I may be missing something here, but...

I may be missing something, and don't mean to freak folks out, but why do a conversion? My rifles are 922r compliant, I enjoy shooting them as they are, so what are the benefits of conversion? I really want to know cause I don't want to miss out on something really enjoyable ( althougth the process itself looks fun.

Thanks for helping me understand!

I may be missing something, and don't mean to freak folks out, but why do a conversion? My rifles are 922r compliant, I enjoy shooting them as they are, so what are the benefits of conversion? I really want to know cause I don't want to miss out on something really enjoyable ( althougth the process itself looks fun.

Thanks for helping me understand!

They look a hell of alot better looking and easier handling. I for one love the pistol grip over the factory stock.

I do not have one of those. I did the full conversion with almost all tromix parts. I still like the "regular" AK look. Something about the stock you have just doesn't look right, at least to me.

You also get a sense of accomplishment doing a conversion yourself. Plus it gave me a reason to have it sent out for duracoat.

Viper, I installed a tapco col. stock and a pistol grip and this is pretty nice, does the conversion handle better than this?

Assuming you mean the "no-mods" Tapco offering, it'll handle quite a bit better after a conversion.

Your rifle is currently way out of balance, and the ergos are off. . .

+1!

Those shortcut stock / PG combos don't hold a candle to the way a real AK feels in your hands.

Reasons to convert (you heathens...lol):

1. Because it's only right to put the gun back into it's intended, Kalashnikov designed state.

2. It's fun

3. It will make it handle better and look a hell of a lot better.

4. Because you can....if you hurry!

Viper, I installed a tapco col. stock and a pistol grip and this is pretty nice, does the conversion handle better than this?

Based on this information, it is doubtful that your firearm is still 922® compliant as you believe...

Azrial, I forgot to mention that I am using Surefire magazines which count for three parts. But Y'all have told me what I wanted to know. I'm not displeased with the factory trigger and the balance feels alright, plus I have handled many AK's, but if the aftermarket trigger is that much better, then I'll probably do a conversion on my x39.

I do like the six position stock though, it allows myself and my wife to use the same rifle comfortably, what is the most balanced feeling stock?

What's the average cost for parts for a conversionand does anyone offer a "conversion kit" , and lastly, who makes the best trigger?

Thanks to all who've taken the time to respond, I appreciate all of the collective knoledge and the willingness to share with other forum members!

Azrial, I forgot to mention that I am using Surefire magazines which count for three parts. But Y'all have told me what I wanted to know. I'm not displeased with the factory trigger and the balance feels alright, plus I have handled many AK's, but if the aftermarket trigger is that much better, then I'll probably do a conversion on my x39.

I do like the six position stock though, it allows myself and my wife to use the same rifle comfortably, what is the most balanced feeling stock?

What's the average cost for parts for a conversionand does anyone offer a "conversion kit" , and lastly, who makes the best trigger?

Thanks to all who've taken the time to respond, I appreciate all of the collective knoledge and the willingness to share with other forum members!

You can continue using the 6 position stock after a conversion. I've not seen one of the "Tapco all-in-one stocks", so can't tell you if the pistol grip can be reused after the conversion.

I've taken a liking to the Texas AK Triggers. I find them much nicer than any other in their price range.

Guys, for now I'd like to keep my rifle in the non-converted form. Will the fire control group that Dinzag sells for the non-converted (FCG not moved) rifles improve the trigger pull as compared to the stock trigger? I believe they are the only ones selling this option. Does anyone have experience with this TAPCO fire control group? Lastly, how many 922r compliant parts would this FCG add?

Guys, for now I'd like to keep my rifle in the non-converted form. Will the fire control group that Dinzag sells for the non-converted (FCG not moved) rifles improve the trigger pull as compared to the stock trigger? I believe they are the only ones selling this option. Does anyone have experience with this TAPCO fire control group? Lastly, how many 922r compliant parts would this FCG add?

No, because you still have the Rube Goldberg linkage.

Dinzag's parts for non-modified Saiga are to help your 922r parts count.

You can continue using the 6 position stock after a conversion. I've not seen one of the "Tapco all-in-one stocks", so can't tell you if the pistol grip can be reused after the conversion.

The stock will work, it's just a few inches longer than the standard T6 stock. The pistol grip can also be removed, and used in the standard position (with the proper pg nut and screw).

Edited by cma g21

I'd have to go on record to say the OEM trigger could be a hazard! If you do a conversion (I've done a number) you'll find out how hokey they are. A real liability. Like Nalioth said "Rube Goldberg linkage". I feel safer with the converted fire control group. (I won't file the side of the hammer to fit the bolt hold open link on a rifle I might sell for liability issues.) Do the damn conversion and enjoy the american dream for now.

Well, I can't stand it any longer, I'm gonna do it. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to Saiga's and conversions, not to firearms, been shootin and repairin since I was a youngun and thats been a few years ago! LOL, Ok, I can use the stock and PG that I have on the conversion, so does anyone sell everything in an all inclusive kit to do the conversion? (x39) 've read about Dinzag's drop in FCG's, and the Texas FCG's, and seen the video's. So what's gonna be the best way to go? As I've ststed in another post, I can't stand to see my rifle in an unnatural state any longer ... kinda like seeing a purebread stallion hobbled to a kids pony ride.

I am so ashamed!! Please help this pore ol' rifle find it's dignity again!

post-14474-1236479522_thumb.jpg

've read about Dinzag's drop in FCG's, and the Texas FCG's, and seen the video's. So what's gonna be the best way to go?

