Have a weird jamming problem.

Thanks cma g21! I'm not smart enought to figure out how to do that!

I still had that page open in another window when I saw your post (so I figured I'd post the link before I forgot where I found it).

I sent the PM to the guy to get some more information on what exactly it is that he had to file away.

p.s. Cannot get a hold of RAAC... been calling their number for the past 2 days, leaving messages adn sent then 2 emails as well... NO RESPONSE!!! >:-(

I sent the PM to the guy to get some more information on what exactly it is that he had to file away.

p.s. Cannot get a hold of RAAC... been calling their number for the past 2 days, leaving messages adn sent then 2 emails as well... NO RESPONSE!!! >:-(

Hi, I just saw your msg and replied. But I forgot to include some pics :ph34r:

Here are before polishing:

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

And I just took two pics of how it looks now:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I have no confidence about my hand so I just let a gunsmith to decide how much to remove... :rolleyes:

And, I remember that for the two columns in the mag, only one side of the ammo would interfere with the lug...should be left side if my memory didn't cheat me :P

So it should be OK to only polishing one side of the lug.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Dah

RAAC is located in Scottsburg, Indiana. It is about 100 miles due east of where I live in Vincennes, Indiana. The last three days we have been hammered with a really bad winter storm...at least for indiana. I have approximately 8-10 inches of freezing rain and snow in layers. Schools are closed and the mail was even cancelled today. RAAC is more than likely closed due to the weather. There are huge power outages all over southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky.

RAAC is located in Scottsburg, Indiana. It is about 100 miles due east of where I live in Vincennes, Indiana. The last three days we have been hammered with a really bad winter storm...at least for indiana. I have approximately 8-10 inches of freezing rain and snow in layers. Schools are closed and the mail was even cancelled today. RAAC is more than likely closed due to the weather. There are huge power outages all over southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky.

Gentlemen, I have cofirmed the un-machined bolt syndrome...

Took it out to the range yesterday, and could barely put 2 rounds through the gun at a time... The casing that were ejected out of the gun has some serious dents at the top, even though I was shooting Silver Bear that has steel casing... :-O

Thank god my friend came along with his .308, so I took his rifle apart and VOILA!!! his bolt is machined just like the pictures above show, where as my bolt is sharp almost like a knife. I only shot about 6 rounds through the gun to confirm what the problem is exactly and decided to call it a day.

The question i have now is... Shold I file down the sharp point on the bolt to make it look like my friend's and the images above, or should I just send it to RAAC IF they ever answer me...

I am pretty good with fabrication and that modification looks like it is far from rocket science in the degree of sifficulty...

They did give me a free 8 round factory magazine...a twenty dollar coupon good toward accessories RAAC sells and (2) Saiga camouflage beverage holders. I read another post where all the guy received back from RAAC was the drink holders...no magazine. I cannot remember if he received the coupon or not? If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself then that may be your best bet. It was nice getting the magazine though...they are not cheap! I spent $120.00+ tax for (3) 25 round Surefire magazines.

They did give me a free 8 round factory magazine...a twenty dollar coupon good toward accessories RAAC sells and (2) Saiga camouflage beverage holders. I read another post where all the guy received back from RAAC was the drink holders...no magazine. I cannot remember if he received the coupon or not? If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself then that may be your best bet. It was nice getting the magazine though...they are not cheap! I spent $120.00+ tax for (3) 25 round Surefire magazines.

Yes, It seems like I am just going to go ahead an fix that thing myself tonight... I just cannot wait to shoot it normally already... PLus from teh pictures that were posted above, it seems like i will be able to tackle that task no problem.

Thanks for all the help guys and especially for those posted pix.

I will update all as soon as i get to fix the problema nd range test it...

Good luck, hope that its just that simple!! :up: and after the filing, it functions flawlessly as it should!!!

:smoke:

Gentlemen, we are back in action... After some trimming of the material with a file, everything is functioning like a charm with snap caps. Tommorow will be taken to the range and tried with live ammo...

Thank you all SO MUCH for all the help and especially the pictures!!!

:-)

Man!

I should send mine to them and get the freebies... :angry:

Good luck, hope that its just that simple!! :up: and after the filing, it functions flawlessly as it should!!!

:smoke:

Gentlemen, we are back in action... After some trimming of the material with a file, everything is functioning like a charm with snap caps. Tommorow will be taken to the range and tried with live ammo...

Thank you all SO MUCH for all the help and especially the pictures!!!

:-)

You are welcome!

Glad to see the the picture helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Just like to chime in here, sorry for resurrecting an older thread.

I had the same frustrating experience as AK86 with my NIB Saiga. Could barely chamber a round when the mags were full without literally standing the rifle on its butt, and LEANING on the charging handle with all my might.

Took the bolt out, spent 30 mins filing, fitting, filing, fitting, etc, in the same location as others here have pointed out.

Its still not what I would call easy to charge, but it can be done one handed at hip level, grasped firmly.

Rifle has 500 or so rounds through it now, had maybe 3 jams (Which I attribute 100% to the 300 or so crummy Wolf brand ammo, which is too underpowered to cycle the bolt properly sometimes) 2 were stovepipes, and one where a round caught the nose on the front lug of the mag, and held the bolt open. All 3 were with wolf, had no problems with WWB, or Fed. Premium soft points, (can cut down trees easily with soft points!)

Just like to chime in here, sorry for resurrecting an older thread.

I had the same frustrating experience as AK86 with my NIB Saiga. Could barely chamber a round when the mags were full without literally standing the rifle on its butt, and LEANING on the charging handle with all my might.

Took the bolt out, spent 30 mins filing, fitting, filing, fitting, etc, in the same location as others here have pointed out.

Its still not what I would call easy to charge, but it can be done one handed at hip level, grasped firmly.

Rifle has 500 or so rounds through it now, had maybe 3 jams (Which I attribute 100% to the 300 or so crummy Wolf brand ammo, which is too underpowered to cycle the bolt properly sometimes) 2 were stovepipes, and one where a round caught the nose on the front lug of the mag, and held the bolt open. All 3 were with wolf, had no problems with WWB, or Fed. Premium soft points, (can cut down trees easily with soft points!)

try to remove a little more material and if it is wtill not smooth after that, might be a good idea to send it to RAAC... After filing the action should be cycling perfectly smooth...

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy all... new to the boards, having just bought a Saiga 308 (wood furniture) last week. I just wanted to add another THANK YOU to the list of appreciative readers. Mine had the same issue. I even had the same snap caps and the same gouges LOL

Anyway... a little filing thanks to the pictures on here and it's good to go.

Thanks!!!!

• 3 months later...

Has there been any issues with strange fired cases from these .308's like there is on the 223 around the primer, or the 7.62 x 39 around the neck being expanded?

I deleted part of the message asking for a picture of the before/after. When posting, the rest of the thread had that in there....sorry.

However, I am curious about any unusual markings on the fired case, or don't the Russian gov. feel the .308 is not a military round worth marking?

Edited by Darth AkSarBen

Maybe this is Russian way of "marking" the case.. LOL Nice deep gouge on the side to defenitely discourage reloading. Please pass the Bondo to keep the powder from dribbling out of the gash during reloading !

Edited by Darth AkSarBen
  • 4 months later...

I just finished my conversiom, and I have the same problem. It will fail to fire about every other round, and when I eject the live round in the chamber, the top round still in the mag has a pretty good dent in it. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so can someone please point out on Dah's picture the part I should be filing? Thanks all!!!

Edited by Reno2507