MD20 ok to keep loaded for long periods of time?

I did what I thought was extensive searching into this subject.

...but is the MD20 able to hold ammo for extended periods of time w/o damaging the drum itself?

Also, does keeping ammo in the drum "break it in" or does it need to be broken in at all?

thanks again :wub:

Shouldn't cause any harm to it.

I don't think the drum needs much of a break in. I took mine apart just to get a feel for it, then I loaded and unloaded it once, again, to get a feel for it. That's about the only breaking in I did.

Other then forgetting to reset the gas knob and wonder why my shit wasn't working right, it ran perfect the first time I took it out to the range. :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say like any mag that has springs in it you shouldn't keep it fully loaded for longterm storage. I usually load my mags to 80% capacity in case I need them, so put say 16 rounds in it and it'll be fine.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say like any mag that has springs in it you shouldn't keep it fully loaded for longterm storage. I usually load my mags to 80% capacity in case I need them, so put say 16 rounds in it and it'll be fine.

The majority of the gun community says springs don't weaken by resting in either their compressed or extended state. They weaken through the act of cycling from extended to compressed / compressed to extended.

There are polls here, on Glock talk, on Sig forum and probably several other forums. The runaway vote is always: Store your mags loaded or unloaded, and only cycle the springs when you need to.

I don't have a definite answer for you, but as a rule I don't keep any magazine fully loaded for long periods of time. I ruined the spring in a Glock 18 magazine that way. I took it to the range right after I bought it, emptied it twice through a G19, then left it loaded for about 3 months, after which I took it to the range again to empty it. The first eight rounds FTFd, after which roughly every other round fed, then the last ten or so fed flawlessly. Not 100% certain why it behaved this way, but I believe I simply wore out the spring. That being said I never had a problem leaving standard-capacity Glock mags loaded for long periods. Make up your own mind, and if your spring fails buy a new one from Mike :P

The majority of the gun community says springs don't weaken by resting in either their compressed or extended state. They weaken through the act of cycling from extended to compressed / compressed to extended.

There are polls here, on Glock talk, on Sig forum and probably several other forums. The runaway vote is always: Store your mags loaded or unloaded, and only cycle the springs when you need to.

got it.

Thanks much guys.

• 4 weeks later...

got it.

Thanks much guys.

It is my professional opinion (I am a chemical engineer) that mags are going to wear out pretty much regardless of what you do. Polymers flow over time (all of my Saiga mags are mostly polymer unfortunately). If you compress a spring long enough, that "compressed" state will eventually become the normal state of it. That said, I don't know how long it would take. Maybe the polymer will deform before the spring wears out if it is just sitting there. Rapid compression and extension of the spring will certainly wear the sping out faster than anything else.

Rule of thumb... empty > full >> rapidly cycled

I like the 80% idea and that is what I normally do. An unloaded gun isn't a gun at all!

I use the same line of reasoning with regard to keeping things cocked. I like all the springs in my gun to stay in their relaxed positions as much as possible. I have seen a few instruction manuals that agree by suggesting that you don't leave the gun cocked for extended periods of time.

got it.

Thanks much guys.

It is my professional opinion (I am a chemical engineer) that mags are going to wear out pretty much regardless of what you do. Polymers flow over time (all of my Saiga mags are mostly polymer unfortunately). If you compress a spring long enough, that "compressed" state will eventually become the normal state of it. That said, I don't know how long it would take. Maybe the polymer will deform before the spring wears out if it is just sitting there. Rapid compression and extension of the spring will certainly wear the sping out faster than anything else.

Rule of thumb... empty > full >> rapidly cycled

I like the 80% idea and that is what I normally do. An unloaded gun isn't a gun at all!

I use the same line of reasoning with regard to keeping things cocked. I like all the springs in my gun to stay in their relaxed positions as much as possible. I have seen a few instruction manuals that agree by suggesting that you don't leave the gun cocked for extended periods of time.

I run 8rd in my 10rd in my HD S12. As for not keeping the hammer cocked the S12 manual is one you are talking about it says not to keep the bolt back to prevent the mainspring from residual strain.

Not only do I not keep the bolt held open on my Saiga, I have an anal-retentive habit of decocking all of my Kalashnikov actions. I just hold the bolt back far enough for the hammer to contact the rear of the bolt carrier, pull the trigger, and ease the bolt forward until it is in battery and the hammer is down. You know, easing it down because an AK can't take any abuse :P

• 1 month later...
I don't have a definite answer for you, but as a rule I don't keep any magazine fully loaded for long periods of time. I ruined the spring in a Glock 18 magazine that way. I took it to the range right after I bought it, emptied it twice through a G19, then left it loaded for about 3 months, after which I took it to the range again to empty it. The first eight rounds FTFd, after which roughly every other round fed, then the last ten or so fed flawlessly. Not 100% certain why it behaved this way, but I believe I simply wore out the spring. That being said I never had a problem leaving standard-capacity Glock mags loaded for long periods. Make up your own mind, and if your spring fails buy a new one from Mike :P

Sherer Mag or Glock mag?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1911 mag that I left loaded for over 10 years, when I found it I set it aside for testing at the range and it worked just fine. Mags fail. for the same reason that a nail fails that you bend back and forth repeatably. They do not fail in the at rest or compressed state. If they do they were never tempered correctly or otherwise flawed and would have failed in regular usage.