another bullet guide question

Being that you posted this in the 7.62x39 section, and I could only find (1) x39 guide on K-Var's site, I assume you got this one: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=281&page=1 ?

It looks to made for a flat trunnion.

AK-762BG.jpg

I'm not sure if you could grind it down. Does it look like there's enough meat on it, to grind some away? I can't tell from that angle.

Edited by 22_Shooter
Being that you posted this in the 7.62x39 section, and I could only find (1) x39 guide on K-Var's site, I assume you got this one: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=281&page=1 ?

It looks to made for a flat trunnion.

AK-762BG.jpg

I'm not sure if you could grind it down. Does it look like there's enough meat on it, to grind some away? I can't tell from that angle.

From looking at the guides on dinzags site ithink i can. Had i found this site or dinzags earlier than ordering from kvar, i would of ordered dinzags or manufactured my own. By the way do you think it is possible to weld a small bead on the trunion to make a guide.

I just did 3 of these(two flat and one round)

For the round you will have to grind the square part off the bottom and cutoff the left "ear" and for the square trunnion you just cut off the "ear"

I used the Dinzag feedramp on the first one and it was a smoother installation and so far not a single malfunction on 350-500rds and I used modified K-Var feedramps on my buddy's two Saigas reworked as I describe above

Edited by SOPMOD

I used that same BG in one of my Saiga builds recently - the saiga was a 'round bottom' like yours. I ended up lopping off the right side of it (the side that had the hole in it). I then redrilled the hole (and chamfered it with a 60-degree countersink), and filed off the remaining 'flat' part underneath, as well as the 'ramp' that is used to turn the bolt on the left side.

Here's what it looked like after I redrilled a smaller hole and riveted it in:

bg_rivet_before_after_2.jpg

Notice on the very far right side of the BG that you can still see a tiny remnant of the original hole. This worked well and is feeding fine.

-Thirtycal

Edited by ThirtyCal
I used that same BG in one of my Saiga builds recently - the saiga was a 'round bottom' like yours. I ended up lopping off the right side of it (the side that had the hole in it). I then redrilled the hole (and chamfered it with a 60-degree countersink), and filed off the remaining 'flat' part underneath, as well as the 'ramp' that is used to turn the bolt on the left side.

bg_rivet_before_after_2.jpg

Notice on the very far right side of the BG that you can still see a tiny remnant of the original hole. This worked well and is feeding fine.

-Thirtycal

beautiful work as usual 30cal. that looks like atleast an 1/8th inch overhang though. or do you have to grind it off. asa for my last question,CAN YOU WELD ON THE TRUNION

<photo removed>

-Thirtycal

beautiful work as usual 30cal. that looks like atleast an 1/8th inch overhang though. or do you have to grind it off. asa for my last question,CAN YOU WELD ON THE TRUNION

Yes the overhang is intentional and correct. The overhang is what gets the bullet nose lifted out of the magazine feed lips, popping it up into the chamber. I have another I built with a dinzag BG with no overhang, but the dinzag BG is thicker than this Bulgy BG. Since it's thicker, it lifts the bullet nose up high enough to still make it into the chamber... Personally I prefer this modified Bulgy BG over the Dinzag.

As for welding on the trunnion. Yup it has been done, but I don't recommend it :cryss: :

weld-bead-bullet-guide-wtf.jpg

-Thirtycal

<photo removed>

-Thirtycal

Yes the overhang is intentional and correct. The overhang is what gets the bullet nose lifted out of the magazine feed lips, popping it up into the chamber. I have another I built with a dinzag BG with no overhang, but the dinzag BG is thicker than this Bulgy BG. Since it's thicker, it lifts the bullet nose up high enough to still make it into the chamber... Personally I prefer this modified Bulgy BG over the Dinzag.

As for welding on the trunnion. Yup it has been done, but I don't recommend it :cryss: :

-Thirtycal

I think Tennessee Guns (?) does that in the conversions they sell (which Atlantic Firearms sells also).

Not my cup of tea, but one guy came here and posted that it works. I'd still opt for a real bullet guide, personally.

<photo removed>

-Thirtycal

-Thirtycal

I think Tennessee Guns (?) does that in the conversions they sell (which Atlantic Firearms sells also).

Not my cup of tea, but one guy came here and posted that it works. I'd still opt for a real bullet guide, personally.

yea that weld looks like ass. he could of atleast cleaned it up better. Im gonna go with the rivet option.

• 2 weeks later...

<photo removed>

-Thirtycal

-Thirtycal

yea that weld looks like ass. he could of atleast cleaned it up better. Im gonna go with the rivet option.

HELP!!!! What is the best way to install the rivet. I tried an air hammer with no luck, and should i have the head of the rivet on the bottom?