Trying to figure out what happened

Hi Everyone

Cant figure out what happened today while shooting my s12....I cycled about 60rounds through it via rapid fire and everything went Good...Then when i popped in a new mag and put one in the chamber..the hammer hit the firing pin but no boom..So i figure it was a dud..then i ejected the round and chambered another one and the same thing..i looked at the second round and the firing pin never made contact with the round :unsure: ...Has this ever happened to any of you?So i then stripped the gun removing the bolt and looking at the firing pin..everything looked ok..and i reassembled it and popped another full mag and chambered a round and boom!!..So i told myself something probably got looses or came out of place while rapid firing..But is this possible? After the incident i cycled another 50 rounds and everything went good..just a few FTE here and there but that is it..Your replies would mean great help to me..Thanx again

Edited by voonman

Unless your hammer face isn't making good square contact with the back of the bolt, and hitting the firing pin good, then it sounds like you got a piece of grit in there somehow and it stuck the firing pin on those two shots. The firing pin is not round in the back. It's rectangular and oblong. It can also turn and make a different kind of contact with the hammer face if something's wrong and it's not hitting sqarely...

Unless your hammer face isn't making good square contact with the back of the bolt, and hitting the firing pin good, then it sounds like you got a piece of grit in there somehow and it stuck the firing pin on those two shots. The firing pin is not round in the back. It's rectangular and oblong. It can also turn and make a different kind of contact with the hammer face if something's wrong and it's not hitting sqarely...

Hi Cobra

Can you take a photo and show me what the hammer should look like making good contact with the firing pin?Thanx

Does the firing pin move freely back and forth in the bolt, and when you move one part does the other part move the same (thinking possible broken firing pin) Just some thoughts from a relative newbie to the shottys

Let us know what it turns out to be.

The firing pin has a spring tension when i push it forward..so as i push it forward a spring will push it back...I need a pic of one to see someone pushing the firing pin forward to see how much it protrudes when it hits the primer..I wanna make sure it isnt broken..

Thanx for the prompt reply and pic

Are you pushing the firing pin with your finger or a tool?

If I push the pin flush at the back with my finger, no firing pin protrudes at the front. I am using a pointed rifle slug to push the pin from the back as far as it will go forwards.

Is your S12 converted? If so, and you used a Tapco hammer, it has to be relieved to even hit the firing pin. But, you can relieve it to where it hits the pin, but is bottoming out on the frame cross member at the same time, which weakens the impact substantially.

Combine that with some dirt........

Also, since the firing pin doesn't protrude when the rear end of the pin is flush, it's an inertial pin. Therefore, the impact amount is very important to making the pin come out with sufficient force to dent the primer.

Is your S12 converted? If so, and you used a Tapco hammer, it has to be relieved to even hit the firing pin. But, you can relieve it to where it hits the pin, but is bottoming out on the frame cross member at the same time, which weakens the impact substantially.

Also, since the firing pin doesn't protrude when the rear end of the pin is flush, it's an inertial pin. Therefore, the impact amount is very important to making the pin come out with sufficient force to dent the primer.

How do you relieve the tapco hammer?And what would be the solution to this problem?

How do you relieve the tapco hammer?And what would be the solution to this problem?

The solution, IF this is the problem, is to grind off the hump that is towards the base, just below the face of the hammer.

Tromix, does this mod before shipping, they also mod the hammer so the BHO lever fits.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=156

Unmodified hammer is on the left, see the hump below the hammer face?

That needs to be ground flat and at a slight angle into the body.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Voonman it's a two piece firing pin. The rear part contacts the spring loaded front part when enough pressure is put on the pin as the hammer smacks it....like gunfixr said. It has to be struck sharply and with full contact. If there's anything else interrupting that strike you won't get a good primer hit. From what it sounds like though, your gun ran fine after you removed and replaced the bolt. It was probably just some grit keeping the firing pin from moving as it should.

Take the pin out that goes through your bolt head and remove it. Then you can clean out the bolt and inspect the firing pin for any damage. Hell I wouldn'r be surprised if you found something wrong with the front part of your firing pin after all the stories I've seen lately about broken ones on the newer guns.

Here's one of mine taken apart....

post-1293-1243052905_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1243052916_thumb.jpg

Voonman it's a two piece firing pin. The rear part contacts the spring loaded front part when enough pressure is put on the pin as the hammer smacks it....like gunfixr said. It has to be struck sharply and with full contact. If there's anything else interrupting that strike you won't get a good primer hit. From what it sounds like though, your gun ran fine after you removed and replaced the bolt. It was probably just some grit keeping the firing pin from moving as it should.

Take the pin out that goes through your bolt head and remove it. Then you can clean out the bolt and inspect the firing pin for any damage. Hell I wouldn'r be surprised if you found something wrong with the front part of your firing pin after all the stories I've seen lately about broken ones on the newer guns.

Here's one of mine taken apart....

post-1293-1243052905_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1243052916_thumb.jpg

Hi Cobra

I dont believe it might be broken..I checked it by protruding it all the way out..it looks fine compared to other ones...I am guessing that it could be some grit or carbon possibly obstructed it after the first 60 rounds..After i disassembled it and played with the firing pin a little then reassembled it..it fired great...I am taking it back out sunday and will cycle another 100 rounds through it to see if anything happens...

The solution, IF this is the problem, is to grind off the hump that is towards the base, just below the face of the hammer.

Tromix, does this mod before shipping, they also mod the hammer so the BHO lever fits.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=156

Unmodified hammer is on the left, see the hump below the hammer face?

That needs to be ground flat and at a slight angle into the body.

I have the Tromix modified tapco G2 FCG.. I think its grinded enough..If i have anymore problems when i go out on sunday i will dissasemble and take pics and post it on this thread and you guys can tell me what could be wrong..I appreciate all the input and pics everyone has posted...Thanx again Guys

Hi everyone.

Quick Update...took my s12 to my friends hunting lease..And cycled 200rounds...Not one misfire....I guess my issue before could have been dirt or grit stuck in the firing pin...I wanna thank all of yall for posting pics and helping me out on this issue..

I know I'm late getting to the game, but I thought I would offer another possibility. Are you sure the bolt was full closed when you had your misfires? If the bolt wasn't all the way forward and locked, it is possible for the hammer to move forward and only strike the bolt carrier and not the firing pin. I know that I have had this happen to me on a few occasions.