want to replace rear sight

Make sure the receiver is stable (clamped into a vise would be best) because you're going to need both hands. Flip the sight until it is perpendicular to the receiver. You should be able to see a part of the leaf spring that keeps tension on the sight. Use a big screwdriver to push down on that leaf spring while pushing the sight down and into the grooves that will allow the sight to come out.

Make sure the receiver is stable (clamped into a vise would be best) because you're going to need both hands. Flip the sight until it is perpendicular to the receiver. You should be able to see a part of the leaf spring that keeps tension on the sight. Use a big screwdriver to push down on that leaf spring while pushing the sight down and into the grooves that will allow the sight to come out.

tried that guess i just need to try harder thanks

I bolt the rifle into my drill press and use a reversed drill bit (so the blunt end hits the spring) in the chuck to press down the spring.

there...that just justified going out to buy a drill press in my book.....GREAT idea

of course i want a drill press for several other things as well, but that is the icing on the cake!

To reduce the chance of slipping & scratching your rifle, you can wrap the end of the screwdriver in duct tape or electrical tape.

There's also this thing called a "Campy Tool" that makes it really easy. I'm not sure if it fits Saigas, anyone know?

To reduce the chance of slipping & scratching your rifle, you can wrap the end of the screwdriver in duct tape or electrical tape.

There's also this thing called a "Campy Tool" that makes it really easy. I'm not sure if it fits Saigas, anyone know?

If it works on AKs, it'll work on the Saiga. The rear sight is the same, except for the markings.

I've never heard of a "Campy Tool". Got a link?

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?c1.htm&1

I never used one but I read on another forum somewhere that they dont work and you wind up scratching the crap out of the sight block. IMHO the drill press may take a little longer than pushing with a screwdriver but less chance of buggering anything up. Way easier to put them back in.. My .02.

The link is over to the right on the site..

Edited by whitetrashrn