SKS

Guest Guest_Saigaman7.62

Guest Guest_Saigaman7.62

Just wanted to know where the best place to get a couple of good SKS with Baynot. (one for myself and the wife) :smoke: Im going to shoot it and I want the barrel not to have any errosion, but the stock can look ugly I can work on them.

Just wanted to know where the best place to get a couple of good SKS with Baynot. (one for myself and the wife) :smoke: Im going to shoot it and I want the barrel not to have any errosion, but the stock can look ugly I can work on them.

They seem to be around lots of places, maybe not in the numbers you once saw, but common at gun shows, gun shops, and pawn shops.

the Yugo 59/66 SKS is a very nice current import that ispriced nicely.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Most Chinese varients were chromelined and thus have excellent bores, even if they were abused and not cleaned after firing corrosive ammo. So they should be an excellent option if you get stuck on choices.

As for current supply, go with the Yugo like lollygagger mentioned.

Yugo's are plentifull and cheap-$129.00 is about the going rate. They are in excellent shape for the most part and at that price should have excellent bores. The Yugo's are not chrome lined, but are solidly built, they are a bit heavier than other types, and come with flip-up night sights (the 'glow' is mostly gone, but the white color is still very helpfull). The gernade launcher on them can be replaced with a muzzle break without much trouble/expense.

G O B.

Russians are nice, but not really worth the price due to the collector appeal. I own a no-name Chinese SKS (has CGA on the receiver, not a Norinco), and it's wonderful. I'll eventually get a SKS-D or M to add to the collection. Got a soft spot for the SKS, I just hate the fixed mags.

I have a Norinko chinese SKS and like it alot. I don't think there are any bad SKS's out there, only ones in ned of a home and maybe a little gunsmithing. For the most part( and that is alot because the SKS is the most imported firearm in the USA) they are all good shooters.

The fixed mags are the best option for these rifles. Use stripper clips to load them and all will be well in your life. You can also carry more useful ammo on stripper clips than in mags( 200rds per bandolier on strippers vs. 3 or 6 20rd mags in pouches, you do the math.)

Gunshows are a sure bet on finding an SKS. Also try the thrifty nickle or American Classifieds, and Friends and shooting ranges and the internet auctions like http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

Good luck!

The Chinese SKS, the Russian SKS, the Albanian SKS, the Romanian SKS all have chrome lined bores. The Yugo 59/66 and the Yugo M59 are not chrome lined there for will not take the abuse with constantly using corrosive surplus ammo that the others will without the heavy cleaning after each use. If you search the small gun shops and pawn shops you may find some of these better sks's priced reasonable. I have seen Russian refurb sks's unshot still in the box new for $250 at gun shows. I have also seen Chinese Norinco sks's still in new condition selling for between $150 to $225 in pawn shops and gun shows. The many Chinese sks's I have seen seem to have been closet queens and not fully cleaned of all the cosmoline yet too. I did find a chinese sks that was not functioning because of the cosmoline left in the gas system stuck the piston after firing. After a good cleaning the sks turned out to be like new. Lets face it your not going to hurt an sks that easy. I would surely look for two chinese sks's if i were you. UKP

I love my yugo 59/66, got it from southern ohio guns for 150.00 shipped. It was one of the "unissued" models with accessories and log book.

After cleaning the cosmo, I found a really nice gun in there. Bore is shiney, blueing is in great shape, wood had a few storage marks. So far has shot great.

If you are one to clean your guns well, then the lack of chrome shouldnt be a problem, plus it doesnt heat up as fast =)

yugoClean2.jpg

:smoke: OK I found one the problem is someone put a 30 round clip on it. It is a Chinese Norinco has small flakes of rust stock looks great. What I think might have happen knowing the guy a little, he just left it rusting but the stock looks ok and it has hardley been shot, the chrome barrel look so nice and clean with the rifleling still there. I would like the original mag but I guess I will have to get another one. Second one I would like to have is another Chinese SKS or a Yugo only if I could get a novilty gernade and round to shoot with it (make a flower nade). :devil:

SKIP All the rest....

GO HERE...

www.classicarms.us

or call him at

1-704-684-0650

he has *THE* BEST prices on SKS's

CHEAP shipping... and INSTANT service... most orders ship SAME DAY!

SKS's start at $119.00 for GOOD shooter grade, to UNISSUED EXCELLENT grade at $139.00

CHECK HIM OUT... you WONT be sorry!!!

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...
Russians are nice, but not really worth the price due to the collector appeal.  I own a no-name Chinese SKS (has CGA on the receiver, not a Norinco), and it's wonderful.  I'll eventually get a SKS-D or M to add to the collection.  Got a soft spot for the SKS, I just hate the fixed mags.

Got mine for $200 in 7/04

post-8-1108870166.jpg

Edited by BlenderWizard

Grabbed a very nice Yugo at todays gunshow (marlboro equestrian center PG Co MD) for $100 wood fair to good, blue 99% or better, bore xcellent!

Yugo's will take the M14 gernade launcher, and you can shoot tennis balls with it! (use blanks ONLY) I may have to get one just to drive the dog nuts!

G O B

I have the grenade launchers IN STOCK... I have FIVE (5) available for sale!!!

( I had 6... I am EDITING THIS POST TO REFLECT STOCK... when its gone, this post will say so!)

If you are interested, EMAIL ME please...

Mikeindy@adelphia.net

The price will be $10.00 SHIPPED (EACH) ... UPS preferred, but I will do USPS..

I take paypal thru the same address as above. If you want to send a money order or CC , EMAIL me for address...

Thanks!!!

gl1.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

LOL!!! NOPE.... we can sail in that SAME BOAT BLANKLESS together...

LOL

I am going to try cheaperthandirt, and sportsmansguide... but I doubt they will have any...

7.62X39 blanks might be the tough one to get... maybe not... dunno....

BTW: I have personally seen two Yugo M59/66 SKS's from SamcoGlobal.com in recent weeks at the range. One was "special select" another "Unissued". Both looked brand spanking new, with all matching numbers, bayonet, etc..

I'm going to be heading down there ( local to south florida ) to check out their Persian and Swedish mausers..