AK74 FSB on Saiga 308

I have the 308 with the short 16" barrel. I want to put a muzzle brake on it. After reading that you have to pretty much scrap the stock FSB to get it off I am looking at replacing it with a AK74 style FSB with the 24mm brake thread. I was not liking the idea of pushing the FSB back to get some barrel to thread for the brake. Seems like I could get one of these as a full solution replacement.

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...;products_id=52

The only issue is that the i.d. on the AK 74 FSB is .57" and the barrel O.D. on my Saiga is like .671. I have been reading that some guys turn their barrels down to get this to fit. Why not drill out the FSB bigger to just fit over the barrel? Will that work? I would probably pin it or weld it from there.

I have the 308 with the short 16" barrel. I want to put a muzzle brake on it. After reading that you have to pretty much scrap the stock FSB to get it off I am looking at replacing it with a AK74 style FSB with the 24mm brake thread. I was not liking the idea of pushing the FSB back to get some barrel to thread for the brake. Seems like I could get one of these as a full solution replacement.

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...;products_id=52

The only issue is that the i.d. on the AK 74 FSB is .57" and the barrel O.D. on my Saiga is like .671. I have been reading that some guys turn their barrels down to get this to fit. Why not drill out the FSB bigger to just fit over the barrel? Will that work? I would probably pin it or weld it from there.

I am wondering about this too. If anyone knows how the removal of the stock front sight/installation of the AK74 front sight with the compensator is done, please do let me know.

To put an AK74 FSB on a Saiga 308 would require having a good segment of the barrel turned down to a skinny diameter.That would be totally gay.I just had the muzzle turned and threaded for a 14x1 to 24x15 muzzle adapter and moved the stock rear sight moved back after reaming out the muzzle cap portion and it.

Saiga-DMR-1.jpg

Dinzag also sells something that will not require the removal of your barrel and provide the same threads if you don't have a lathe at your disposal.

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_308/308fsb.html

• 1 year later...

I had Tood Koonce (Koonce Custom Gunworks) turn down my muzzle and install a '74 FSB. Didn't cost much and didn't take much time. I run a standard '74 brake (that I bored out to roughly .410 for a little margin of safety). Very very mild recoil, somewhat of a blast. I still have to finish it- oh well that will be yet another summer project for me.

I still don't know what to do about the front HG retainer. I'm using a dinzag bolt on but I'm not feeling the love on that one....

IMG_0407.jpg

What's the path of least resistance, cost wise? I have an extra ak74 fsb lying around just beggin' to be used. To those who've had someone turn down the barrel, what's the typical cost? Can it be f'ed up easily by a bad smith? I thought the barrel can only be threaded for 17x1 as opposed to 14x1, but someone has just said they can get a muzzle attachment. I also have a jtac compensator for 14x1 I could use if that would work.

I recently went through somewhat the same decision process, in that I wanted to put on a PWS FSC30 muzzle brake that had a 5/8x24 thread and required a .631 barrel diameter. I also wanted to keep the original FSB and move it farther back on the barrel. The end of my barrel was about .67, so it needed to be reduced. Since it was not an option for me to send the barrel off to be turned down, I decided to reduce the diameter myself, and here is what I did:

First I punched the pins out of the base of the stock FSB and used a brass punch to get the FSB off. As mentioned by someone here earlier its no big deal.

Using a flap wheel on an electric drill I slowly, carefully grinded away around the barrel as evenly as possible. I alternated between the flap wheel and a 1" wide strip of heavy emory cloth, using the emory cloth by hand like a shoeshine cloth shining a shoe, except making sure I got all sides of the barrel. I measured my progress often with a good caliper. Within about 40 minutes of careful grinding and sanding and measuring I had enough of the barrel to the .631 diameter that I needed. I then crowned and threaded the barrel with Dinzag's tools.

The most challenging part of the whole process was widening the diameter of the stock FSB so that I could slip it down the barrel where the diameter was larger. To accomplish this I used an electric drill again with a wheel cylinder hone attachment and it worked fine, through it took over an hour to get it to the right diameter. If I was to do this again I would probably alternate between the wheel cylinder hone and a half-round hand file, again being careful to remove material evenly around the inner diameter of the FSB.

It was a challenging but very satisfying project. If you go this route, I suggest you go slowly and carefully and measure with your calipers often so you don't remove too much material.

• 8 months later...

I had Tood Koonce (Koonce Custom Gunworks) turn down my muzzle and install a '74 FSB. Didn't cost much and didn't take much time. I run a standard '74 brake (that I bored out to roughly .410 for a little margin of safety). Very very mild recoil, somewhat of a blast. I still have to finish it- oh well that will be yet another summer project for me.

I still don't know what to do about the front HG retainer. I'm using a dinzag bolt on but I'm not feeling the love on that one....

IMG_0407.jpg

Was going to get going on this project as I've just removed the stock FSB. I'm thinking about taking it down to the local gunsmith to get the barrel turned down for 80 bucks. Problem is that the pin holes are positioned so that they go on the bottom as opposed to the top of the barrel, plus you'd have to chew heavily into the barrel to get pins to go through. How'd you get that job done?

I would really like to have this extra '74 styled FSB since it's already threaded and there's a retainer pin.

Edited by choobie