Spring won't stay put!!!

So, I've done my conversion. I noticed when I put the hammer back in last week the spring wasn't sitting in the same place as my other Saiga (223). I figured it would just make the trigger light, and carried on.

I took some guns out shooting today and after each round fired the spring would slap itself to the middle of the trigger, failing to reset the trigger and obviously making me have to take the recoil spring out and push it back over. Anyone have any idea why this spring would do this? The shotgun has exactly 3 rounds fired through it. Pics below.

This picture is how the springs lays naturally:

Bufferandspring006.jpg

This picture is how it should lie. (or close to this at least):

Bufferandspring005.jpg

And finally, a picture of where the spring goes after a round is fired:

Bufferandspring004.jpg

Any idea???

Ignore the huge hole I cut for my PG nut, gotta get it welded up.

You can try to rebend it, with a twist or just pick you up a new Spring, if yours is unwound.. looks to me you just need a slight tweek.

Is there a certain way it should be done? I ask because I tried bending it in the opposite direction and it just snapped back to what you see in the picture.

My gun did the same thing. Tromix says grab it with some needle nose and give it a hard twist clock-wise with a little outward bend in the leg. That will keep it out from behind the hammer. It seems to have worked for me.

Carolina shooter supply sells an improved hammer spring that is supposedly lighter on the trigger pull and easier to bend and manipulate to stay where you want. You might want to try that.

Mine did the same thing. Twisted it to where it finally would stay in the right spot and havent had trouble since.

I'm glad this is normal, but pissed that I only fired 3 rounds from it today. I'm gonna go see what I can do with it.

Thanks everybody!

*edit* I just bought a new spring, but I'm going to try to fix this one in the mean time. I'll report back.

Edited by kamauxx

I have the lighter spring from Carolina Shooters Supply. It really smooths things up. When used with the lighter recoil spring, it makes your action really nice for lighter loads. I DID have the lighter hammer/trigger spring do this same thing though. In fact, it was just today that it slipped inward and kept the trigger from resetting.

Bending the legs outward a bit seemed to take care of the problem easy enough though. If it does it again, I'll rig up something else to fix it. Maybe a metal twist tie looped under the trigger that keeps the springs in place.

Corbin

I noticed the same thing when I first got my S12. Since I always break down every gun I purchase I located the problem and fixed it the first 4 hours I had it. No big deal being it's a Russian made AK type weapon. You don't have to be delicate with it. I have not had the problem since then. The S12 reminds me of an old 1984 Chevy K5 Blazer I use to own. Ran like a champ, easy to fix and a joy to have. :wub:

That's a good analogy. I used to have an 82 Jeep that was the same way. No complicated parts and it could be fixed by a screwdriver, wrench and sometimes a hammer. LOL

The S12 reminds me of an old 1984 Chevy K5 Blazer I use to own. Ran like a champ, easy to fix and a joy to have. :wub: