Australian 308 ammo?

I was looking around for bricks of 308 ammo... damn Wal-Mart wants $0.80 a round... figured I could find it cheaper...

so, I found this:

http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp (scroll to the bottom)

it's 800 rds on Australian 308 ammo for $160 with shipping...

Does anyone know about this ammo? Will it hurt my rifle, etc? I emailed "Dan" for some kind of guarantee, but all he said was "do a search, you will find the Australian surplus to be some of the finest ammo available".

Well, here begins my search :)

thnx

Andrew

I got a good deal from them on the surplus ammo from India; back when shipping was free. Haven't had any problems with it so far in my CETME. :killer: Except...they lost my order. When I called and reordered it, they mailed it to my billing address and not my shipping. <_<

Aussie ammo is da bomb. Watch out for the indian non-nato ammo. They lie about it being NATO spec. look for port,hirtenberger,even south american crap is good. Your Saiga .308 will eat anything,so feed it well and often.I have 2 .308 conversions and one of them has at least 15,000 rnds, with no problems at all. For a cheap gun they kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :super:

KY - I'm having a similar problem with dansammo.com - I ordered 800 rounds of the Australian ammo two days ago and 1000 rounds of the 7.62 NATO HP and I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone nor have I been able to get an email response

Does anyone know anything about these guys?? Should I email them and cancel my order? Someone from urban-armory.com called me today saying they had all the ammo I wanted in stock and they seem to have better customer service... I'm just scared that I "cancel" the order, they don't pay attention to it/don't see it, then I get 1600 rounds of 308 and 2000 rounds of 7.62!!

thoughts?

thnx

Andrew

Comp21,

I had to call several times myself to get anyone and like I said before, when my SECOND order was processed (they lost the first) I waited and waited for it only to find out that while I was buying 308 at Walmart (big $$$), it had been in for some time at my BILLING ADDRESS, not shipping address. If you want to save some money they are great, but yeah, costomer service isn't.

KYsoldier-

I decided to cancel my order (I wrote them an email and left them a voice message about it...) since I wrote them several emails and didn't get a read receipt for any of them...

I figured it up and I could get all the ammo I wanted from aimsurplus.com for a little bit less... now, I don't get the cool ammo cans that I wanted along with the ammo, but oh well...

I also just ordered the Romainian AK-47 2003 model from the same site...

thnx

Andrew

There was a container load of Aussie that was sold off over on the FAL Files. One of the members' father imported it and sold it at around $100/cs. People liked it a lot; I didn't get in on it.

I have bought INDEP, DAG, and PMP from AIM Surplus. Out of the three, I like the INDEP and will keep buying it as long as it is available. It is as accurate as Remington sporting ammo and burns very clean. I think I paid around $130 for the last two cases.

You might also want to try Wideners out of Johnson City, TN. They usually have some excellent deals on surplus ammo.

BTW, right now, AIM has an awesome deal on Turk 8mm. Something like $108 for 2700 rounds. A great deal for MG-42 owners.

• 2 weeks later...

New guy here. Got my 308 in June and have 7-800 rounds through it . Have shot Aussie-good groups, South African- good also, Hurtenburger-fantastic, but most with Chinnese steel core/steel jacket BT(120for$35) and it shoots real good and clean.

Got some Indian NATO, Spanish NATO and Russian Barnaul 308 dropped on the doorstep today. I'll try them this weekend. My SKS really likes the Barnaul Silver Bear and I've been waiting to find it in 308 and have high hopes. Got new 6.5x20x50 scope sighted in so well I shoot a hole in the target and then shoot at the hole. Range lasered at 117 yards. Shot other guys setup golf ball last Saturday, pissed him off but I didn't know he had set it up, We had been shooting for 2 hours( I had shot my M48 and .50 inline also) and he was not sighted in enough to shoot it (.270). "Sorry"

Wish I could get to a 300 yd range. Will try to attach picture of plain jane Saiga. Love it. Call it my girlfriend. Wife is tolerent, but has shot it.

post-6-1069220964.jpg

well, I got my surplus South African ammo from Aimsurplus.com (along with my Romanian AK-47, does anyone know where I can get a bayonet to fit this? :) )... anyway:

308 surplus South African... shoots fine, very dirty... shot prob 30 rounds...

7.62 Silver Bear Russian... not too bad, shot 140 rounds through the AK (quite a few of them all around the same time thanks to the 75-round drum I just got in :) )... anyway, AK was just as dirty as the 308... not more, not less...

but, hell, I got all the rounds for 8.5 cents a piece... I guess I really can't complain :)

just my 2 cents :)

Spent 5 hours at range today,117 yrds. Saiga results: My standard chinese steel- zeroed, Indian NATO good at same zero, South African NATO good at same zero, Aussie NATO a little better, Spainish NATO very, very good, will order more, Barnaul Silver Bear .308 3 inches low and all over, supprised and will order no more.

• 2 years later...

Yes. :cryss:

I remember telling myself not to go overboard and buy too much.

Now, of course, I wish I would have gone overboard and bought too much.

Oh well. I still have several cases...that I'm saving.

That's the problem now. Ammo is getting so expensive that I hate to shoot what I have because the replacement cost is so high.

Oh well, there's a solution to every problem. I think that it's time to branch off into bolt action rifles since the ammo consumption is considerably less. Also, it gives me a more balanced approach as every rifle I have now is semi-auto.

Edited by Oswald2001
Spent 5 hours at range today,117 yrds. Saiga results: My standard chinese steel- zeroed, Indian NATO good at same zero, South African NATO good at same zero, Aussie NATO a little better, Spainish NATO very, very good, will order more, Barnaul Silver Bear .308 3 inches low and all over, supprised and will order no more.

i find that funny since this is the first i've ever heard of any bad groups with bear ammo.

especially the 308. it does shoot a little low but thats b/c its not loaded near as HOT as the others which is cool for me b/c that is less wear and tear on the rifle.

the silver bear is excellent ammo. guess your rifle just doesn't like it.

good luck!

I bought some .308 ammo on Wednesday from a local gun shop. The box is marked as follows:

20 CARTUCHOS

CAL 7.62 x 51mm COMUN

LOT MUN 08 FLB 83

INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA

On one end of the box the letters "FM" appear in a double circle. Anybody have any info on this ammo????

I fired off a couple of rounds, & after looking inside the spent brass, I found it was berdan primed. Not sure if it's corrosive or not. Doesn't matter really because of the chrome-lined barrel.

Edited by Hylndr