Just got a Halo handguard

So I just got a used Halo handguard for my Saiga 12, and while I'm waiting for my durabake to come in the mail I figured I'd put it on my Saiga just to see how it looks/feels etc. I'm having a little trouble getting it on though. Specifically, the upper half. The bottom half isn't giving me any problems and fits just fine.

Now I have factory sights on it and I don't see anything else being the problem with getting that upper half on. Do I have to remove the factory sights to get the thing on properly or is there something I'm just not seeing here? It didn't come with any instructions so I just tried putting it on. Any help is appreciated, and I can provide pictures if it would help.

The rear sight has to be knocked off. Take a pin punch and a hammer and knock it off.

So I just got a used Halo handguard for my Saiga 12, and while I'm waiting for my durabake to come in the mail I figured I'd put it on my Saiga just to see how it looks/feels etc. I'm having a little trouble getting it on though. Specifically, the upper half. The bottom half isn't giving me any problems and fits just fine.

Now I have factory sights on it and I don't see anything else being the problem with getting that upper half on. Do I have to remove the factory sights to get the thing on properly or is there something I'm just not seeing here? It didn't come with any instructions so I just tried putting it on. Any help is appreciated, and I can provide pictures if it would help.

So how strongly attached is the rear sight? It appears that it slides under the two rails holding it in place. Before I go at my Saiga with a pin punch and hammer I just want to know if its welded on there or if its screwed on from the bottom or anything like that. Thanks for your help.

The rear sight has to be knocked off. Take a pin punch and a hammer and knock it off.

So how strongly attached is the rear sight? It appears that it slides under the two rails holding it in place. Before I go at my Saiga with a pin punch and hammer I just want to know if its welded on there or if its screwed on from the bottom or anything like that. Thanks for your help.

The sight is dovetailed in. Pound it out--it may take some elbow grease.

Put some penetrating oil on it first and let it sit.

One other thing you may want to do before you finish it...They didn't plan too well when they made the RH rail extend so far back. Here's one I modified so that it wasn't a danger to your knuckle while charging the weapon. Before I cut it back, it was only a half inch or so from the charging handle.

post-1293-1231221369_thumb.jpg

After u get it on, the sights may be off. My POA was too high so I shimmed it with copper washers on the bottom screw mount and now it's good to go.

After putting some penetrating oil on it and letting it sit, the rear sight still hasn't moved at all. I'm hitting it with the punch on the side of the sight--should I be hitting it from a different angle?

Also, for the user who asked, durabake is a firearm finish in the duracoat line which comes in an aerosol can and is sprayed on like spraypaint, then placed in an oven to cure as opposed to Duracoat which dries and cures simply over time.

After putting some penetrating oil on it and letting it sit, the rear sight still hasn't moved at all. I'm hitting it with the punch on the side of the sight--should I be hitting it from a different angle?

Also, for the user who asked, durabake is a firearm finish in the duracoat line which comes in an aerosol can and is sprayed on like spraypaint, then placed in an oven to cure as opposed to Duracoat which dries and cures simply over time.

Some of them are like that. I remember grinding the rear site down flat and then making a relief cut into what was left of the site, from left to right until it was most of the way through. Then used a cold chisle to finish splitting it into so I could remove the pieces.

lol Nice try but the Halo is worth a lot more than the surefire tri rail forearm. Besides, I got the Halo for two main reasons: functionality of the quad rail system, and its aggressive looks (I really don't like how the surefire looks anyway). It is a little on the heavy side but that doesn't bother me.

the truth is you will never get it to work and you should promptly ship it to me and ill give you a surefire tri rail forend in exchange for your troublesome trinket. :) i wish you the best of luck friend

I didn't have to remove my factory sights when I installed my Halo. Are there different sights on different Saiga 12's?

Here is the contact info for the manufacturer. Even though they don't make them anymore I'm sure they have install instructions on file....

Mailing Address

Halo Manufacturing

3980 Shenstone Drive, Ste. A

Eugene, Oregon 97404

Phone/Fax

(541) 688-2645

info@halomfg.com

Hours

10:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. P.S.T.

Monday - Friday and by Appointment

Edited by superdavemfb

Well I finally got that damn rear sight off! I ended up using a combination of the pin punch + hammer method and using a hacksaw to cut across the rear sight on both sides of the raised part to weaken it, since I do not plan on saving the factory rear sight anyway. I was able to get my Halo handguard on with no problems, now I just have to wait until my durabke comes and I can get it to match the rest of the gun.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Also, redstararms.com offers something called the "campy sight tool" which can be used to get the rear sight off in like a minute. It is used to get the rear sights off AK and SKS rifles, and some claim it works on the Saiga 12 as well but I don't exactly see how it would. Maybe worth checking out if someone is really desperate to get their rear sight off.