Dinzag's "drop in" FCGs are for unconverted Saigas (when you want to keep the Rube Goldberg linkage, but need some US parts)

Any US made Kalashnikov FCG is gonna be 'drop in' after you get all this Klinton Krap off of it.

saiga556_664.JPG

Thanks nalioth, don't need 922 parts, I'm compliant, just wanna do the rifle justice and return it to the quality rifle that it can be! So, what do I need besides the FCG , and is there a all inclusive kit for the parts? I'll prolly keep the Tapco stock and pistol grip...the stock makes it easier on my wife and she is the only one in the world that has my back, if you know what I mean. Thanks for your help and guidence, I recognize you to be a guru on this sight.

Thanks nalioth, don't need 922 parts, I'm compliant, just wanna do the rifle justice and return it to the quality rifle that it can be! So, what do I need besides the FCG , and is there a all inclusive kit for the parts? I'll prolly keep the Tapco stock and pistol grip...the stock makes it easier on my wife and she is the only one in the world that has my back, if you know what I mean. Thanks for your help and guidence, I recognize you to be a guru on this sight.

You should be able to take your existing stock apart and use it and the pistol grip.

You'll need a replacement FCG, anyway.

Since you already have the stock and pistol grip, a FCG, pistol grip nut (and screw*), and screw(s) and nut(s) to reattach the trigger guard should be all the parts you should need. *The SAW grip you have takes a shorter screw than a standard grip (you should be able to find one at a hardware store if you take the pistol grip nut in to check fit).

Dinzag sells both the FCG and nut. If you intend to retain the BHO, Dinzag's Saiga FCG's have been altered to work with the BHO and are polished (or you can do this yourself to standard AK FCG's). He also carries screws & nuts to reattach the trigger guard.

In addition to the standard G2 FCG features, The Saiga variation have the width of the hammer turned down to clear the bolt-hold-open lever. Parting lines are removed and they are refinished, then contacting surfaces are polished to improve trigger feel.
http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

I had heard that the Texas trigger was a real good one, then read that it had to be cut down somehow to fit into the Saiga rifle, anyone know the specifics on this, is this something a newbie could do or would one be better served buying one from Dinzag that will drop in. Don't need anymore challenges than I have to encounter.

Thanks

I had heard that the Texas trigger was a real good one, then read that it had to be cut down somehow to fit into the Saiga rifle, anyone know the specifics on this, is this something a newbie could do or would one be better served buying one from Dinzag that will drop in. Don't need anymore challenges than I have to encounter.

Thanks

Here is how it works:

If you have a Saiga, and DO NOT WANT to keep the bolt hold open, no mods are necessary to any fire control group.

If you have a Saiga, and WANT TO KEEP the bolt hold open, mods are necessary to ALL fire control groups.

The mod (if you desire to keep the BHO) is as simple as taking the original hammer out and making the new hammer pivot axis look just like it (very simple).

This has got nothing to do with Texas AK Triggers, Tapco, Red Star Arms, Century or any other maker of trigger groups here in the USA - if you want to keep the BHO, ALL of them must be modified. Aside from that requirement, the Texas Ak Triggers are the best, imho.

Personally, I don't think the BHO is necessary at all in a Saiga, so I leave mine out. For me, the fire control groups are literally 'drop in'.

Edited by nalioth

Once again I agree with Nalioth, I leave the BHO out. I keep the parts, but don't need the BHO feature. I don't even like the BHO feature of the Surefire mags but that's a different subject.

Uncle Jake, are you sure your compliant without changing the FCG? Are you counting on the mag? If so you are missing out on all the lower cost euro steel AK mags out there. Throw in a bullet guide from Dinzag, grind a bit of the mag latch and your all set (but don't forget the FCG mod!) You'll be happy you did, I know I am!

Edited by Fluid Power
Once again I agree with Nalioth, I leave the BHO out. I keep the parts, but don't need the BHO feature. I don't even like the BHO feature of the Surefire mags but that's a different subject.

Uncle Jake, are you sure your compliant without changing the FCG? Are you counting on the mag? If so you are missing out on all the lower cost euro steel AK mags out there. Throw in a bullet guide from Dinzag, grind a bit of the mag latch and your all set (but don't forget the FCG mod!) You'll be happy you did, I know I am!

Yep, I'm counting the parts of the mag, I have two surefires and at the moment, but I know I will definitely install the bullet guide after the FCG..as you say why not convert it to use cheap mil-surp mags...I'll be keeping the rifle for my own use, so no need in worrying about irreversable modifications to the rifle!

Alright, I've done it, I've ordered the trigger guard kit, and the bullet guide kit from Dinzag, and will get a money order for the Texas trigger group tomorrow after work. I want to thank everyone for their input, especially nalioth for his patience and answering ALL those questions for me..When I have this kind of money tied up in something, I tend to be a little cautious about doing any mods to it, but I know that I can with your help, plus I started out with Saigas because I was wanting an AK..now I'll have one of the Russian AKs that I converted myself. I'll eventually do one on my 223, and my 308, but looks like the x39 will be first.

Thanks again all.

Edited by unclejake
  • 2 weeks later...

Still waitin for the fcg from Texas AK triggers, and the conversion kit plus the bullet guide from Dinzag...you'd think he had had a baby or somthing..SHEESH!! LOL, JUST KIDDING! Wishing him and his all the best!

I am about to piss my britches waiting on my parts!! LOL

Just checked out your personal photo gothchick......how do ya see what you're typing? !!

Edited by unclejake