What constitutes a US made part?

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes a US made part? Can it start with something of foreign origin? Are the US made parts, for example, a hi cap mag, required to be made from US sourced plastic? If the base plastic was imported and then molded in the US into a mag body and parts, would it then be considered a US part or would the fact that the raw materials were of foreign origin prevent it from being considered a US part? If indeed this example resulted in the mags being considered US Parts, then can this philosophy be applied to imported gun parts that are worked on here in the US to "turn" them into US Parts? Just wondering what I can get away with and still be legal.

I'm pretty sure the line is the functionality of the part when imported. The way I see it, you could take a foreign magazine and turn it into a dust cover and it would be counted as US made (if that was a compliance part). Or you could take a foreign FCG and chop them up and make the trigger into a disconnector and it could be called a US disconnector. Basically, it's just easier to buy the compliance parts.

Hope that made sense,

Acer

I thought I remember reading this hypothetical situation: If you made a mold of the factory Saiga buttstock, melted said buttstock down, and poured it into said mold, you would now have a US made buttstock, assuming you did this in the US.

Now how efficient or time/money-worthy is that? That's up to you. Again, this is just something I read on here awhile ago, not legal fact.

jeffmccracken? Any relation to Phil?

Origin of materials doesn't matter. Ironwood uses some absolutely beautiful wood from aorund the world for their AK furniture. They make it in the USA.

You can take a foreign wood buttstock and cut pistol grips out of it, and you'll have US made pistol grips.

Taking the same foreign buttstock and reshaping it and repainting it will leave you with a foreign buttstock - the revenuers have decreed that the 'function must change'.

There is a letter around here covering this (not that the letters mean anything, but some folks take 'em for Gospel).