I am mainly interested in the ATI folder, and heat shield with ghost ring, and the adapter to move the ghost ring back, all of which I have read will fit. But I know there are many mods for the 500, might want more someday.

Edited by mav
I've read that barrels won't interchange.

Don't believe everything you hear :haha:

post-1914-1234880573_thumb.jpg

The 500a (wooden) came with the long barrel, the Maverick 88 came with the shorty. The Maverick barrel does not screw down all the way (about two threads shy) on the 500a but the 500a barrel screws all the way down on the Maverick.

Try swapping the magazine tube as well if the 2 threads bother you, the bolt locks into the barrel extension so as long as this is happening the gun is safe to fire assuming headspace is correct. i had no problemes with any extra threads but i guess production tolerances chang over the years and different models.

I've read that barrels won't interchange.

Don't believe everything you hear :haha:

post-1914-1234880573_thumb.jpg

The 500a (wooden) came with the long barrel, the Maverick 88 came with the shorty. The Maverick barrel does not screw down all the way (about two threads shy) on the 500a but the 500a barrel screws all the way down on the Maverick.

Internet rumors have got me again.

So how do you like the Maverick? I like the prices I've seen them for, and have been considering them.

I prefer my Mossy 500A to the Maverick, no question there

I got the Maverick because it had a dress up kit on it

post-1914-1234922256_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1234922275_thumb.jpg

The kit worked as a novelty at best, that and once the AGPs came out for the S-12 10 rounds out a pump just wasn't as fun anymore.

I keep the Maverick around, it comes in handy occasionally but I really don't use it much anymore.

Thanks for the info guys. I might have to look into these some more.

At least until my girlfriend's dad decides to sell me his old 870. Even given it's age, it looks great, and he says it shoots great. I take the chance to molest it everytime we stop by there.

• 4 months later...

From all that I have read the Mossberg 500 is a better Shotgun than the Remington 870. Less problems with jamming and the 500 will take more abuse.

I have two 500s one I purchased used with an 18.5" barrel. I later found one in a pawn shop that some boob spray painted OD green with a 28" vented barrel. I put the 18.5" barrel on the one from the pawn shop and wire wheeled the 28" vented barrel. I found that Mossberg was running a special on re bluing barrels for $35.00 so I sent it off to get it done. When it comes back I will put it on my first Mossberg for hunting and skeet. The painted Mossberg will become my home protection. Just put a collapsible stock on it and am now looking tactical forend for 6 3/4" action bars. Not really worried how the home protection Mossberg looks....

Edited by Lakedweller
I prefer my Mossy 500A to the Maverick, no question there

I got the Maverick because it had a dress up kit on it

post-1914-1234922256_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1234922275_thumb.jpg

The kit worked as a novelty at best, that and once the AGPs came out for the S-12 10 rounds out a pump just wasn't as fun anymore.

I keep the Maverick around, it comes in handy occasionally but I really don't use it much anymore.

That looks bad ass.

Makes me regret selling my maverick 88....Where did you get the drum? and how do you attach it?

Knoxx Sidewinder Kit

Its all tacticool mall ninja and often jammed especially if somebody else loaded the drum. There was also 6 round stick mags floating around but I never did pick one up. Currently the kit is in a box somewhere here among my mess.