago... some I paid well over $700.00 for... I used to have a nice collection of auto microtech OTF's... the Nemesis was my pride and joy :wub: ... and had to sell them off as I got sick of having "safe queens" that I couldnt touch for fear of marring a pristine blade surface.... or would have to handle with gloves on to keep the oils from my skin off the metal...So I sold my knives to buy guns... things I can handle and USE... needless to say... I still have a passion for fine steel... and to see what could be, as it is now... makes a tear come to my eye...

I am not knocking the mark II... dont get me wrong... just pains me to see how blasphemously it was treated before you got it!!

NOW... That axe head cleaned up REMARKABLY well!!! :up: I am totally amazed at how nice that looks now!!! SWEET!!!

I DO retract my hosed comment earlier! LOL

hey indy i see what your saying and after i got it and researched it i almost fell off my chair ........ i found the dagger laying under a workbench in a bad part of philly with other rusty old tools, the guy who owned the garage just wanted the ''crap'' out of there so he could rent the place ...... WHO WOULD LEAVE A MK2 IN A GARAGE ? i have no idea but i am glad that i found her and learned a bit about history in the process ..sometimes i just sit here with it in my hands wondering wheres shes been over the last 40+ yrs .... man the road trip that knife has been on must have been 1 hell of a ride for sure

Exactly...

Kinda like finding an old WWII Harley Davidson in an old barn, all rusted away and corroded and full of gunk... A shame to let something so nice go to hell like that... or to think so little of it that its just tossed away like a piece of crap...

a Shame...

But... enjoy!

And I am curious to see what the Axe transforms into when you get it reshafted... :up:

So far i have picked up a 870 wingmaster 12 ga and saiga .223 with side scope mount both in very good conditions, for a grand total of $350.

Their gun policy sucks but you can still work the system....

sold lots of stuff on there as well

craigs list is great overall.

I have NEVER used it.... whats their gun policy???

how do we go about "Working their system"???

Any firearm related ad gets deleted <_< .

But it's funny to see how people will word things, to fly under the radar.

You have go PayPal-style on it, and be careful with how you word your ad, to make sure it's not deleted.

I saw someone copy/paste and ad for a Bushmaster lower from Craigslist, on another forum. It was advertised as a "Bushwacker bottom half, with a sliding end" :lol: .

hey indy i see what your saying and after i got it and researched it i almost fell off my chair ........ i found the dagger laying under a workbench in a bad part of philly with other rusty old tools, the guy who owned the garage just wanted the ''crap'' out of there so he could rent the place ...... WHO WOULD LEAVE A MK2 IN A GARAGE ? i have no idea but i am glad that i found her and learned a bit about history in the process ..sometimes i just sit here with it in my hands wondering wheres shes been over the last 40+ yrs .... man the road trip that knife has been on must have been 1 hell of a ride for sure

Years ago I found a K Bar knife marked USN and I think it had a date on it of 42. Found it in the trunk of a car at a salvage yard, was there looking for parts. The blade was pitted, as it was sitting in a pool of water in the trunk, and the leather rope (?) wrapping the handle had suffered a little damage.

But it cleaned up nicely, and I ended up giving it to a old Marine from WWII that went gaga over it when I posted it on the internet looking for info about it.

How and why that knife ended up in that trunk is a mystery to me, as that was the only thing in the trunk, its not like it was hidden under the spare or something.

I have NEVER used it.... whats their gun policy???

how do we go about "Working their system"???

Any firearm related ad gets deleted <_< .

But it's funny to see how people will word things, to fly under the radar.

You have go PayPal-style on it, and be careful with how you word your ad, to make sure it's not deleted.

I saw someone copy/paste and ad for a Bushmaster lower from Craigslist, on another forum. It was advertised as a "Bushwacker bottom half, with a sliding end" :lol: .

Bingo

got a local guy who keeps listing MUSHBASTERs for sale.

lots of "hunting tools, implements, sporting items, Retiring hunter's goods....etc.

the Saiga i got was simply "saiga .223" i check the site frequently, and most gun items are pulled fast....i caught that one fast enough.

I've got a line on a Rem 7400 30.06 and Mosberg 500 right now. But the prices are not right.....given the economy.

probably daily i find gun stuff on there.