differences between 19" models and 24" models?

I found a good deal on a 24" bbl Saiga 12, is there any internal/functional differences between them and the 19" model? I'm thinking of getting the 24" one and cutting the bbl down and adding a muzzle break (permanently) for a total bbl length of 18.1"....

yeh, you might need to open the gas ports up a little when you cut it down.

I will also remind you that unless you are licensed to do gunsmithing, you will be in violation of federal law when you cut the barrel back before you attach the brake. solution to this if you arent licensed and can perform the work yourself, is to completely REMOVE the barrel from the receiver and photograph the gun apart like that, with the serial number showing, for later proof, if ever required.

If all of that is too much for you, I do have some 19" guns in stock right now for 575 + shipping.

If this is the deal at Centerfire Systems (the one with the free .22 rifle), then the only diff is the barrel length AND these shotguns do not have the optic side-rail. I just jumped on this offer myself yesterday. As far as i know, those are the only difference: 5 inches, and missing side optic rail.

I planned on taking the beast to a gunsmith....assuming I do, they can legally cut the bbl down and perma attach a muzzlebreak? I want an 18.1" total bbl length including the break. Not sure why the guys who made the saiga went with 19" + threads, but whatever. Tooo long for me! :ph34r:

As far as the side rail gizmo, what side rail? Never noticed them in any factory saiga pics. I don't want optics on my shotty anyway but...just curious.

I planned on taking the beast to a gunsmith....assuming I do, they can legally cut the bbl down and perma attach a muzzlebreak? I want an 18.1" total bbl length including the break. Not sure why the guys who made the saiga went with 19" + threads, but whatever. Tooo long for me! :ph34r:

As far as the side rail gizmo, what side rail? Never noticed them in any factory saiga pics. I don't want optics on my shotty anyway but...just curious.

If you look on the left-side (the side without the safety/charging handle) on almost every AK-type rifle, there is a rail that is riveted on the side that you can attach a mount onto.

Rail on rifle:

post-4175-1241236268_thumb.jpg

No rail on rifle:

post-4175-1241236374_thumb.jpg

No biggie, just a minor difference.

Cheers,

-glock22c

The difference is in the gas ports. A longer barrel like that does not require as much flow of gasses through the gas block to operate the weapon efficiently. If you or anyone else cut that barrel down to the length you are wanting to, you WILL need to remove the gas block and enlarge the ports, possibly even add one. You probably only have three now. A preferable setup for the 19" S-12 is four gas ports. Do a search for a thread in the S-12 section titled..."Cronic FTE problem"..or something close to that....

Not sure why the guys who made the saiga went with 19" + threads, but whatever.

Actually, this is what I've considered for my too-long S12: cut down and thread to the standard 19" length (via gunsmith -- this exceeds my skillz). Since this is longer than 'sawed-off shotgun' length even without brake, I presume that there are no legal issues involved, right? Other than maybre 922r, and I'm taking care of that in other ways. Just want to make sure.

Yeah, yeah: gas ports: I know. :-)

Not sure why the guys who made the saiga went with 19" + threads, but whatever.

Actually, this is what I've considered for my too-long S12: cut down and thread to the standard 19" length (via gunsmith -- this exceeds my skillz). Since this is longer than 'sawed-off shotgun' length even without brake, I presume that there are no legal issues involved, right? Other than maybre 922r, and I'm taking care of that in other ways. Just want to make sure.

Yeah, yeah: gas ports: I know. :-)

No legal issues. Cut that barrel to your heart's desires! You could take a Sawzall to it yourself, if you were so inclined. You only run into problems if you cut the barrel shorter than 18". In that case, you better have had your Form 1 for an SBS on file and approved with the BATFE prior to the > 18" cut.