Canted Front Sight !!

My sight picture never really looked right to me and tonight it occured to me, my front sight is canted to one side slightly. Is there anyway to easily straighten it or do I need to punch out the pins, move the sight, and have it tack-welded in place?

If I do have to pull the pins, should I have the front sight pulled and pressed back on, maybe replaced with a different front sight, or barrel end threaded. Anything I should do since I'm in the area and messing with the sight?

Does the rifle hit point of aim?

If so, you have no issues. All Kalashnikovs have "cant' issues somewhere to soee extent.

The problem with "cant" is when it actually prevents the operation of the weapon.

...Anything I should do since I'm in the area and messing with the sight?

If you have the ability to press off the FSB and press one on easily then why not just press off the stock one and press on a proper sight:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=290&page=1

The notches in the barrel for the pins would still be off though.

As others have said, if its only canted a little(can still adjust the front sight post so you hit at point of aim) then ignore all this.

Else

once you press the FSB back on, line it up best you can(can use a level on the rear sight leaf then the two ears of the new FSB), fill up the "holes"(holes through the FSB and notches in the barrel shouldnt line up now that you "straightened" the FSB) with silver brazing.

Redrill the hole to the original diameter and you can use the original pins. My 2c but I prefer that to drilling larger holes.

Well, I can't return it to RAA because I bought it like-new, but used none the less. I've also done the full conversion on it so...too late to return it.

I did have a Hesse converted Saiga at one time that had the front sight block tack welded so, if mine is too far off, may go that route. Push out the pins, straightened the sight, tack it down and cover with some cold blue

I wonder if yours had those awful dimples that make indexing the front sight a pain in the butt?

I would cut that sucker off and stick an AK74 front sight on there

vice

bubble level

boresighter

AK sight tool

those items will allow you to install a front sight with absolute precision.I did that with my S308 and literally was within an inch of POI on the first shot.

• 1 month later...

I'd just pick a drill bit size, drill your pilot holes (using a drill press to get nice clean holes), then buy a couple extra drill bits in one size larger. Grind or dremel them to the correct length (on the shank end) and hammer them in with a brass punch. Viola...

Home Depot or Lowes (or any other hardware store should have everything you need)

Edited by gothchick
I cheated. I dragged my Saiga to my local gunsmith, had him pull the pins, move the sight, redrill and repin and thread the barrel while was at it. Cost all of $45.

Not a bad price at all to have it done right. I assume you made damn sure the sight was in the exact position you wanted it before he re-pinned it, right? :D

Also, keep in mind that now you will probably need to adjust the windage on your front sight some.. assuming it was dialed in to the previous slightly canted position.

Yes, but just what the hell sized drill stock is I have no idea. Yeah, I know. Would this do the trick? Doesn't seem pricey.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=754465

Drill stock is just a plain thin rod that is semi-hardened for tool makers. It looks like your cleaning rod with the ends cut off. It comes in most small drill bit sizes. It's about $4.00 for a 3' lenght. (seemed logical to me, not funny) I keep the hair smaller drill bit I use taped to It.

Edited by whitetrashrn

Hey Post...actually, the gunsmith did a rough bore-sighting at aprox 25 yards in his shop which is partly office, mostly warehouse/shop.

I left it up to him to set the sight in the right place and give me a decent place to start for sighting the gun.

I trust him, he's done lots and lots of conversions, many custom builds, he's pretty well respected in the area for his AK work.