What budget optic would you get?

thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know if the UTG dust cover scope mount allows for use of the mounted scope. I see a tunnel under the mount but not sure if it allows a view of the standard mounted scope. It seems kinda small and square for anything but a tight field of view.

Man, that dust cover mount is about the most useless thing you can buy/install, You should really think about other options. I speak from experience.

thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know if the UTG dust cover scope mount allows for use of the mounted scope. I see a tunnel under the mount but not sure if it allows a view of the standard mounted scope. It seems kinda small and square for anything but a tight field of view.

Man, that dust cover mount is about the most useless thing you can buy/install, You should really think about other options. I speak from experience.

+1 to that

I had a NC Star 3-6 Zoom, full coated and waterproof, I really liked it, kept it's zero, and talk about cheap,.. Got a Norinco 3-9 zoom rubberized and Wp, I like that one too, never had any problems, always kept zero FWIW,..

If you want a red dot, on price and quality noting beats the PK-01 with the self adjusting dot. You can see the dot no problems

in bright light at 100 meters no problem as the dot is 1.5 ecxelent for ranges up to 150 meters in small targets.

I have see people with cheap red dot at 12 pm loose the dot as you cant see it at 50 meters on the target forget 100 meters

the small dot of the pk-01 let you shoot targets with out covering the hold targets like must cheap dots do. The little dot self

adjust to the light condition no problems all the time I used it.

I use enclose dots as open ones take a crap on you on rough conditions, all my PK-01 have been under water, drop on, drag true the

bush and abuse a lot and they still there working no problems. Two ways I use them on the original mount on the side of the receiver

or on ultimaks with low rings like that I can see the irons true the red dot and use scopes if I needed on the side mount on the side of the receiver.

The only problem I have is that some times I forget to turn them off, I have got them from 100 used ones to 145 new ones. Never have a problems

with the used ones as must are like new as people do know how to use them and sale them in new condition or get better like the PK-ASV no cheap

but one of the best dots I have use on a rifle.

But what ever you get is your choice. Just my two cents of nonsense.

I've tried several budget optics in the past. If you need something that you can count on to work, the Russian made stuff like the Kobra, and PK-01 are dependable as long as they are not defective. They tend to be rugged, but heavy and bulky. Another one that I would consider is the SPOT. It Has something like a 40 hour battery life, which is kind of short. It is a tube design that can mount low simular to the aimpoint. Most of the other low end stuff are made like toys and don't hold zero or they break easy.

Edited to add:I've not tried the Muller that was refered to above, but their other scopes are not bad for budget scopes.

Edited by cscharlie

Just an update on the tri-mount that replaces the dust cover (Heres the picture.. http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/12301129/avi...NT-970TR_1.jpg) I got it and it fastens down rock solid. The scope fits perfectly as well as the laser. The mount does not move and stayed zero'd after about 150 rounds. I paid $35 and think it is a great bang for the buck. I'll update you all if I encounter any problems.

As an alternative to a red-dot you might consider the "scout scope". The Burris Scout scopes used to go for around $150; probably alot higher now. They're 2-3/4x and have got around 9" eye relief. They let you mount the scope ahead of the action and, according to Col. Jeff Cooper, are great for fast target acquisition. He was a big proponent of the Scout Rifle configuration.

I've got one on a Rem 870 slug gun with a Hastings rifled barrel. It was always quite accurate at 100 yds. and stood up to the beating, but I never cared for how the gun handled with it on and never thought it was much good for fast shooting. FOV at 100 yds is quite cramped (thanks to the long eye-relief); but with both eyes open, it might get on target quick enough. Burris scopes seem to be generally pretty sharp optically.

Mounting it over the gas tube on a rail would be the best option. I think it could be kept fairly low if the rail wasn't too high. However, your iron sights would be useless and the gun would be muzzle heavy.

Think I might pull mine off the shotgun and give it a try sometime. Might be an odd looking puppy. If it feels as clumsy as the shotgun did, it won't be on there long.

Bob

Edited by 555JM
Has anybody tried the "truglo" red dots? They don't seem too bad and they are budget priced. The reviews are very good.

I bought a TruGlo and went to the range with it this morning. I was only able to dial it in at 25 yards due to lightning (liabiliity at the range). I put 20 rounds through it and it worked fine. The bullets all went where the dot was placed on the target. I'll be using it more and if it fails, I'll post the failure, but so far, so good.

I have a TruGlo Red Dot I got for $25 on eBay. I dont really use any zoom with shotguns so its a 1x 30mm Red Dot. It works great for what I use it for and considering you cant even buy some cheap iron sights for $25 it was well worth the money spent. I would general vouch for TruGlo products. I have their fiber optic night sights on my Glock which work awesomely and have had no problems so far with the Red Dot.