Proud New Saiga 12 Owner

Earlier this month I purchased my Saiga 12 shotgun, didn't have time to get around and shoot it until recently. All I have to say is, WOW. Even in the standard Russian American Armory configuration it's a force to be reckoned with. I had some experiences with 12 gauge shotguns when I was younger(wasn't to big a fan of the kick), but I mainly shot rifles. Well I turned 20 and I decided it was time for me to actually buy a gun for myself. So I originally wanted a AR-15, went into the local gun store and he had one(Like the M4). At the same time what caught my eye was the Saiga 12, and i had never even seen or heard of one before this point. He lets me hold the AR-15 and get a feel for it. I just really didn't like the feel of the gun, so i gave it back to him. A guy came in looking for a shotgun and I asked him about the AR-15, and he said as followed "The AR-15 was the biggest piece of **** he had ever fired". I was dumbstruck at what the guy had just told me. So I left and went back to my house. I originally planned to tell my father about the shotgun because he had always wanted an assualt shotgun. Then I got online and hunted through Wikipedia to find what gun i had seen earlier that day, when i found it i knew immediately that the Saiga 12 was what i had seen earlier that day. So i started to think about it and had decieded I would give the guy a call and see if it was a Saiga 12. I was in Ammarillo, Texas working on an Integrex when when I called him and asked if it was a Saiga 12. He told me yes, and to that I told him,"When I get back the gun was sold". For reference I live in Holdenville, Oklahoma. When I got back i went in to put so cash down on it, and narrowly beat someone else to it. The only reason I got it is because I had cash in hand and they did not. Anyways I got it out shortly afterwards and put it up in my closet for a couple of weeks. Then one day i had some spare time on my hands and my friend who is an Ex Marine came over so I showed him my Saiga 12 and he liked it, so i suggested we go shoot it. To which he quite eagerly replied yes(I mainly asked him cause I didnt have the gas to go shoot it, lol). So i let him to take the first shots out of it. I did want to take the first shots myself but as with all high powered guns I wanted to get another persons opinion before i shot it. He dumped 2 mags on the gun, and feel in love with it. I mean he really loved this gun. So i decieded to take a shot at it. I loaded my mag and then took my first shot out of the gun. I was amazed at it performance, as light as the gun was it was easily controllable and deadly accurate. The recoil was barely worth mentioning as I quickly unloaded 2 mags like nothing. The guns cycling was great. the speed of the gun was crazy to say the least, you turely dont sacrifice speed and accuracy when you get this. The range isn't bad either we were popping cups from the top of a bridge, not one of those short bridges either we were at the very least 50-60 feet from the targets. I still sit here and think after shooting this guns,"And I was actually thinking of buying an AR-15". Well I'm glad I bought my Saiga 12 and recommend one to anyone whose looking to buy a shotgun. I even highly recommend this over any of the Benelli shotguns.

Edited by dbmccart

Welcome to the addiction! :smoke:

If you plan on converting it with a new fire control group, you'll be even more amazed; the stock import fcg that is in the thing is junk compared to a good Tapco G2. I couldn't believe the difference when I dropped one in mine!

Glad you like 'er so much. :)

Welcome to the addiction! :smoke:

If you plan on converting it with a new fire control group, you'll be even more amazed; the stock import fcg that is in the thing is junk compared to a good Tapco G2. I couldn't believe the difference when I dropped one in mine!

Glad you like 'er so much. :)

I could do the full conversion, but the length of the gun is comforable for me. So a Fire Control Group is a possiblity but it will remain in the same position as my original one, does that present any problems with the Tapco Fire Control Group? Also if i converted it and wanted to add a muzzle would the conversion cover the 922r compliance? If not what else could i easily switch out to make up for it? Btw does the Paradox muzzle fit on stock threading?

Great read! The only error I found that needs to be addressed is the term CLIP. Magazines (mags) house ammo and feed them into the gun one at a time. A CLIP is used to feed ammo into a mag all at once. ALA stripper clips used in M1 Garand, the Mosin Nagant, and SKSs.

Garand

http://whatacountry.com/images/products/detail/garand5.jpg

Mosin Nagent

http://www.rcarms.com/resources/bulgarian+stripper+clips.jpg

SKS

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/sks_load.jpg

Lots of young guys use the term clip when talking about their mags. It shows inexperience, and it's along the same lines as calling your gun a GAT. :D

Welcome to the club though, I own, have owned, and have shot several different rifles, shotguns, and pistols in my life. NONE of them are as much fun as the Saiga 12 gauge. Like you I bought mine after reading about it on this forum. I had never shot or handled one before, I just clicked the buy it now button and haven't regretted it one bit! I liked it so much that I bought another because I want to shorten it to 18.x" with a polychoke pertinently attached, and an Ace folder stock. Then I shot at a little 3 gun demo and decided I needed a rifle so I could start attending 3 gun events, so I bought a Saiga .223 and 3 30 rnd surefire mags, and converted it exactly like the shotgun in my avatar. Yeah I'm hooked! Fortunately my safe is full so I can't buy anymore... :lolol:

Great read! The only error I found that needs to be addressed is the term CLIP. Magazines (mags) house ammo and feed them into the gun one at a time. A CLIP is used to feed ammo into a mag all at once. ALA stripper clips used in M1 Garand, the Mosin Nagant, and SKSs.

