Anybody know anything about this?????

Unsupported chambers and thin commercial brass make for a bad combination. 40S&W and early 45ACP guns could burst the shell casing in the unsupported area if the brass was weak enough.9mm,10mm,357SIG never has this problem.

The main problem: All makes and models of guns have failures, MOST of the time they involve reloads. .40 S&W is a high pressure round and improperly reloaded rounds can cause KB. Not all Kbs are reload related, but most are. There are many times more glocks out there being used extensively than any other pistol, so statistically, more of these issues should show up in glocks. Think of all of the Police departments that have been putting millions of rounds through their G22s for 15 years with no Kbs. Most Kbs don't happen in Glocks or .40 calibers, many more Kbs happen in 1911 pistols and M1A rifles. Here is some other examples;

post-10946-1240003167_thumb.jpg

Springfield XD Kb

post-10946-1240003198_thumb.jpg

1911 Kb

post-10946-1240003220_thumb.jpg

Revolver Kb

post-10946-1240003239.jpg

H&K USP Kb

post-10946-1240003266_thumb.jpg

Sig Kb

Reloading is not just a fun hobby and great way to save money, it can also be very dangerous, and improperly done has caused many deaths and maimings. I don't use or trust other people reloads after seeing a couple of Rifles blow up.

As already mentioned, don't shoot unjacketed lead bullets in your Glock.

The problems with Glocks stem from 2 things: the popularity of the .40 round, and the vulnerability of the Glock design to overpressure scenarios. The .40 round is operating at the upper end of its safe pressure range, and a round that has been chambered once can potentially have its bullet pushed back in its case. As little as 1/10 of an inch will double the pressure in the .40 case and cause a kaboom. Because of this, it's a bad idea to rechamber a round that's already been chambered and ejected.

Granted, thousands of people run Glocks for many thousands of rounds without a problem. However, because of this gun's inherent design vulnerabilities, I cannot truly trust one myself. I greatly prefer a more robust design that won't likely blow up from a minor ammo problem. I'll take a Ruger P-series, thank you very much.

The problems with Glocks stem from 2 things: the popularity of the .40 round, and the vulnerability of the Glock design to overpressure scenarios. The .40 round is operating at the upper end of its safe pressure range, and a round that has been chambered once can potentially have its bullet pushed back in its case. As little as 1/10 of an inch will double the pressure in the .40 case and cause a kaboom. Because of this, it's a bad idea to rechamber a round that's already been chambered and ejected.

Granted, thousands of people run Glocks for many thousands of rounds without a problem. However, because of this gun's inherent design vulnerabilities, I cannot truly trust one myself. I greatly prefer a more robust design that won't likely blow up from a minor ammo problem. I'll take a Ruger P-series, thank you very much.

That's not what I have read at all.I have read that it is the unsupported chamber and thin brass not bullet setback and that if you either use an aftermarket barrel with fully supported chamber or use the original heavy duty 40SW brass that was essentially cut down 10mm brass that you can run the hottest 40SW rounds available.

Plenty of HKs and 1911s Kboom and they were designed for their most popular calibers(USP 40 and 1911 45) while the Glock is a 9mm doing double duty and is the hardest used and most common 40 caliber in this hemisphere being used by more police departments than all other 40 caliber pistols combined.

Just thought I'd add a little perspective there

Edited by SOPMOD
That's not what I have read at all.I have read that it is the unsupported chamber and thin brass not bullet setback and that if you either use an aftermarket barrel with fully supported chamber or use the original heavy duty 40SW brass that was essentially cut down 10mm brass that you can run the hottest 40SW rounds available.

That's an additional problem that's compounded by the ammo's issues. The gun itself is particularly vulnerable to blowouts due to the unsupported chamber, the gun's construction is more vulnerable to an ammo problem because it's less robust, and the round itself can have overpressure problems due to bullet pushback. It's a bad combination, if you think about it. If any one of several things goes wrong, the gun blows up. I can't trust it. There's no fewer than three aspects of the Glock .40's design promoting catastrophic failure.

That's an additional problem that's compounded by the ammo's issues. The gun itself is particularly vulnerable to blowouts due to the unsupported chamber, the gun's construction is more vulnerable to an ammo problem because it's less robust, and the round itself can have overpressure problems due to bullet pushback. It's a bad combination, if you think about it. If any one of several things goes wrong, the gun blows up. I can't trust it. There's no fewer than three aspects of the Glock .40's design promoting catastrophic failure.

