Anyone here live within a state or 2 of YellowStone? I always wanted to go there as a kid, then a few years back i learned it was a VERY large volcano sitting under there.....so i got to thinking....about 70,000 years has passed since the last eruption, and the site is still active....scientists claim there will be another eruption and its "overdue" (pshhh, everything is overdue for us) But recently there has been a lot of "tremors" reported...about 250+.....anyone else hear of this? is it panic button time or should i adjust my tin foil hat and pace around the padded room?

edit: here's a story on it..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/ap_on_...2D2AEDH8ggPLBIF

Edited by Vultite

Yeah there was a big talk about that a couple 2 or 3 years ago supposedly the navy sent all the ships out to see to save them form a chain reaction of yellowstone going and the destabilizing and the whole west coast blowing up, basicly the end of 3/4 of the US as we know it.

Who knows, could be a load of crap, might be some sense in it.

Speaking of things we are over due for, polar shift where the north pole shifts to the south is overdue by around 50,000 years or so, that could make a mess of things.

Anymore I think it is just sensationalism trying to get people riled up,..

I live nearby, but if the next one is anything like the first one, being a few states over probably isn't going to matter much. Don't put off a trip to see the place just because of the hype.

I remember having trouble with a research paper on Yellowstone while studying geology: trying to graph the relative amounts of material ejected from the Yellowstone eruption compared to historic biggies like Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens was just about impossible. If you adjust the sizes of the bars for the other eruptions to make them big enough to see, the bar for Yellowstone won't fit on the page anymore.

I've been inside craters of the traditional upside-down-ice-cream-cone volcanos where you have the rim of the cauldera surrounding you on all sides: to see the rim of the Yellowstone cauldera you get up on a little hill and look toward the horizon in all directions. The first time someone tried to point it out to me when I was younger, I didn't get it, because it's hard to conceptualize a crater that big. I remember just assuming I was misunderstanding something when they told me those far-off ridges were the rim of one big crater, and that we were inside it.

I live nearby, but if the next one is anything like the first one, being a few states over probably isn't going to matter much. Don't put off a trip to see the place just because of the hype.

I remember having trouble with a research paper on Yellowstone while studying geology: trying to graph the relative amounts of material ejected from the Yellowstone eruption compared to historic biggies like Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens was just about impossible. If you adjust the sizes of the bars for the other eruptions to make them big enough to see, the bar for Yellowstone won't fit on the page anymore.

I've been inside craters of the traditional upside-down-ice-cream-cone volcanos where you have the rim of the cauldera surrounding you on all sides: to see the rim of the Yellowstone cauldera you get up on a little hill and look toward the horizon in all directions. The first time someone tried to point it out to me when I was younger, I didn't get it, because it's hard to conceptualize a crater that big. I remember just assuming I was misunderstanding something when they told me those far-off ridges were the rim of one big crater, and that we were inside it.

Fascinating stuff. I've never been there, but I love watching that stuff on History & Discovery. I had no idea the crater was that big.