First trip to the range

Put 40 rounds through my saiga .308 hunter this morning. I was very impressed (and surprised) at the accuracy of this rifle. At 50 yds it was putting 10 shots inside an inch easily. The only problem I had was that it would eject cases sharply at 2 o'clock out to about 5-8ft in front of me. This is bad if you are at a closed range and are planning on reloading. Is there anything that can be done to get it to eject cases at 3-5 o'clock? Either way I am very happy with results thus far. It is competing with my AR's in terms of accuracy. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I kind of like that the casings shoot out that way. At least, it's easier on the guy to my right who isn't getting pummeled with hot brass. ;)

Are all ranges like that where you are from? Mine lets me go basically anywhere during a cease fire interval.

The two ranges I go to the most have the "no enter zone". I guess I will have to go to the one in Blanco that allows us to walk out during cease fires. I wish I had about 100 acres somewhere. Thanks

Put 40 rounds through my saiga .308 hunter this morning. I was very impressed (and surprised) at the accuracy of this rifle. At 50 yds it was putting 10 shots inside an inch easily. The only problem I had was that it would eject cases sharply at 2 o'clock out to about 5-8ft in front of me. This is bad if you are at a closed range and are planning on reloading. Is there anything that can be done to get it to eject cases at 3-5 o'clock? Either way I am very happy with results thus far. It is competing with my AR's in terms of accuracy. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How the hell are you doing within an inch at 50 yards? Is it bolted into a rest? What's the ammo your using (brand, grain, everything)? What mods did you add to it? What scope are you using and what mount is it sitting on?

How the hell are you doing within an inch at 50 yards? Is it bolted into a rest? What's the ammo your using (brand, grain, everything)? What mods did you add to it? What scope are you using and what mount is it sitting on?

I'm using a catseye 4x12x50 sitting on the siderail mount....no mods whatsoever. I rested the front of the rifle on the front of a rest and I held the butt. I was using Remington .308 150gr. It may not have been an inch maybe more like 1.5". Once it was sighted in, it shot terrific. I was very surprised myself. The right lower bullseye "x" which was about 1/2" wide max dissapeared with one shot. After about 25 rounds my scope came loose. It did still manage to touch two bullet holes on a few other times with open sights. I am hopeful that 1" to 1.5" will be the norm for this rifle at 100yds. I am looking for 1" or better with reloads. Next trip will be to a range that will allow me to take the target home and I can get some pics. This is only 50yds. My brothers saiga 7.62x39 can do 2-2.5" groups all day long at 50. Take it to 100 and groups open up to 3-4" using the cheapest ammo money can buy.

2" groups are very realistic with the 308-1 "Hunter". I have one with wooden furniture and about my only complaint is that the forearm stock will have it's set screw back out half a turn after a busy day at the range. :D But what you have there is a fine, working machine once you get your sight issues worked out. I handload my own with Sierra soft point spires @ 165gr. mainly now. Seems to be the sweet spot for accuracy down range and energy retention for great terminal ballistics.

User her proudly!

unfortunately.... the saiga's give all the spent cases the "ak kiss"

People say it really doesn't hurt the cases for reloading, but I will not shoot my good brass cases out of mine... I bought a bunch of Wolf steel cased ammo just for the Saiga..... the real brass I only use in my bolt .308's......