Garand

http://whatacountry.com/images/products/detail/garand5.jpg

Mosin Nagent

http://www.rcarms.com/resources/bulgarian+stripper+clips.jpg

SKS

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/sks_load.jpg

Lots of young guys use the term clip when talking about their mags. It shows inexperience, and it's along the same lines as calling your gun a GAT. :D

Welcome to the club though, I own, have owned, and have shot several different rifles, shotguns, and pistols in my life. NONE of them are as much fun as the Saiga 12 gauge. Like you I bought mine after reading about it on this forum. I had never shot or handled one before, I just clicked the buy it now button and haven't regretted it one bit! I liked it so much that I bought another because I want to shorten it to 18.x" with a polychoke pertinently attached, and an Ace folder stock. Then I shot at a little 3 gun demo and decided I needed a rifle so I could start attending 3 gun events, so I bought a Saiga .223 and 3 30 rnd surefire mags, and converted it exactly like the shotgun in my avatar. Yeah I'm hooked! Fortunately my safe is full so I can't buy anymore... :lolol:

I've used guns that fire striper clips but the large majority of my firearms knowledge comes from the use of Bolt Action Rifle. I've operated a few magazine feed Bolt Actions but the higher calibur bolt actions I have fired were single shots. My brother in law has a SKS(though commonly they use stripper clips to, even though you can buy magazines for them.), but he never has any ammunition for it. As far as refering to my gun a GAT, lol. No, I have to say i'd never do that and unless im was impersonating someone else.

I've used guns that fire striper clips but the large majority of my firearms knowledge comes from the use of Bolt Action Rifle. I've operated a few magazine feed Bolt Actions but the higher calibur bolt actions I have fired were single shots. My brother in law has a SKS(though commonly they use stripper clips to, even though you can buy magazines for them.), but he never has any ammunition for it. As far as refering to my gun a GAT, lol. No, I have to say i'd never do that and unless im was impersonating someone else.
:rolleyes: I'm going to yank your chain some more... Stripper clips/clips aren't fired, neither are magazines... OK, enough anal retentiveness and joking around

Welcome to the S12 club!

Mine quickly became a addiction, especially after the conversion process and selection of accessories, truly personalized it as MY weapon.

The OEM FCG is a jury rigged linkage, slapped together in order to make the gun into a importable sporting configuration.

Moving the FCG forward to its originally designed location, replacing it with a decent FCG, greatly improves balance/handling and a accuracy.

Combined with a pistol grip and a buttstock attaining your desired length of pull, your S12 will become a extension of your body and a more deadly weapon.

Do your homework, save your money, decide which parts suit you best, and then Convert... :ph34r: Convert you filthy infidel, convert or die! :haha:

OH, by the way... I own a couple AR-15 variants, they are great rifles/carbines, quality AR15s are in no way POS.

They are not one of the most, if not the most, popular rifles/carbines in the USA today for no good reason.

They are not the backbone of the US military and other armed forces because they suck... Just the opposite.

Your not liking the FEEL of the weapon was enhanced for a number of reasons.

First and foremost the lack of a loaded magazine, weight and balance completely wrong.

Secondly, a strong chance it was assembled with the cheapest furniture available, i.e. stock, PG & hand guard.

So there you are with a weapon which is out of balance, with bad ergonomics and which you are not familiar... Bad combo.

While there is some cheap junk out there, most are well built, reliable and extremely accurate.

Do your homework, shop around and make a AR your next firearm.

They are great fun to shoot target with, and are in my honest opinion indispensable for home/perimeter defense in a SHTF scenario.

I invite you to learn more about this weapon at www.ar15armory.com

Edited by ChileRelleno

Not to dissuade you from converting but I personally don't mind the trigger on the S12 compared to my other saiga. A lighter main spring helps if you would rather not convert but want lighter trigger pull. Also welcome to the boards and do check out the other saigas available especially if you were looking to buy a AR15 before. A saiga .223 is a very good alternative.

Edited by XXasdf

Welcome to the board!

There is a lot to learn written here! My advice is to take the time and study some of it, then make up your mind what direction that you want your Saiga to take.

Edited by Azrial
Welcome to the board!

There is a lot to learn written here! My advice is to take the time and study some of it, then make up your mind what direction that you want your Saiga to take.

Very good advice.

You guys are just yanking me about the whole technicallity thing right? I mean I don't consider technicallity when I write, I just try to make sure you can understand it. I usually don't spellcheck either. I do use some lolspeak and a bit abreviation slang. Like Fire the Magazine, im clearly refering to emptying the shells/bullets into the gun(Then the firing commences) that the magazine currently possesses. That really doesn't sound that good though. Oh yeah btw anybody know where i can buy a Paradox Muzzle Choke?