308 muzzle brake? Possible? legal?

In order to muzzle brake a S-308, not to tame its already fairly mild recoil but to save jarring of the optics, it has to be both legal and possible, right?

does adding a muzzle brake violate 922? or any other laws? TX has no additional 'assault weapon' laws to contend with. Otherwise, i understand it needs to conform to the 10-or-less rules.

Can it be done WITHOUT uninstalling the front sight? Is a slip-on, screw-tight or something similar available? effective? If so, gotta link?

If it must be threaded, has anyone done so and how effective was the modification?

are you pleased overall with the modification?

Thanks, i am doing a searc as we speak and will post answers to my own question as I find them!

C-

There's plenty of discussion on topic on other threads.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...=30entry31952

and

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...st=0entry9416

Mine were TG (Tig?) welded on by the guy that did the conversion on both my "22 and "16. The method he used left no bead. I've seen them pinned and welded to the site with a small bead visible.

here you go man. if youre going to be using optics then you dont really need the front sight mounted on the barrel. you could always add the gas block mounted one from ace if you wanted to. i cut mine off, recrowned, and threaded the end of the barrel for both the mb and fh (5/8 x 24 tpi). main thing is that they are usa made and you make the parts count you have nothing to worry about. i havent shot it yet like this as i was waiting on the scope, but i did recently get 600 rounds of australian surplus ammo. some of which is just begging to be shot either this weekend or next friday for sure. once its broken in the federal match grade ammo will hopefully be the test of its accuracy. hope that helps you.

link w/pics

I am new to Saigas but have built a couple of AK's. My understanding is if you add a muzzle device (F/H or Brake) you will have to have a total of 6 US parts. Without the muzzle device it's only 5 US parts. I am almost done with my .308 conversion which contains G2 FCG (3 parts), ACE pistol grip, and a US NATO length AK stock. This gets me by until I add my muzzle brake (AK74 FSB & brake), at which time I will swap gas pistons.

Thanks for all the info.

I see Brownells sells a C-1 and C-5 adapter to slip on and add threads. I wonder if I can dremel a notch out between 2 of the set screws so it will slip on without having to move the front sight?

If I am in Texas (which I am) and has no state AWB and I ONLY want to add a removeable muzzle brake, using Brownell's slip-on/screw down muzzle thread adapter do I still need to play the 10-or-less game?

That is, I am keeping the non-pg factory stock, etc.

C-