Barrel Lenght Reduction

How hard is it to reduce a barrel length? What tools are needed and can it be done by hand?

Tools:

-hack saw

-disc sander w/ fence so you can square off the muzzle

-thread dies so you can re thread the barrel (there is some guy here who rents the dies out for this)

-mallet to remove the gas tube assembly

-drill press & bits to add/enlarge gas ports b/t barrel & piston

-dirll press vise

-prolly center punches & cutting fluid

You likely can't merely chop the barrel b/c it will affect the operating pressures in the gas system. The gas ports are sized according to both their distance from the chamber & their distance from the muzzle. Someone can probably tell you how many ports of what size you need to make per barrel length. Note that the gas ports can only be so large b/c if they are too large, the pressure in the shot cup will extrude the shot cup into the gas port & clog it causing malfunctions. W/ shotguns this is a difficulty so you have to use more & smaller ports.

I think about 12" is the minimum w/o doing a repositioning of the gas port itself, which is very hard.

How hard is it to reduce a barrel length? What tools are needed and can it be done by hand?

Tools:

-hack saw

-disc sander w/ fence so you can square off the muzzle

-thread dies so you can re thread the barrel (there is some guy here who rents the dies out for this)

-mallet to remove the gas tube assembly

-drill press & bits to add/enlarge gas ports b/t barrel & piston

-dirll press vise

-prolly center punches & cutting fluid

You likely can't merely chop the barrel b/c it will affect the operating pressures in the gas system. The gas ports are sized according to both their distance from the chamber & their distance from the muzzle. Someone can probably tell you how many ports of what size you need to make per barrel length. Note that the gas ports can only be so large b/c if they are too large, the pressure in the shot cup will extrude the shot cup into the gas port & clog it causing malfunctions. W/ shotguns this is a difficulty so you have to use more & smaller ports.

I think about 12" is the minimum w/o doing a repositioning of the gas port itself, which is very hard.

I only plan on reducing it by 1 inch. Will this still effect the gas system?

I only plan on reducing it by 1 inch. Will this still effect the gas system?

Obviously it will have SOME effect on the pressure into your gas system. You might be able to get away with it by using a KA puck, a gun fixer knob, & reduced recoil springs.

If I go forward with converting my 2nd gun I plan to shorten it and permanently attach a polychoke for an overall length of 18.X".

I had cut mine down to where a permanently attached Poly Choke ended at 18 1/4", and I opened up 2 of the 4 ports about .015.

It worked fine, even with elcheapo Walmart shells.

Oh, and I did have one of my plugs in it, the prototype, to be exact.

I had cut mine down to where a permanently attached Poly Choke ended at 18 1/4", and I opened up 2 of the 4 ports about .015.

It worked fine, even with elcheapo Walmart shells.

Oh, and I did have one of my plugs in it, the prototype, to be exact.

Would I have to make any gas port adjustments if I am only making a 1 inch reduction? I do have one of your plugs on the way.

Would I have to make any gas port adjustments if I am only making a 1 inch reduction?

PROBABLY not, but remember that there's people out there with full length barrels that are having issues because of the large variance between gas port location/numbers. So it's really hard to say. Assuming your gun works well now with a 19" barrel, I'm GUESSING that removing 1 inch from the barrel wouldn't change a whole lot. I'm by no means an expert on that though.

Personally, I'd love to remove my barrel, grind a feed ramp on it, cut it back and permanently add a PolyChoke to 18.5". I'd probably open up the ports a little if I did that. Not sure I'll ever get around to it though because of having to remove the barrel first in order to keep the procedure legal, as I understand it.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

With a flex shaft tool and the proper bits, you can put the feed ramp in the barrel with it still in the receiver.

Yes, if the gun works well at 19", then it should work quite close to that at 18". You don't want to go quite all the way to 18" anyway. All you'd need would be an agent or LEO with a measuring rod 1/16" or so off, and you'd be in jail. It'd be up to you to prove the rod was off. Hell, you could make a simple mistake during the measuring or cutting process and be 1/32" to 1/16" off, and if it was to the short side, you'd be screwed. It's always better to cut at least 1/8" long, and 1/4" would be better.

I cut my older S12s 22" barrel down to 18 1/4" with no problems,its a 3 holer.I have reworked/polished the bolt and chamber opening,ect.

That's good to hear. I am having the 'smith cut my 3 holer 22" down and thread it for internal chokes.

For the home smith without a lathe (and the barrel still attached), I would recommend using a tubing cutter to scribe the line to follow with the saw, and a machinist square to guide your file work. Resist the tempation to just roll the thing off with the tubing cutter, it will leave quite a ridge on the ID.

Cut a little longer with the saw and finish to the scribe line with a file.

Finish up with a home made lap and some compound. (Those brass cleaning rod guides work well a laps).

I cut my older S12s 22" barrel down to 18 1/4" with no problems,its a 3 holer.I have reworked/polished the bolt and chamber opening,ect.

That's good to hear. I am having the 'smith cut my 3 holer 22" down and thread it for internal chokes.

I'll just throw this out there just because I was so impressed by the company. I cut the threads off one of my guns and squared it with a mill and these guys installed Rem chokes for me, but they probably would have done it for the same price. Carlson's choke tubes threaded my barrel for Rem chokes, included 3 chokes of my choice, 2 installation tools and shipping for $125ish. Took 5 days door to door. http://www.choketube.com/

Just another option, I have to thank Wakal for the lead.

Did you have to make any adjustments to your gas ports after reducing from 22" to 18 1/4"? Does it cycle well after the reduction?

Did you have to make any adjustments to your gas ports after reducing from 22" to 18 1/4"? Does it cycle well after the reduction?

Cycles fine,never did open the ports.I shoot 00 buck primarily and Fed Walmart birdshot exclusively .I do highly recommend the bolt rework/polishing thats described here on the forums tech section.

Cycles fine,never did open the ports.I shoot 00 buck primarily and Fed Walmart birdshot exclusively .I do highly recommend the bolt rework/polishing thats described here on the forums tech section.

I did polish my bolt and added the 25% reduced hammer spring, I also have a gunfixr plug on the way. I am hoping that a 3/4 in reduction won't require any gas adjustments.