I got a great deal on my Saiga 308 with mount scope and 5 mags. The gun had the rear sight taken off by the last owner-I presume it was to put a scope on and get clearance.

I wanted to replace the sight as I like to have the ability to use the iron sight but the last owner I think took a dremel to take the sight off-idiot.

Anyway is there anything I can do to fix this situation. See pictures below.

cid_EFE6B049-EDD9-47C7-AD6C-91BB009.jpg

cid_E142F22A-0F86-4744-8159-0C4F17B.jpg

although the cost for that job plus what you paid for the gun could well run higher than the price of a new S308.

I would hurry up and jump on the ones tromix is doing with the rail on the back cover, front you might be on your own.

And i think a 4 1/2" sanding disc on a side grinder would make wonderful work if that hack job.

After the thrill of the bargain has worn off your still stuck with a messed up rear sight .
Amen to that brotha. Ain't no deal here... But we do got us a jacked up Saiga.

I don't know.

The way I see it

5 mags @ around $30.00 = $150.00

80 rounds @ .$50 = $ 40.00

Bushnell Scope = $ 50.00

Side Mount = $ 30.00

----------------------------------------------

$ 270.00

Saiga for $30.00

sounds good to me. :)

Yeah, we know you're rationalizing the great "deal" you got to fight back your buyer's remorse. But the fact is, you got a jacked up Saiga with no irons. If your cheap $50 optic mounted to an even cheaper $30 rail ever fail, your weapon will be next to useless without irons. It is what it is...

You could have someone spot weld or tack a bridge where the RSB was dremeled and reinstall a rear sight leaf. But it is hacked up pretty bad, so maybe even that won't work. Maybe get the HK irons. Those require welding too. Don't know what else to say. We feel for ya man.

Edited by gothchick

I would say you got a great deal. Sure the sights jacked up but:

A. If you only shoot with the scope then it doesn't matter at all. Yeah if the scope goes belly up on you you are done but what are you using this thing for? How much does it really matter? If you were staking your life on that set up it might be a problem if not the consequences of the scope or mount failing is an abbreviated shooting session.

B. There are much better iron sight options out there. Sure you have to add the price of them but I want to move away from my OME open sights anyways and I didn't get a steal on my S308 for someone being too retarded to remove the sight correctly.

In short I wouldn't have any buyers remorse if I were you. If it were my rifle I would likely look into some other sights probably the HK sights.

I would say you got a great deal. Sure the sights jacked up but:

A. If you only shoot with the scope then it doesn't matter at all. Yeah if the scope goes belly up on you you are done but what are you using this thing for? How much does it really matter? If you were staking your life on that set up it might be a problem if not the consequences of the scope or mount failing is an abbreviated shooting session.

B. There are much better iron sight options out there. Sure you have to add the price of them but I want to move away from my OME open sights anyways and I didn't get a steal on my S308 for someone being too retarded to remove the sight correctly.

In short I wouldn't have any buyers remorse if I were you. If it were my rifle I would likely look into some other sights probably the HK sights.

Thanks. I have zero remorse, and I would buy again. I originally posted here to get ideas on what to do with the rear sight. Thanks to all of you who have helped. I will look into the HK sights.

I also received several offers to buy the gun from me--sorry guys not for sale.

Yeah I would have snapped the gun up at 300.00 and been happy. But I'd probably just grind the site block flat and paint it, anything that makes a scope unusable will likely mess up irons anyway.

Yeah I would have snapped the gun up at 300.00 and been happy. But I'd probably just grind the site block flat and paint it, anything that makes a scope unusable will likely mess up irons anyway.

Tech-Sights is coming out with a AK rear sight for a lot less than others might want to contact them. I have the install guide in pdf if you want i will email it to you.

tech sights

PS

You got a great deal man this little problem is nothing to fix. Grind it off stock saiga sights bite any way

Edited by Rhodes1968

Is the tang for your stock still intact, or has it been cut off? If so, you might be able to use the DPH Arms rail and a peep sight on it for a rear sight. It does not attach by replacing the rear sight leaf. It has screws that dig into the sides of the trunion independent of the rear sight leaf. Could be a big improvement over the stock rear v notch sight.

DPH Arms Beryl rail

Edited by cscharlie