The barrels aren't robust?They proof test them at the same pressures as HK and Beretta barrels.What gives?

No, I said the gun itself is not as robust. It's a polymer gun. It's less capable of handling an ammo blowout than many steel guns. Granted, depending on the severity, a steel gun may be destroyed as well, but in many cases the Glock would explode where the steel gun would survive.

Glock .40 problem 1: Unsupported chamber.

Glock .40 problem 2: Polymer construction.

Glock .40 problem 3: High-pressure ammo that is more prone to blowouts.

These three things increase the likelihood of a blowout and all but guarantee that any such blowout will effectively destroy the gun.

No, I said the gun itself is not as robust. It's a polymer gun. It's less capable of handling an ammo blowout than many steel guns. Granted, depending on the severity, a steel gun may be destroyed as well, but in many cases the Glock would explode where the steel gun would survive.

Glock .40 problem 1: Unsupported chamber.

Glock .40 problem 2: Polymer construction.

Glock .40 problem 3: High-pressure ammo that is more prone to blowouts.

These three things increase the likelihood of a blowout and all but guarantee that any such blowout will effectively destroy the gun.

I think your assessment is correct.

The only issue I see, and this is of course very debatable, is the defining them as "problems".

1.) Unsupported chamber problem vs. larger ramp area for better feeding of many types of ammo. That was the design intent.

2.) Polymer construction problem vs. many, many quality weapons with polymer construction, most people wouldn't call it a problem.

3.) High pressure ammo prone to blow outs problem vs. how many millions of rounds have been shot without a blowout trend noticed? The KB's I've read about were reloads or bad factory ammo. Happens to other calibers to.

After doing a lot of looking into this, and taking into account the sheer number of Glocks and the untold number of rounds that have been put through them The KB's that have happened to them don't appear to be any more prevalent than the KB's that happen to any other guns/other calibers.

If you are going to fear this happening to you then should also not drive your car, or go out in the rain, get rid of all your kitchen knives, and put carpet on the shower floor, etc.

Just say'n...

I look at it like this: it creates conditions where a Glock could fail at a critical moment where another firearm could survive or avoid a problem entirely. Assuming you have another firearm that feeds with the same reliability, and is within your weight, power, and size limits, it is probably a safer choice. Even eliminating one of those three problems such as the lack of chamber support will severely reduce the chances that #3 will pose a problem. Singlehandedly or paired with any one other, none of these are likely to be a problem, but combining the three is just asking for trouble.

I also personally believe the Glock's lack of a manual safety, instead relying on a trigger pull safety, is a liability as it makes the gun vulnerable to snagging. A pistol with an engaged manual safety that snags something in its trigger guard, no problem. A Glock, and you've got an accidental discharge. Many people like it as they don't have to disengage the safety as they draw their gun, but I personally believe that the Glock's system should not legally be considered a safety device or be allowed as the only device. A major part of the safety is to protect against an inadvertent pull of the trigger, and the Glock's safety does not do this.

I look at it like this: it creates conditions where a Glock could fail at a critical moment where another firearm could survive or avoid a problem entirely. Assuming you have another firearm that feeds with the same reliability, and is within your weight, power, and size limits, it is probably a safer choice. Even eliminating one of those three problems such as the lack of chamber support will severely reduce the chances that #3 will pose a problem. Singlehandedly or paired with any one other, none of these are likely to be a problem, but combining the three is just asking for trouble.

I also personally believe the Glock's lack of a manual safety, instead relying on a trigger pull safety, is a liability as it makes the gun vulnerable to snagging. A pistol with an engaged manual safety that snags something in its trigger guard, no problem. A Glock, and you've got an accidental discharge. Many people like it as they don't have to disengage the safety as they draw their gun, but I personally believe that the Glock's system should not legally be considered a safety device or be allowed as the only device. A major part of the safety is to protect against an inadvertent pull of the trigger, and the Glock's safety does not do this.

