Requesting Asistance

Hello,

Newb here, I just got back from putting 60 RDS through my new Saiga 12.

Not one shell fully ejected from the receiver.

They would hang up inside and I would have to pull the bolt back myself to eject them, sometimes with a lot of effort.

I tried #1 gas pos and # 2 gas pos with no help.

I was shpooting Fiocchi 2 3/4 inch 9 pellet buck rated at 1325 fps.

Is it my choice of ammo?

Does it need a gas port Mod?

Exchange it for a new one? (if they do)

I apptreciate your input.

Remove the gas selector plug and check the # of ports and if they are blocked with a paperclip.

Did you Clean the weapon befor bringing it out the first time? its a good thing to do...

The fact that you had to pull so hard probably means the bolt is hanging up somewhere in the action. Polishing can help this greatly. Also some guns due to machining variances like to be turned a full turn out. Tighten the gas plug all the way down and run it a full turn out and then to the #2 setting if this requires another 1/2 turn.

Hello,

I cleaned the 12 when I got it home after I bought it, in depth cleaning to ensure any corrosion preventative material was removed prior to using the shotgun.

Oiled it a itty bit.

I talked to the place I bought it at, and they said to bring it to their gunsmith. The guy said he has one and has never had a problem. He shoots the same ammo.

I broke the 12 down, checked for "new" bare metal areas, nothing caught my eye.

Ran the bolt back and forth by itself on the rails. The rails are rough where the frame of the receiver attaches to the chamber/barrel. I don't think it would be enough to cause 0 ejections.

Added the bolt support to the bolt and ran it back and forth, did not notice anything new to the "action".

Installed spring and cover, operated several times again, tight but operational. I also loaded a spent shell and it would eject everytime I manualy operated the action.

Removed the gas selector plug, checked out the ports and found two ports although not perfectly aligned with the opening of the gas chamber.

Inspected the gas plug and noted that;

The plug is beveled/angled for gas venting.

When plug all the way down and in pos 1, the bevel/angle does not appear like it would be positioned over the ports.

Pos 2 does allow for the angle to be over the ports.

Should the plug be all the way down and then adjust it out?

Should the plug be screwed in until the spring loaded catch engages and then adjusted down to acceptable operation?

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you informed. I paid hard earned cask for this so their gunsmith is going to have to look at it.

Be sure the carrier is pressed down and riding in the rails correctly. Otherwise, it would grind pretty badly. I suspect you've already checked that however. Still, I thought I'd mention it, just in case. Also, take the carrier out and run a Q-tip along the undersides of your rails. I did that and found an area that had a pretty nasty nick in it that caused my carrier to hang up a little bit. A little touch up with a file and it was fine.

It sounds like you haven't converted the Saiga yet. If that's the case, you could always just get in touch with Cadiz Gun Works for warranty work and they'd get it working properly.

Finally...

I was having a little issue with my gun not running #8 birdshot, although it did when I first got it. Bvamp posted this and having adjusted my gas plug, it runs fine now:

The correct gas setting "2" is when your gas plug is screwed all the way in, and backed out to set to "1" and THEN you crank it out once more to the next setting "2". If your plug seats fully on setting "2" back it out one complete turn before considering that your gun has a problem. I did catch one gun this week that this was the issue with. "2" is NOT supposed to be threaded totally into your gun's gas block. DO NOT unscrew your plug if you have cycling problems, to 3 or 4 turns out, however, as this may damage your gun.

I hope this helps

Corbin

If you have a 2 holer then do like said above screw out the gas plug another full turn or two. Your gas vents may be so far back that the gas plug is blocking them when screwed in to the usual position. If that does not work or you want it vented properly shoot an email to Cadiz Gun Works to get it fixed under warranty.

So I went out again Sunday and had the same results, no ejections.

I broke the 12 down, checked for "new" bare metal areas, nothing caught my eye as out of place.

Ran the bolt back and forth by itself on the rails. The rails are a little misaligned where the frame of the receiver attaches to the chamber/barrel. I don't think it would be enough to cause 0 ejections.

Added the bolt support to the bolt and ran it back and forth, did not notice anything new to the "action".

Installed spring and cover, operated several times again, spring is tight but operational. I also loaded a spent shell and it would eject every time I manually operated the action.

Removed the gas selector plug, checked out the ports and found two ports although not perfectly aligned with the opening of the gas chamber. But clear enough for a paper clip to be inserted through both the holes.

Can these holes be pointing in the wrong direction?

When I would insert the paper clip ends, they would only go in if I angled them outward, towards the end of the barrel. Gas plug // floating piston.

I would think they would be angled \\ so that the gas would be picked up as it expanded.

Inspected the gas plug and noted that;

The plug is beveled/angled for gas venting.

When plug all the way down and in pos 1, the bevel/angle does not appear like it would be positioned over the ports, but the round side of the plug might be obstructing the ports a bit.

Pos 2 does allow for the bevel/angle to be over the ports.

Using a 100ths scale, I measured the length of the plug.

The length of the lower section of the plug, from the lip, that is inserted inside is about .65 100ths.

The depth from the edge of the cavity to the floating piston is about .75 100ths.

Are there other issues I need to be aware of?

Are there any suggestions for me?

The place I got it from does not back the products they sell.

They will not exchange it for another one.

They will not do warranty work on it.

They did say they would send it back to Russia to be fixed (fat chance, I'd probably have to pay the shipping.)

So now I looking into sending it to Cadiz.

Can anyone say how long it would take for them to fix it?

Of course if it's there I may as well have them "sweeten it up" for me.

Thanks

I would give them a call to see how busy they are, but I would figure 3-4 weeks door to door with shipping time depending on where you are located. As I understand, they do warranty work on Mondays. I sent mine off on the 4th, it arrived on the 11th and I am hoping it got some more holes in it today! :unsure:
I would give them a call to see how busy they are, but I would figure 3-4 weeks door to door with shipping time depending on where you are located. As I understand, they do warranty work on Mondays. I sent mine off on the 4th, it arrived on the 11th and I am hoping it got some more holes in it today! :unsure:

Thank you much, good shooting when you get her back!!!