I LIVE IN UPSTATE NY

I LIVE IN UPSTATE NY AND I JUST PURCHASED A SAIGA 223 RIFLE, I WANTED TO ADD A TAPCO COLLAPSIBLE STOCK WITH PISTOL GRIP ,TAPCO HAND GUARD , AND A SUREFIRE 30 RD MAGAZINE INTO IT. BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT IS 100% LEGAL TO DO THIS . AFTER READIND ABOUT 922R IT IS STILL NOT CLEAR TO ME , EVEN THOUGH YOU EXPLAIN THE PARTS COUNT, IT STILL MENTION THAT THROWING A PISTOL GRIP AND COLLAPSIBLE STOCK IS NOT COMPLIANT AND ILLEGAL , CAN SOME ONE PLEASE SPECIFY IF I CAN MAKE THESE CHANGES, ANY HELP IN THIS SITUATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......

I am not sure about NY laws, but you would be US legal with the US surefire mag. The US made Sure fire and Promags count as three compliance parts. Use the counter on this link. Make sure you use the SECOND lik, as it applies specifically to Saiga.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32195

Here is what you get

MySaiga223.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster
I am not sure about NY laws, but you would be US legal with the US surefire mag. The US made Sure fire and Promags count as three compliance parts. Use the counter on this link. Make sure you use the SECOND lik, as it applies specifically to Saiga.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32195

Here is what you get

MySaiga223.jpg

The TAPCO t6 stock telescopes AND has a pistol grip and thus it is ILLEGAL in NY. So are magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

"An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher;"

If you want a pistol grip you cannot have any of the other features. Unless you like wearing orange.

Look into buying an ACE modular stock set if you wish to have a PG without conversion. Something like this is NJ legal and would be NY legal with 10 rd mags instead of 15 rd mags:

post-15286-1235339396_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigafun12345

You can have the Tapco T-6 stock but it must be pinned so that it can not move, you loose the adjustability. If you want to use a mag larger than 10 rounds in NY they must be pre-ban. I have been collecting 30 round AR 15 mags(pre-ban of course) to use with the MSA adapter in my .223, when ever it gets here.

RalphXL

yep, that Tapco mag is right out. You can only have "preban" magazines in NYS, so look for east german Weiger mags for your .223, or any mag made before 1994. The folding stock is out as well, it must be fixed in place if you are going to have a pistol grip. NYS has a version of the old 1994 AWB permanently in place.

Having pre-ban mags in the commie states is stupid and pointless if you ask me. Say you somehow draw attention to your firearm, for any reason at all not even firearm related, have fun proving those magazines are pre-ban in court to some ultra-gun control Noo Yawk prosecutor.

Oh they can bring you to court, but the burden of guilt is on them. Innocent untill proven guilty.

The AK is a old weapon, there were lots of mags befor '94... But for the .223 i recomend the AR mag adapter, pre ban AR mags are easy to get.

Having pre-ban mags in the commie states is stupid and pointless if you ask me. Say you somehow draw attention to your firearm, for any reason at all not even firearm related, have fun proving those magazines are pre-ban in court to some ultra-gun control Noo Yawk prosecutor.

Oh they can bring you to court, but the burden of guilt is on them. Innocent untill proven guilty.

The AK is a old weapon, there were lots of mags befor '94... But for the .223 i recomend the AR mag adapter, pre ban AR mags are easy to get.

The burden of guilt is on them, and the burden of legal costs is on you.

Just get 10 rounders man. Not worth it to play pre-ban court games.

I live in upstate NY too. Weiger mags are some great mags and I use them in my Converted Saiga. East Germany ceased to be a country in 1990, so anything made in east germany is pre-ban. Even in this crappy state they can't make a pre-ban magazine not so......unless they change the law.

Here is my Saiga with the German preban mags before I put on the Bulgarian threaded FSB and ak74 comp. I had to permanently attach the comp and grind of the bayonet lug and I followed the 922 compliance count .

post-13757-1235475181_thumb.jpg

post-13757-1235475197_thumb.jpg

I live in upstate NY too. Weiger mags are some great mags and I use them in my Converted Saiga. East Germany ceased to be a country in 1990, so anything made in east germany is pre-ban. Even in this crappy state they can't make a pre-ban magazine not so......unless they change the law.

Here is my Saiga with the German preban mags before I put on the Bulgarian threaded FSB and ak74 comp. I had to permanently attach the comp and grind of the bayonet lug and I followed the 922 compliance count .

COULD YOU TELL ME HOW YOU GOT YOUR SAIGA TOTALLY NY LEGEL/ DID YOU FIND OUT FROM SOME LAW ENFORCEMENT IN YOUR AREA??? PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SAIGA TO LOOK LIKE YOURS AND BE 100% LEGAL..... IS YOURS 100% LEGAL? HIT ME BACK. THANKS.....

COULD YOU TELL ME HOW YOU GOT YOUR SAIGA TOTALLY NY LEGEL/ DID YOU FIND OUT FROM SOME LAW ENFORCEMENT IN YOUR AREA??? PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SAIGA TO LOOK LIKE YOURS AND BE 100% LEGAL..... IS YOURS 100% LEGAL? HIT ME BACK. THANKS.....