Sorry guy I have seen more 1911s take a dump than Glocks.I have experienced 6 malfunction in 30,000 rounds which isalmost exactly 10x more reliable than my wife's Kimber or even 6x better than my trusty Wilson prepped Colt Gold Cup of years gone by.

There are more cops and more security contractors and more highly trained shooters running Glocks world wide than any other pistol,PERIOD This is due to reliability.

Not looks,not feel,not accuracy,not cost but LEGENDARY RELIABILITY

There are a dozen pistols I enjoy shooting more than a Glock but when my life is on the line the Glock will go bang when other stuff has already reached hopeless condition and when steel weapons KaBooms just because the frame looks like it's in one piece doesn't mean the weapon is still functional because they usually aren't and what's more most of these antiques won't bust your hand they will go right for your head with shrapnel and that is certainly a less acceptable consequence than a sore hand.

The whole Glock Kaboom hysteria was started by a 1911 guy, who for some psychotic reason, hates glocks with a passion. He started a website called "the gun zone" dedicated to cataloging every glock failure he could find. He has found a small number of Kaboomed Glocks and concludes that they are dangerous guns. Now every kook that has a strange infatuation with hating Glocks quotes his work. I assure you, there are more .40 caliber Glocks being used than any other gun. Glock .40s are used by the majority of LEAs, with millions of rounds in each department and only a few kabooms (mostly involving reloads).

As a firearms instructor for many years, and a competition shooter, I assure you that a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger percentage of 1911s Kaboom (usually with reloads). If you want to catalog pistol problems, the gun zone should go to some 1,000 round pistol courses and see what guns run trouble free. The high-dollar 1911s always go down first.

More revolvers Kaboom than .40 caliber glocks, where is all the people claiming that revolvers are dangerous? M1A, M14, and Garands Kaboom more than any gun - where is the website warning people not to shoot these?

All gun designs can Kaboom if you get a bad one or use improperly loaded ammo. You can't escape this by buying an XD or Ruger because they kaboom too! To minimize the likelihood of a kaboom to almost zero, give your gun a thorough inspection during every cleaning and only use good commercial ammo.

My advise to Juggs is to call or email several prominent pistol instructors and ask them. They see thousands of pistols a year shoot millions of rounds. They will tell you what runs the best and about general safety issues with particular models. You will get pretty much the same answer from most instructors.

... Sorry guy I have seen more 1911s take a dump than Glocks.I have experienced 6 malfunction in 30,000 rounds which isalmost exactly 10x more reliable than my wife's Kimber or even 6x better than my trusty Wilson prepped Colt Gold Cup of years gone by.

There are more cops and more security contractors and more highly trained shooters running Glocks world wide than any other pistol,PERIOD This is due to reliability. ...

Absolutely! Most people that have been in firearms for a while will see a 1911 that has blown up, if you been in them a for long you may well blow one up yourself, I have. My first carry pistol was a Colt Series 70 1911 and I still have several.

On the hand if a Glock blows up anywhere in America, you seem to read about it on the Internet. There is a reason that this one of the most used duty pistols of all time. All the sour grapes in the world will not change this.

The following is losely based on experience and opinion (Opinions are like asshole.. right) when the glock 17 and 19 both 9 mills came out several people were loading them hot and glock recieved a rep as being indestructable. The problem with that is a 9mm is hard to realy load hot enough to Kaboom. the case volume is large enough. It is quite hard to get enought powder in there to cause such a severe problem. 40 cal on the other hand has enough case volume to alow a over charge.. So you have a repuation of being indestructable. People will push the boundary and combine that with a un supported barrel and you have a dangerous situation. manufactures state in the manual factory loads only no reloads allowed.. I am a reloader and a realist. mistakes happen. A couple of years ago while shooting a round of sporting clays with my father. I got a hold of some of his reloads that he accidentally double charged. Bruised the hell out of my cheek and set my shooting glases flying. (browing over unders ya got to love them) Because of the human error factor and because I reload thousands of rounds a year I don,t like to tempt fate. I only reload 9mm and .45 simply because there is a much larger margin for error. .40 cal not much margin for error already close to the edge. So last but not least in my experience you can push a 9mm glock (somewhat ) and a .45 ( I shoot a springfield with a fully supported barrel) a lot. and believe me I have. But I would not push the envelope with a .40 no matter the make or model.

sorry for rambling (sugar rush)