An idea on reducing recoil

I have read that using a recoil buffer in a Saiga 12 is a bad idea, due to the fact that the bolt then does not have enough rearward travel when one in employed and this effects the guns timing and results in jams. I think I have that right. :D

But, if one was to use a flat plate on the rear of one's shotgun in place of the factory stock or a internal stock mounting block it seems that you would have a little more room in the receiver. Could this room not be used to accommodate a recoil buffer and the bolt still have sufficient rearward travel?

To reduce recoil (IMO) put an Enidine shot shok on your gun. Tis what I am doing now.

Ace has a no mod to receiver ar to ak stock adapter (metal). Supposed to reduce recoil

by 70% (the enidine buffer). I am waiting for parts to arrive so I cannot tell you for sure if

that is how much the recoil is reduced. You need metal as plastic would seem too soft to

handle the recoil. This has been discussed in another thread.

beagle12

Thanks for the idea, but that is not what I am interested in. Recoil Buffers have been rightfully demonetized as causing problems for the Saiga 12. I am just wondering if I can make some use of the extra room in the receiver with the weld on stock mount rear plate. I noticed a thread here last night about Recoil Buffers, but again my idea/question is slightly different.

No silly comments are needed about if Mikhail Kalashnikov had thought the gun needed a buffer he would have incorporated one in the design. Mikhail Kalashnikov never built or intended an AK to fire 12 guage shot shells...

• 3 months later...

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think think the stock or internal blocks ever come into contact with the carrier. So not having them wouldn't allow the bolt to come back any farther than it currently does. As I understand it, the problem with using a buffer with the shotguns is that the bolts only overtravel past the ejector something like 1/2" or less. Compare that to the rifles that have a good inch or more of overtravel. By reducing the bolt's travel even more, some guns cycle too quickly for the mag to keep up.

I made a buffer for my Saiga 12 out of a gel insole and it works great. The material can be squished down to almost nothing....

heel.jpg

Shown with a typical "hard" buffer.

installed.jpg

ingun.jpg

No problems yet.

Corbin

• 2 weeks later...
I have read that using a recoil buffer in a Saiga 12 is a bad idea, due to the fact that the bolt then does not have enough rearward travel when one in employed and this effects the guns timing and results in jams. I think I have that right. :D

But, if one was to use a flat plate on the rear of one's shotgun in place of the factory stock or a internal stock mounting block it seems that you would have a little more room in the receiver. Could this room not be used to accommodate a recoil buffer and the bolt still have sufficient rearward travel?

I think you've got it right. the weld on plate would give about 3/8" more room, so a buffer should not be a problem. My question is how does a buffer reduce recoil if the bolt is not hitting the trunnion? I'd like to use one to prevent the bolt slamming the trunnion if I accidently mix up the gas plug setting or get some overpowered ammo, but I don't think they will do anything if the gas is set properly for the load being used. Am I missing something here?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think think the stock or internal blocks ever come into contact with the carrier. So not having them wouldn't allow the bolt to come back any farther than it currently does. As I understand it, the problem with using a buffer with the shotguns is that the bolts only overtravel past the ejector something like 1/2" or less. Compare that to the rifles that have a good inch or more of overtravel. By reducing the bolt's travel even more, some guns cycle too quickly for the mag to keep up.

I made a buffer for my Saiga 12 out of a gel insole and it works great. The material can be squished down to almost nothing....

heel.jpg

Shown with a typical "hard" buffer.

installed.jpg

ingun.jpg

No problems yet.

hell" I have some in an old shoe of mine goin to cut it up now! thanks.

Corbin

Great links, Yesno!

Very informative.

I'm curious now, once I get my Saiga 12 reassembled (picked it up from getting refinished today), I'm wanting to see just how much it weighs with everything I've got on it.

LOL, I wonder if the higher capacity mags & drum(s) should be called "recoil reducers" due to them being heavier? ;)

Corbin