Custom Barrel Work

does anybody know of a smith that will cut rifling into a shotgun barrel? I might get another s12 and have it rifled if its possible, and I am also thinking about getting a saiga410 and having that rifled, as then it wouldnt be a shotgun by the law's eyes anymore and I could do a bit more to it in my facist state of NY that I live in....

BV...I'm not sure or utd on NY laws...but I think the 410 comes under different restrictions than Guaged SG's...I know of a few people that cut their Winchester 9410s' dn to 16" barrels that were with-in the bounds of legality...Hmm..Maybe they're considered rifles....even tho they are smooth bores..:-)??

Can't help you with the smith but I'm seriously looking into adding a rifled choke tube. I have a Rem870SP and it has a 3" rifled choke tube that amazingly enough..puts those plain- jane 1 ounce Sluggers down range to 100 yards in a 3" target if I do my part correctly.

I know.. your prolly looking at the rifled thing for others reasons. I think the judge would still call it a shotgun just before he sends you through the back door. :unsure:

I agree with Ned, Bvamp.... no matter what you do to the .410... its always going to be a .410... just a modified one... and still a shotgun...

Thats like me calling my mossberg 835 a LARGEBORE rifle... just because it has a rifled barrel on it...

nice thoughts though...

:smoke:

Thats like me calling my mossberg 835  a LARGEBORE rifle... just because it has a rifled barrel on it...

I've often wondered why adding a rifled barrel to a shotgun is legal and doesn't make it a destructive device? of course i usually just think about it in my head , instead of putting it in print where gun-grabbers might read it and get ideas. :cryss:

Bvamp ,

I'd do some research on a fixed barrel rifled 12 GA shotgun before you go to far. it might be legal with a traditional changeable barrel shotgun but not with a fixed barrel type.

rifled 12 is legal. its still a shotgun. however, If i were to rifle a 410, I would also chamber it for 45 long colt? or was it 41 long colt? that is interchangeable with the 410 round with the shorter chamber...making it a 41 caliber RIFLE, as it is no longer a smootebore shotgun and would accept a pistol/old school rifle cartridge.

where the hell is tony when you need him?

TONY!!!

Actually.... .444 marlin rounds fit almost PERFECTLY in a .410 barrel....

Whether the chamber can take the pressures would be another thing... talk to battlerifleG3 he was working on this concept a while back.... he may have some inklings for you....

:smoke:

I'm not sure, but you can' have a "rifle" with a bore larger than .50 or 1/2" except Muzzleloader. You are walking a fine line Rifling a shotgun barrel and shooting slugs through it.

P.S. Sheetmetal mags are still in the works. I'll call them 8+ mags. "wink wink"

You could possibly fit more than 8 if you try hard enough...... :evil:

I can buy scoped and fully rifled 12 20 16 410 barrels just about anywhere legally. Im also actually looking for one for a moss500 and a reg 870 if anybody has one that they HAVE NOT fired shot down ever....numrich wants way too much for them new.

I recently had a 13" barreled .71 caliber RIFLED musket appraised for a friend of mine. get this. in MY state, even though it is antique, it would be illegal for him to own if he had ANY percussion caps, black powder or bullets for it on the property. it would become a SBR, and would also fall into DD category, however that works? I have a really bad picture of it.....yes its from the civil war before anybody asks. I love this state. how ridiculous is that?

post-2-1108854890.jpg