Hi folks. Been exploring the possibility of major decline in component availability and casting my own bullets. It has come to my attention recently that free lead supplies are readily drying up. No longer do local tire shops let you have cast of balance weights for free or minimal charge, it seems they are no longer allowed to do that due to EPA regs. The one obvious source is mining the berms at your local range (SWAT magazine just did an article on that). Does anyone have any other good sources for this "strategic" material? It seems the safer our government makes our world the more dangerous it gets.

Hi folks. Been exploring the possibility of major decline in component availability and casting my own bullets. It has come to my attention recently that free lead supplies are readily drying up. No longer do local tire shops let you have cast of balance weights for free or minimal charge, it seems they are no longer allowed to do that due to EPA regs. The one obvious source is mining the berms at your local range (SWAT magazine just did an article on that). Does anyone have any other good sources for this "strategic" material? It seems the safer our government makes our world the more dangerous it gets.

Saigaczech' ,

I haven't ever made my own bullets, but here are 2 places I would check out.

1.) a plumbing store has lead ingots for pouring around the old cast iron plumbing connections

2. ) call me "mr. obvious", but have you checked a salvage yard. I have been amazed at what you can get and for how little at a salvage yard.

louielouie

Saigaczech: I shoot a lot in BPCR so I cast a LOT of bullets...The best source of lead for MY needs has been (a "secret" here) finding a scrap yard that has received the lead that was once used to line the walls of hospital Xray rooms. It is pure lead and came in flat sheets about 1/8 inch thick...I can add tin as needed to harden it. For smokeless loads wheel weights are MUCH harder. (They contain antimony, tin, zinc etc)..For smokeless loads harder isnt a bad thing. Reducing the velocity slightly will reduce leading and usually give better accuracy in modern loads. Also use a GOOD bullet lube. Using reduced velocity, gas checked, cast bullets can often give very surprising results. Before ordering a mould slug your barrel so you know what size bullet you need. Corbin makes presses with which you can jacket your own bullets if you wish...Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will look for a salvage yard in this area. I doubt I will get any hospital lead sheeting from X ray rooms as this state is so full of EPA tree hugger types. I may get lucky with the other sources though. Your advice is much appreciated. Now I don't have to let down my old car batteries, lol.

There are two suppliers that I go through for quality lead alloy at a reasonable price.

First there is this Junkateer-Jerry's ebay store. He sells two different alloys in 1 to 1-1/2ingots either pure lead or WW alloy and does so quantity and quality for a price that is very hard to beat:

~ http://stores.ebay.com/Junkateer-Jerry

And then if you want quality certified alloy a good place to go is Rotometals who mainly supply the deep sea salt water boys but also has a line of bullet casting alloys as well for a price significantly steaper then Junkateer-Jerry's ebay store but never the less significantly less then other sources of certified bullet casting alloy such as NEY. Offerings include Pure Lead, 30:1, 25:1, 20:1, Lyman#2, Hardball, Linotype, 6%Antimony Swag Alloy, Pure Tin, and even Pure Zinc if you want to get fancy and cast yourself some "lead free" bullets with your exising melting pot and molds -- just make sure you clean your pot and molds real well before you switch back to lead based alloys zinc and lead don't mix just like oil and water. For me personally I keep a second melting pot for zinc exclusivley and alloy it with a little tin. That way I only have to clean the molds when switching back and forth.

~ http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

~ http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/zincingots.htm

• 5 months later...
Go to auto salvage yard and pull the wheel weights off of the cars.

Or any metal scape yard for good quality lead for about $.50 a pound.

Plus the local trap/skeet here sells "reclaimed" shot for $1.00 a pound. I watched how they process it....they tumble it in a cement mixer and it comes out looking nice and clean and well shaped. Heck...it looked new.

The scrap yard is a good idea, If you find one that has what you want, you might try trading for it. All of my past cheap or free lead suppliers are not available anymore. I went fishing yesterday and kept seeing an old cast net up in the trash, it took me a couple of minutes to realize i had to check it out. The lead line was already cut off.

I do have about 200# of lead for backup but still looking....