Of course it's 100% legal, I wouldn't post it if it wasn't. You need to follow Federal law and NYS law with this conversion. Federal law you have to be 922r compliant and there are a ton of threads on this site and sticky posts , just do a search on them. And as for NYS, you have to use pre-ban mags if you want hi-caps. You'll have to permanently attach a comp of flash hider or whatever muzzle device you want to use because you can't have a threaded barrel or FSB unless it's on a pre-ban gun,plus grind off any bayonet lugs you get if you change out the front site base(FSB). As for stocks, if you want a telescoping or folding stock it will have to be pinned in the open position, again only pre-ban guns can have these features in NYS.

Sucks, I know.

Edited by gunguy98

In order to be "100% LEGAL" as you put it, your rifle must be compliant with the New York Assault Weapons Ban, which means no telescoping or folding stocks, sorry.

izhevsk-bros.jpg

I'm in NY and my rifle is legal because it has a FIXED STOCK, NO bayonet lug or flash hider. The magazines are pre-ban and I do not think I will have any problems using them.

You'll have to permanently attach a comp of flash hider or whatever muzzle device you want to use

Flash hiders are not legal, even when permanently attached (on post-bans). Brakes/compensators are fine, as long as they're permanently attached.

To the OP, check out the link in my sig line, for NYS ban info.

Edited by 22_Shooter
In order to be "100% LEGAL" as you put it, your rifle must be compliant with the New York Assault Weapons Ban, which means no telescoping or folding stocks, sorry.

izhevsk-bros.jpg

I'm in NY and my rifle is legal because it has a FIXED STOCK, NO bayonet lug or flash hider. The magazines are pre-ban and I do not think I will have any problems using them.

Not totally correct, you can have these stocks on your rifle as long as they are pinned open and not able to fold or collapse.In essence making them a fixed stock.

The TAPCO t6 stock telescopes AND has a pistol grip and thus it is ILLEGAL in NY. So are magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

What you can do is buy the t6 stock and pin it with a machine screw and bolt so it no longer telescopes.

Apparently if it doesn't move it doesnt count as a scary feature.

I've seen this done on NY legal AR15's - the FFL's say it's OK by NY - and a BATF agent agreed. (Just saw one of these at Herb's last week - gone in 2 days.)

I'm going to stop before I go on to a rant about how stupid the AWB is (the NY one is worded just like the old Federal ban - you know, the one that bastard AG wants to reinstate because he things banning Semi-automatics is going to prevent mexican drub lords from getting full-autos... Yes, we have that level of intelligence running our justice department.

Damn it - it still reads "shall not be infringed" - Scalia didn't go deep enough.

I'm going to stop before I go on to a rant about how stupid the AWB is (the NY one is worded just like the old Federal ban - you know, the one that bastard AG wants to reinstate because he things banning Semi-automatics is going to prevent mexican drub lords from getting full-autos... Yes, we have that level of intelligence running our justice department.

I see this arguement on many gun boards and it never ceases to piss me off. People, for some reason, think our politicians are stupid and actually believe the garbage they feed their constituents. Holder is not an idiot. He knows that the drug lords won't be affected by an AWB. He simply uses that as an excuse to gain support for his bill that has other intentions. Politicians do this all the time, they are not stupid.

• 2 years later...

dang it I just bought a Saiga 7.62 and the Syracuse gun show ( $415 ) and ordered the tapco t6 stock and grip set.....I'll screw the stock open like a previous post mentioned but I wish I had seen that before I bought the stuff. I carefully read the 922r stuff and assumed wrongly that's all I needed to do.............also my buddy bought an SKS and the ati stock set that has a folding stock feature, would it be safe to assume that if he doesnt changed the orig mag system his gun doesnt fall under the ban as his gun has that built in mag ?

• 2 weeks later...

I live in CNY and have a converted Saiga .223. I had a pinned tapco telescoping stock on it for a while with no trouble from the local fuzz. Just drill a hole in and put a screw/bolt and nut on the other side if you wanna do it the easy way. I have since switch to the Ace as that suits my needs better. I use preban steel Galil mags, and they are date stamped with the month and year of production. None are older than 83. I got them at the gun show last month. The last ones I got at the gun show (also Galil steel) don't have that so I leave them at home even though they were advertised as preban.

One of my friends got hassled for his PSL the other day by a DEC officer when he went out shooting on some state land that is typically used by shot gunners and guy who don't want to bother with the other people at the range. It was like the guy was quoting everything off the AWB and 922r without even inspecting the rifle. I haven't even seen PSL mags that are over 10 rounds online yet alone in person. The guy was trying to say it had an illegal high capacity mag, too many foreign parts and was an assault rifle. It was bought from a Herb Phillipsons, which is chain of stores operating only in NY for crying out loud. Them selling guns that aren't legal would be really dumb for business. That would mean no repeat business due to everyone spending a few years in camp fed or the state spa.