My SBR quandary  

14 members have voted

1. 1. So what should I do with this M92 pistol and AKS-74U stock?

• Sell the M92 and get an appropriate AK47 pistol or kit
    • Sell the AKS-74U stock and install an ACE or similar stock
    • Try to find a brave custom gunsmith willing attempt putting the AKS-74U stock on the M92
    • Sell em both and find a finished 7.62x39 SBR

Long story short, I bought an M92 pistol with the intent to have it built into an SBR by Will at Red Jacket. I was intending to use the AKS-74U triangular stock to get a unique kind of AKS-47U. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail from Will the other day saying that the stock is incompatible with the M92 reciever. He said "The front trunnion is different enough that it would require breaking it down and milling out the bottom." I havn't yet had a chance to speak with him on the phone, so I don't have many details. I'm going to call him on Monday and see what can be done. I also have not yet mailed the Form 1 so selling the M92 pistol is still an option. So what would you do in this situation? :unsure:

Hmm, if you really want to keep the M92, then keep it as is, but if I had the option, I would sell both and find a nicely done saiga SBR, some vendors here have some wicked looking SBR's....good luck, keep us posted with pics whichever way you go man.

I have seen M92 ( pictures) with folding triangular stocks. Perhaps there are other options.

My M92 pistol I had built useing the original trunnion but no holes in the receiver for the stock. I left my options open in case my state ever allows SBR's.

Using that stock would require swapping the rear trunnion and modifying the receiver for the release button, right? I would probably buy an M92 kit and a nodak spud receiver to be built or just get an Arsenal 107ur and swap the stock.

Well, just got off the phone with Will. Real helpful guy, BTW. He says that installing the AKS74U stock as I originally intended would require completely tearing down the gun, pressing off the barrel and removing the trunnion in order to mill out the catch (if I got all that right). Of course that will be prohibitively expensive for me, nearly doubling the cost of the weapon. I really don't wanna put an ACE folder on there either, just seems like a travesty somehow. I was originally wanting something other than the standard underfolder since I've already got a AKM underfolder. But Will's got me mostly convinced to put an underfolder on there for authenticity's sake. Man's got a point, that is whats supposed to be there. Like everyone else, I just wanted something different.

I didn't even give it as a choice in the poll but its looking like it'll get the underfolder.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried mating a wooden stock to an ACE folding mechanism? Too fugly?

Well, I was looking around for some kind of 7.62 Krinkov pistol or Krinkov parts set and I can't seem to find a damn thing. I'm finding alot more 5.45 Krink kits than anything else (also sold out), but I know there are 7.62 kits out there. Are these things really that rare or is this more of the Post-election panic buyout? Other than K-Var, where is the best place to look for parts kits?

Ive seen quite a few M92 kits over the past several months at ar15 equipment exchange.

Yeah, I'm finding tons of M92 kits, what I'm looking for is a 7.62x39 Krinkov kit (NOT an M92 Yugo. There is a difference, as I've recently learned). I know they exist. I've seen pics of what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find any.

Ive seen quite a few M92 kits over the past several months at ar15 equipment exchange.

Yeah, I'm finding tons of M92 kits, what I'm looking for is a 7.62x39 Krinkov kit (NOT an M92 Yugo. There is a difference, as I've recently learned). I know they exist. I've seen pics of what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find any.

Those are hard to find. When you do it will cost you some.