Double stack mag for Saiga

Im gonna try to make a double stack mag for my saiga with a little help from my freinds at modern industries, I just got my drum and its sick as hell but I dont like how its in the way of my fore grip. You would think this should not be that hard but I will post some picks in the next few weeks once my prototype is done! DIE ZOMBIES!

Dude, you realize how wide that would be? Pretty badass though.

What is visualize is it will be 50% (or less) wider than a standard single stack magazine. It will also be considerably narrower than a drum.

Wishing you great success on your experiment...

jonblack

...You would think this should not be that hard ....

It is widely considered to be very hard. If the rounds acted like they do in a rifle mag, it would be easy. But you need some kind of mechanism to organize the rims as they go into the single stack.

I've thought about this- but haven't tried to prototype anything yet...

a big issue is that the Saiga-12 is only wide enough for a single column at the receiver- so you have to get the shells to converge, much like a pistol mag..

most rifle mags really don't do this- each round winds up on one side or the other at the top of the mag..

conceptually, I think if you keep the shells tilted (front high), then the rim should naturally work out- it's a matter of the angle..

but if you have them angled properly, then the bottom lip of the higher shells would always be ahead of the shells below it..

the other issue to deal with is variable length... and other dimensions...

you may be able to get a design that works for Remington 2 3/4" shells, but 3" shells won't work, or Federal shells won't work-

there's a lot less uniformity of dimensions & shapes in shotgun shells than in rifle rounds...

best of luck..

Edited by Lunyfringe

The ingenuity of a determined man never ceases to surprise me. Here's wishing you a clear mind to enhance your creative vision. If you can bring this to fruition we will all benefit from it.

jonblack

*edited to fix typo

Edited by jonblack
I've thought about this- but haven't tried to prototype anything yet...

a big issue is that the Saiga-12 is only wide enough for a single column at the receiver- so you have to get the shells to converge, much like a pistol mag..

most rifle mags really don't do this- each round winds up on one side or the other at the top of the mag..

conceptually, I think if you keep the shells tilted (front high), then the rim should naturally work out- it's a matter of the angle..

but if you have them angled properly, then the bottom lip of the higher shells would always be ahead of the shells below it..

You make a lot of good points here.

the other issue to deal with is variable length... and other dimensions...

you may be able to get a design that works for Remington 2 3/4" shells, but 3" shells won't work, or Federal shells won't work-

there's a lot less uniformity of dimensions & shapes in shotgun shells than in rifle rounds...

best of luck..

Is there a round that is preferred above others? I'm kind of new to the world of shotguns, so I'm not sure if there is even a de facto HD or plinkin' shell.

In the case of the Kel Tec P32 magazines, they are best suited for ball ammo, and are a little long for hollow point cartridges. So, there is a mod called a "flyer wire," named after a message board member. It uses a piece of wire as a shim to take up space in the mag. Maybe this staggered S12 mag could be built to max length and a set of sheet metal shims be included to use with a particular shell.

Just brainstormin'...

jonblack