Russian 2 round mag vs. Surefire 2 rounder

I need to get a 2 round mag and I see that I can either get a Russian magazine for $80 or the Surefire for $35. It seems like a no brainer as I can get 2 surefires for the price of the Izhmash but I will need to fire 3" turkey rounds and 3" slugs with this magazine. Just wondering if the Russian mag is worth it or if the Sure fire will hold up under the 3" recoil.

I need to get a 2 round mag and I see that I can either get a Russian magazine for $80 or the Surefire for $35. It seems like a no brainer as I can get 2 surefires for the price of the Izhmash but I will need to fire 3" turkey rounds and 3" slugs with this magazine. Just wondering if the Russian mag is worth it or if the Sure fire will hold up under the 3" recoil.

I just bought the surefire 2 round mag and its the sturdiest mag I own. The material seems very thick and it looks very clean when inserted into the gun. I cant really say anything about the factory 2 round. I have never seen one.

why not just drill & tap a hole for 1/4" bolt in the floor plates of your 5 round and screw in a bolt just far enough to prevent loading a 3rd round?

I can't see how the game dept would look at that as any different than putting a dowel in a tube feed. It would be easily reversible/ adjustable with a wrench, and if it needed more material, you could just epoxy some scrap aluminum to the floor plate, or get one of the metal ones tromix made. Some one must have tried this.

Also with the manufactured 2 round mags, there isn't enough weight in shells to get any recoil damage, or enough magazine sticking out to generate any leverage, so any well made mag should hold up. The above guy says his is well made, so why spend $80 and wait forever for one to come into country?

Edited by GunFun

The problem with 3" stuff in a Surefire mag is when loaded to 13 rounds it has a lot of heft and pressure far from the top of the mag, it's strongest point. I can't imagine a 2 round Surefire would break even if you threw it.

why not just drill & tap a hole for 1/4" bolt in the floor plates of your 5 round and screw in a bolt just far enough to prevent loading a 3rd round?

I can't see how the game dept would look at that as any different than putting a dowel in a tube feed. It would be easily reversible/ adjustable with a wrench, and if it needed more material, you could just epoxy some scrap aluminum to the floor plate, or get one of the metal ones tromix made. Some one must have tried this.

Yes that is an option but I would like to have an actual mag that is shorter than the 5 rounder just so as not to stand out too much more than I have to. Game wardens can be dicks around here especially with a Saiga. Saigastock has the russian ones in stock in the US that is the only reason why I am considering it.

Edited by yoshi76
Those blue shotshells look cool...

Our "Russia" shotgung shell's producers making many different color shells. Also we like brass shotgun shells, that shells may be reloaded many times. And if you use high quantity gunpowder, you must!!! use brass shells. But price for that!!! And if someone can atep on your shell)) on shooting range, and simple you can lose tham.

And we use it only of we going on hunting, with two-barrel shotgun! )

post-14620-1242916951_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242916994_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242917026_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242917053_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242917067_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242917093_thumb.jpg

post-14620-1242917123_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrBormental

Also with the manufactured 2 round mags, there isn't enough weight in shells to get any recoil damage, or enough magazine sticking out to generate any leverage, so any well made mag should hold up. The above guy says his is well made, so why spend $80 and wait forever for one to come into country?

Great idea.

I asked the Colo. Div. of Wildlife officer about plugs and he said it needs to be something that cannot be extracted through the gun, such as dummy rounds.

the other way I thought of doing it would be to put epoxy in the bottom side of the follower leaving clearance for the spring. then drill into that, and tap it and cut some althread or a bolt how ever long that needs to be and then assembling as normal. Then you couldn't take it apart by hand without tools, but it would keep everything internal and stock looking from the outside. all you would have to do would be to remove the floorplates and unthread the bolt(s)to revert it back to 5 shot.

Definitely cheaper to do than spend $30. But If I went duck hunting every weekend or something like that I would probably get a couple of the shurefires.

Edited by GunFun

I have seen it done a few way the easiest is putting 3 spent shells under the follower, others use a block of wood and I have seen a guy use screws but that looks terrible. The shorter mags look less "evil" which is stupid I know but hunters and game wardens really do not get the whole Saiga thing.