Chrono results

Sort of off topic. Funny I should see a post dealing with a Chrono. I was at the range today and a friend of mine set up his crono to test some of his reloads. Just for Shits and grins we ran my Romanian SAR1 with Wolf 7.62X39 through it. I was shooting Wolf 122gr HP and out of 10 rounds the average was just under 2300fps at the muzzle. I noticed in another post on this board that somebody hates Wolf. What's wrong with Wolf in .308. I haven't tried any as of I have been shooting mil surplus. Just interested.

Wolf haters tend to be AR lovers. Seems their wussy little girlie guns don't like the older wolf with the laquer finish. Even though wolf now uses a polimer coat that is wuss-gun friendly, in every article about a new AR they just have to shoot some of the old wolf and jam-up the jam*O*matic.! I don't own any AR's , and I have never had a mis-fire or FTF with wolf!

G O B

I'm not going to criticize ARs but I DO like how reliable the .308 Saiga I have is. Three times to the range and not even a hint of a problem, it just hammers the rounds out. It seems quite accurate although being certain of that will take time, the Bushnell I got for it broke and is going back to Midway. An incredible bargain at $285. It would be a fine deal at twice the price. Don

I like wolf, too bad its not all that accurate and consistent. Works good for bigger targets and plinking, but its no varmint round.

Oh yeah, I am one of those wussy girlie gun owners. :haha: It did FTE in one of my ARs but the extractor spring was weak, easy fix, works great now. I remember hearing over and over how "wolf will blow up your gun" which is just so much BS. I have had a little trouble with FTE in a Helwan 9mm, but it has worked in everything else I have.

This is strange to hear. I mean about wolf ammo being inconsistent. All of it that I've shot has been very good to me. So far I've only used the 7.62x39 (122 grain HP) and 5.45x39 (60 grain FMJ), and both have proven consistent so far. Granted, I haven't gone through a full case (1000 rounds) of either yet, so I'm willing to concede that inconsistencies might show up later. I'm also planned on getting some of the Wolf 223, and would love to find their 308 if I could. I'll be talking to at least one gun dealer today, I think I should be able to ask about it then.

Just so this isn't completely off topic: As for the chrono results, I belive that the Ausie 308 uses a 146 grain FMJBT. The velocity you listed for it is similar to the advertised velocity for the South African 308, with a 144 grain bullet. Both of them have been very accurate in my 22" 308.

Before I forget, I must confess something.... I like the AR15. I never thought I'd say it, but I do. I'm thinking about buying a lower receiver and building a few different upper assemblies for it. Personally, I think having one in 5.45x39 would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I got from 7.62x39 saiga results:

Old Tula (white paper box) 123grain -> 2360 fps

Wolf (new Tula) 123grain -> 2440 fps

I´ve used only Tula ammo, no problems at all, never.

And these are my .308 results so far: (posted before)

"Temperature -8 celsius degrees, snow fell, wind max. +1m/s

22" barrel, saiga .308

Chrono results

Nato left over bullet 9,4? (144 grain), average speed 825m/s (2700 fps)

Sako Range 8g (123 grain), average speed 925m/s (3035 fps)

Lapua Scenar 10,85g (168 grain), average speed 830m/s (2720 fps)

All tested was factory loadings.

"

I have used Wolf,Corbon ,Federal, Winchester, Silver Bear, what I have noticed in a 7.62 after 50 yrds the 124 gr. start going high RT or Left . My gun seems to shoot the 154gr better. I remember having reading this before by all of you Saiga loving Gentlemen. This web sight is very helpful no matter what caliber you shoot . Thank You All!!!!!