Red Dots for Saiga .410 HD

So, I finally have my Saiga .410 into HD configuration (collapsible stock, tromix shark brake, chaos piston, 15-round mags) including a rail mounted onto the sideplate (the kind that arches over the top for optics). My question:

What red dot should I be looking at for home-defense (HD) work at inside the house distances?

A few candidates:

Option # 1 Pentax

Option # 2 BSA combo w/ light & laser

Option # 3 Barska

Option # 4 ATN

Option # 5 Yukon Reflex

Option # 6 EO-Tech 512

Or should I just put a weapon-light on that rail and figure that if the beam is on target the buckshot will do the job?

Personally I am a huge fan of the Ultradot Pana-V. A red dot can have deviation at longish range shots. In 2 red dot reviews I have read, the ultadot was picked as the highest quality for the bucks.

I have one on my S-410 HD shotty.

It is a much easier acquisition in my opinion, and considering the gun is for HD and my wife my need to use it, I wanted her to feel confident with the sight system as well.

The only draw back with reflex style red dots is that they are a bit more vulnerable then tunnel (think eo-tech) styles. They just don't have the armor. But I think its the best red dot out there, and I took it over the eo-tech even though with this particular weapon I chose to not put it on a budget.

But then again, if you get 5 people in a room and ask them the question, you'll probably hear about 5 different opinions on what the best red dot is.

~Clayton

• 1 year later...

jumm-

I got a UTG 978 from Greg at CSS. It is "very solid" and the quik-release works well, returning the correct position (zero right-on) after several on-off tricks by me. Photo below.

11103.jpg

Edited by Mayor Al

Or should I just put a weapon-light on that rail and figure that if the beam is on target the buckshot will do the job?

^^^ this. I have my 410 for home defense too. The way I see it, I don't risk overpenetration with the 410, but I can have up to 15 rounds ready -- what I lack in single-shot stopping power, I can compensate by overwhelming, if need be. I can even set up the magazine to alternate buckshot and slugs and still have quite a few of each.

As far as quick target aquisition goes, maybe go with the light if you anticipate shooting in the dark (the thing I don't like about lights is that they telegraph your position). Other than that, go do some skeet and trap and get used to placing shots without dots, etc. You'll be a better shooter in a quick-fire, short range situation for it. Gotta practice, though.

Anyway, the layout of your home probably factors into it, too. I don't have any rooms wider than 15' or so, and access to the second and third floors comes only through narrow stairs and corridors. I have some choke points to work with.

Last thought: after putting a couple hundred rounds through the factory 4-round 3" and 2.5" and two 10-round surefires, I have yet to experience a failure to feed with the factory mags. The surefires, however, have issues from time to time. I intend to get a hold of a couple factory 10 rounders when I can swing it.

Edited by Koljec

If you can afford the EOTech, then you should write the others off your list. You said this is for home defense after all; that is, your life will depend on it. So, if you can avoid it, don't buy inferior optics.

Personally, I think Aimpoints are perfect for AKs. The EOTech is too high, and too heavy, in my view. Also, you can leave the Aimpoint on all the time and not have to worry about turning it on when something goes bump in the night. Consider a Comp C3 (at just less than $400) combined possibly with the new low side mount that is coming out next month. (Or you could just put it on a BP-02 or KV-04S. I'd say Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak, but I don't think they make the Ultimak for the 410 Saiga?

Jumm,

No tricks. I tightened the sight to the 978 mount with the screws supplied. The quik-release lever seems to lock in the right place when I remove the mount (with sight attached) then replace it, being sure to move it ALL THE WAY onto the side-plate. I have taken it off 5 or 6 times, and checked it twice using a laser boresight lined up with the image in the sight-glass.

Considering the damn boresight cost more than the sight did, I guess I am fairly certain it works. Closest real fire I've done is water-jugs at 40 yards with slugs.. Hit on the first try each time.

Edited by Mayor Al
  • 7 months later...

its a shotgun. shoot it until you can point shoot it and hit the target every time. hd isn't a tactical scenario. its an "oh shit, BOOM!" scenario. if you think your going to have the time to aim through a red dot and line up your shot then good luck with that. if you want a quality optic then i think the top brands are pretty well known but then so are their prices. i have the same rail for my .410 and there is a light on the side and a centerpoint red dot on top. the combo works well and doesn't add too much weight. but the rail comes off at night and gets tossed into the drawer.

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

Edited by for2nato

^^^ this. I have my 410 for home defense too. The way I see it, I don't risk overpenetration with the 410, but I can have up to 15 rounds ready -- what I lack in single-shot stopping power, I can compensate by overwhelming, if need be. I can even set up the magazine to alternate buckshot and slugs and still have quite a few of each.

Dude, please rethink this. For one thing, if three people invade your home, you're going to be spending too much time shooting multiple rounds at them.

And the ballistics is not the only angle you should be thinking about.

If you use lethal force, even in your own home - there is a chance you could end up in front of a jury. You don't want an anti-gun prosecutor holding up your evil looking Saiga with shark brakes and whatever and telling the jury about how you dumped 5 rounds into each of 3 intruders. It make you look like you were waiting for a chance to kill people. It makes it look less like defense, and more like offense.

Get yourself a 12ga, and put em down with one shot.

I know its stupid, but thats the way a lot of prosecutors and juries are.. if you live in a state with strong Castle Law, and case law that protects home owners - have at it. But please do yourself a favor and research that.

It makes me very sad to see good people get screwed over by dumb laws and juries.

OK - enough of that.

As for the red dot, I use Leatherwood tube dots. They are well built, have excellent glass, and are inexpensive for the quality. Let me warn you that they are tinted glass. I prefer this, but some don't like it I guess.