200+ rounds thru my new SGM mags

Well what better way to start off the new year then to go to the range and let loose 200+ plus rounds of cheep Winchester Game Load.

It's been a rainy December so our range is greener then it's been in a long time:

IMGP0843.JPG

This was supposed to be a torture test for the new SGM mags, but I had some tag alongs:

IMGP0842.JPG

So after 200+ rounds of the cheapest crappiest ammo(I'm sure there's worse, but this is the cheapest stuff on island) I could put thru it. I had two FTE's, but that was when I was bump firing, so nothing to do with the mags. And three FTF's, the first two times it was jammed with the top of the shell wedged against the upper barrel lip. Both occurred on the same mag so I figured it was something to do with the feed angle. I took the mag apart to re-seat the spring on the follower. I had no problems after that. The other FTF occurred when I double tapped a round while I was still recoiling from the first shot, the bolt stopped about 3/4 of an inch from battery, this one is in the videos below.

Poor target stand... I owe them a new one:

IMGP0854.JPG

Note the trail of scorched earth out the back of my stand :devil: :

IMGP0853.JPG

After that it was on to slugs, I only had 20 but they all feed flawlessly, no surprise there.

There was some concern voiced over the fact that these mags didn't have metal feed lips. I took 2 mags with me so I put about 100 rounds thru each, they are showing some signs of wear. The feed lips seem fine, but the lower guide grooves are showing a lot of shaving already, it's hard to describe, when I get home today I'll take close up shots of them. Time will tell...

More Photos

You mean the ejector ring guides are showing wear from loading?

Ummm... I think so... like I say I don't know how to describe it... A picture is worth 1000 words... give me about 2 more hours :D

That is one sweeeet lookin' range there....Where is it? You're a lucky man :smoke:

Maui, Hawaii. Or as some might call it, paradise. :D

http://valleyislesportshooter.com/

AkuSaru,

Thanks for the report. Did you get any upclose photos of the wear caused to the mags? I'd love to see what you're talking about.

We've had some rain too. Ummm, rain on snow that is. I can only dream of green grass right now...

P1040332.jpg

Yeah, this is after two full days of rain. Before that is was balls deep snow. I can't believe how much has melted. Really surprised it had hard ground/base and Mike didn't get stuck opening the range's drain here.

I am hoping that my opinion of these mags changes when I go out to the range, but as of now I don't like them.

Hand cycling them and all three FTF at least three times because the follower/spring does not push the next round up to the bolt fully.

One of the mags had to be sanded so it would load into my gun (no biggy, just another problem).

I have disassembled all the mags and reseated the springs and am still having the same problem. I hope that when the gun is fired, they function properly or it is revealed I am doing something wrong.

AkuSaru,

Thanks for the report. Did you get any upclose photos of the wear caused to the mags? I'd love to see what you're talking about.

Sorry for the delay... stupid life getting in the way :D

Here they are:

IMGP0859.JPG

IMGP0861.JPG

IMGP0862.JPG

That was about 100 rounds thru it.

As you can see, that lower guide edge has taken a beating. Dunno if it will affect the feeding in the long run. I figure that as it wears down more the shell might rotate upwards more than it should as the bolt strips it out of the mag. Time will tell.

As you can see, that lower guide edge has taken a beating. Dunno if it will affect the feeding in the long run. I figure that as it wears down more the shell might rotate upwards more than it should as the bolt strips it out of the mag. Time will tell.

Thanks for the pics. All of my AGPs show that same exact wear, and I discovered it was from letting others load the mags. People don't look at that channel and just try to load them like pistol mags (push down, then back instead of following that channel).

I don't think it would affect feeding. If anything, as long as you know how to load the mag it would just make loading easier/smoother.

I found it very interesting how surefire designed the follower to rock forward allowing you to load by pushing down on the nose of the shell -vs- pushing the underneath shell down with your left hand and feeding with the other.

So far I like what I see with these. Lots of glass in the plastic so tight tolerances and nearly no sag or sink when removed from the mold.

Edited by hobbyshooter
Thanks for the photos...a picture is worth 1000 words.

Don't be quite so quick to judge from the pics there bean, I contacted Greg about those very same pics and after looking at them he said pretty much the same thing that hobbyshooter did

Edited by gmorgan

I just got from the range. We put about 100 rounds between my 2 surefire mags. They aren't as nicked up as the images above, but the guide channel near the lips are rounded now. I'm not worried about it at all. As long as you load the mags right it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't jam the shells straight down then back.

As for the range report, between my 2 surefire mags and RRices 1 surefire mag: We didn't have any feed issues. I was shooting 7-1/2 1-1/8 oz bird shot on setting 1, RRice had a few FTE on his brand new gun so we clicked it to setting 2 and from that point on we just went through the ammo.

His 8" Tromix gun was on setting 1 and it wouldn't eject the bird shot most of the time, but we both attribute that to the gas setting. The buck shell, and about 30% of the bird shot did eject.

Personally I love these mags. AGPs are great mags, and really turned this gun into an awesome toy, but these Surefires are well worth the money IMO and you can't go wrong with either.

Don't be quite so quick to judge from the pics there bean, I contacted Greg about those very same pics and after looking at them he said pretty much the same thing that hobbyshooter did

gmorgan,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to take some of your own advise. I didn't say anything about the mags. I did not make a judgement call at all in that post. I was just saying that the photos are great and describe what the OP was talking about. But now I can "see" that. I am not at all worried about the scratches/rubbing that they show. The feedlips look good and that, I believe, is the where the issues would start (if there were to be any). Of course, I'm the FNG and have a lot to learn about the Saiga. I guess I need to be a little more clear in the future.

It seems these Surefire mags are a touchy subject with some around here. I truly am hoping for the best, as I have invested a few hundred $$$ in them...they just haven't arrived yet. Anxiously waiting.

Where did everyone find theirs? I might pick up a clear one. Anyone play with those yet?

The black 12rd are all that we have available right now. If there is enough interest, the clear may be manufactured in the near future.

Greg

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to take some of your own advise. I didn't say anything about the mags. I did not make a judgement call at all in that post. I was just saying that the photos are great and describe what the OP was talking about. But now I can "see" that. I am not at all worried about the scratches/rubbing that they show. The feedlips look good and that, I believe, is the where the issues would start (if there were to be any). Of course, I'm the FNG and have a lot to learn about the Saiga. I guess I need to be a little more clear in the future.

It seems these Surefire mags are a touchy subject with some around here. I truly am hoping for the best, as I have invested a few hundred $$$ in them...they just haven't arrived yet. Anxiously waiting.

Bean no offense taken, just next time you comment on a new product here you might want to be a weee bit more specific to your post, "a picture is worth a 1000 words" referring to those particular pictures could easily be misinterpreted as a negative and with all the past BS about new products and projects posted here we don't need any more. Enjoy your new toy and have fun.