I am a new (make that "brand new") owner of a Saiga 12. I am very interested in a proper convervsion, but I'm a little daunted by the idea of cutting up my new receiver. I've already read some of the tutorials available on the web, but I still have some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to yet. I'm fairly handy with tools, but have never had any real "gunsmith" experience.

I was looking at using the Tromix DIY Trigger Guard to avoid having to cut any holes in the receiver. I have a few questions and hoped that maybe someone here would impart some knowledge. :unsure:

If any questions in here have previously been asked then I apologize in advance....

1. IF I use the Tromix DIY Trigger Guard will I have to cut ANY holes?

2. Assuming NO holes need to be cut, would it be possible to convert back to "Sporter" config if I ever wanted / needed too?

3. I have seen "Receiver Back-Plates" for sale for certain stocks. Are they necessary for ALL aftermarket stocks (besides tapco fake conversion)?

4. What happens to the factory Bolt Hold-Open? There is currently a little slot where the lever sticks out. Do I lose that option?

5. Does anyone (besides Tapco) make an M4 style collapsible stock that mounts in the proper AK fashion? The "stock" stock is a tad long LOP for me and feels like a reach.....

Thank you for all your input on my questions!

I am a new (make that "brand new") owner of a Saiga 12. I am very interested in a proper convervsion, but I'm a little daunted by the idea of cutting up my new receiver. I've already read some of the tutorials available on the web, but I still have some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to yet. I'm fairly handy with tools, but have never had any real "gunsmith" experience.

I was looking at using the Tromix DIY Trigger Guard to avoid having to cut any holes in the receiver. I have a few questions and hoped that maybe someone here would impart some knowledge. :unsure:

If any questions in here have previously been asked then I apologize in advance....

1. IF I use the Tromix DIY Trigger Guard will I have to cut ANY holes?

2. Assuming NO holes need to be cut, would it be possible to convert back to "Sporter" config if I ever wanted / needed too?

3. I have seen "Receiver Back-Plates" for sale for certain stocks. Are they necessary for ALL aftermarket stocks (besides tapco fake conversion)?

4. What happens to the factory Bolt Hold-Open? There is currently a little slot where the lever sticks out. Do I lose that option?

5. Does anyone (besides Tapco) make an M4 style collapsible stock that mounts in the proper AK fashion? The "stock" stock is a tad long LOP for me and feels like a reach.....

1. I did not have to.

2. Yes, but avoid that if you can IMO.

3. Not needed on all stocks.

4. You can keep it if you chose.

5. You can purchase an adapter for the AR buffer tube to an AK.

I hope this helps.

1. IF I use the Tromix DIY Trigger Guard will I have to cut ANY holes? No. Just remove the old TG

2. Assuming NO holes need to be cut, would it be possible to convert back to "Sporter" config if I ever wanted / needed too? The hardest part would be reinstalling the old TG

3. I have seen "Receiver Back-Plates" for sale for certain stocks. Are they necessary for ALL aftermarket stocks? Most folders are the "Ace" pattern that requires the 2-hole plate or block, but some bolt in just like the factory stock, including the Tapco you mention.

4. What happens to the factory Bolt Hold-Open? Some guys leave it out, some reinstall it.

5. Does anyone (besides Tapco) make an M4 style collapsible stock that mounts in the proper AK fashion? I only know of the Tapco.

Edited by BobAsh

ATI also makes a nice M-4 style stock. They can be bought in a kit with PG and AK HGs.

DPH Arms may still have some in stock if you call them. Otherwise, here's what it looks like.

http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_AKStrikefo...age_AKA2300.cfm

As a bonus, it also folds. My friend has one on his S-12 and it's very nice.

...ATI also makes a nice M-4 style stock. ...DPH Arms may still have some in stock if you call them. Otherwise, here's what it looks like...As a bonus, it also folds. My friend has one on his S-12 and it's very nice.

Hey, for general information, will that setup work with the MD Arms Drum, installed?

4. What happens to the factory Bolt Hold-Open? Some guys leave it out, some reinstall it.

Is there a disadvantage to keeping the factory BHO? I would like to retain it if possible, but not if it will cause more trouble than its worth....

Thank you

Also, some "tactical-oriented" guys believe that it compromises the reliabilty of the gun to some degree.

Yup. There have been reports of it getting jammed in the upward position and the bolt carrier getting "locked" back and stuck unexpectedly. IMO, if you are/might use your Saiga to defend your life, this malfunction could cost you just that. On the other hand, if self defense is not a role your Saiga will/might play, then is is a non-issue. The BHO is a great feature for plinking/hunting/competition people.

Although, I don't generally consider myself "tactically-oriented", the thought of my guns jamming up on me never gives me a good feeling, no matter what the situation. And if I can simply take out a part that might cause a malfunction, but that doesn't affect the rest of the functioning if the firearm, then so be it. Better safe than sorry, IMO. YMMV.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The BHO won't give you any problems if you re-install it correctly.

A good majority of people also don't like it because they think it can allow debris to get into the receiver. It generally won't unless you live outdoors or like to bury your guns.

Personally, I keep it with a mag installed and the bolt held open in case I ever need it to employ it at night. No worrying about warped shell casings that way. Just my :2c:

Edit: didn't see the date on this one. that's what I get for googling, opening multiple threads, and drinking XD

Edited by Salmonking